E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > e46 m3 csl

05-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #23
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

never said it was fashoinable, just that it was what those type of people wore, a stereotype
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #24
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post

The E46 M3 is looking old. No doubt of the build quality on the M3 but don't discount the GTS. They airn't as shabby as they used to be.
I drove the brand spanking new GTS right after it launched. It's a good bit of kit, its still behind the M. Not suprising since Holden used the E39 5 series as its benchmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbjj View Post
i dont agree with u totally there. my brother has an evo9 that he has modified heavily, and tracks it. it is fine to drive daily, a little harsh, but no problems. he is an enthusiast, and knows how to maintain the car.

same with the csl, i have seen them being driven by shall we say, those of the "industrie" fashion wearing set, and i doubt they track it, more like they drive it to impress, or to wash some funds.
also, how many porsche owners do u think drive the car to the full potential?
as long as the car checks out fine, then thats the best u can do.
my other brother bought his rs4 2nd hand, interstate even. it has been fine.

well, i would like to know, according to ur logic, what other cars fit into ur buy new or never category?
Yes, because any young person in a late model high end BMW has to be "washing funds" particular those that wear street wear clothing. Awesome generalisation, how many of the 23 CSL's that landed do you think fall into this catagory? Let's be a bit fair, sterotypes are a just that. It'd be like anyone asking a import/Japanese car owner where their V-tec sticker is. Judging someone by the car they drive and clothing they wear is a bit rich I reckon. One of my mates has shoulder length hair and wears black jeans and black t-shirts out, his cars are worth more than anyone who posts here.

Go and check out a Porsche club day. You'd obviously be suprised how many 996 TT's are out getting punted around every time out. You don't think people spend upward of $300k on a supercar and don't use it as it was designed to be used do you?

That said, if you want a CSL get one. They always pop up fairly often for sale and it would seem they are in your price bracket so why not jump on one?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #25
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Porsche GT3 & GT3 RS.
I pretty much will avoid touching any car that has been tracked if i'm looking at a 2nd hand purchase. Either way it's a case of buyer beware, you need to be sure of what your buying.
There is a reason why modded are worth less than the non-modded ones...
When I did the Porsche driver training day, all the cars were new with less than 4000K's on the clock. These cars were driven hard .... and I mean really hard. They will go back into the dealerships and get sold off as demos or ex Porsche Australia executive cars. Let me assure you, these cars are built for this treatment and in no way is a reflection of it's reliability. I know two guys in Sydney with E46 M3's and both have approx 45 - 65K on them now. One has modified and tracks his car as often as he can and the thing gives him minimal trouble. The other babies his car and has had leaking dampers, excessive oil consumption and a list of electronics that as failed.

You also mentioned E46 M3 CSL for A$50K ... please let me know next time as I'd buy it sight unseen.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #26
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
You also mentioned E46 M3 CSL for A$50K ... please let me know next time as I'd buy it sight unseen.
for that price, so would i
      05-30-2007, 04:20 AM   #27
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
When I did the Porsche driver training day, all the cars were new with less than 4000K's on the clock. These cars were driven hard .... and I mean really hard. They will go back into the dealerships and get sold off as demos or ex Porsche Australia executive cars. Let me assure you, these cars are built for this treatment and in no way is a reflection of it's reliability. I know two guys in Sydney with E46 M3's and both have approx 45 - 65K on them now. One has modified and tracks his car as often as he can and the thing gives him minimal trouble. The other babies his car and has had leaking dampers, excessive oil consumption and a list of electronics that as failed.

The example i was giving was for an 2001 E46 M3 (not a CSL) that was track modded (hence unroadworthy) with the addition of a roll cage, race suspension, brakes, fire extinguisher and removed rear seats etc.., from memory it had around 40k or so on the odometer, which anyone who knows track cars is a hell of a lot, especially if it is a 'track-only' vehicle. If your interested keep an eye out on the BMW Drivers Club NSW website in the classifieds section, something similar might come up.
http://www.bmwclubnsw.asn.au/
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0