E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > WIP : 6 CD Changer Install e92

04-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

WIP : 6 CD Changer Install e92

First off, thanks a mil for everyone in the forum for the wealth of info and ready replies for most of the questions. Without the kind of knowledge, I would not dare to venture out playing with such an expensive (although fun) toy..

I wanted to upgrade my sound system, and given the monumental (as in time consuming and reading and re-reading) task it is, I thought I will familiarize with tinkering with my car on a smaller scale.
I thought of undertaking a retrofit of the 6 CD changer install.
My car is a 12/2006 prod E92, with base stereo and Navi Prof.
I am in Dublin, so it is RHD.
It did not come with a CD Changer, but the HU plays MP3. I managed to find a CD Changer cheap enough which is known to play MP3s.
The part number is 65129133083. I called BMW but even they said they cant tell if this plays MP3 until they try it. Well, try I can, and perfect to get some hands on.

So it happens, My car was pretty bald in the left trunk side, so I set on ordering the parts for it.
Holder 6515 6945 072 - €14
Storage Shell 5147 7139 049 - €8
Hex Bolt (4) 0711 9902 932 - €2

I managed to get the CD Changer for €50 .

I have the CD changer bracket on the way, and will update here once I get it. (approx cost is €20)

Now to get my hands dirty..

Apologies for the limited pics, but I will get more in due course.

All info is from this post (official retrofit document) : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4194

So here is the run down:

1. Disconnect the battery (the negative please)
2. Remove the trunk floor panel. (Pretty easy)
3. Remove Plastic trunk Edge Liner (Read on)
4. Remove trunk trim on the left (Read on)
5. Install the Metal Main holder (Read on)
6. Re-organize the fiber optic cables under the left trim of rear seat on the passenger side(Read on)
7. Plug in the CD Changer
8. Code the car (Read on).

1 and 2 are pretty easy, if you cant do it, go to the stealership.

3. Remove plastic trunk edge liner.
Tool used : Flathead screwdriver & Philips screwdriver.
There are four plastic rivets and two philips screws holding this in place.
The rivets are easy to remove, but are very tight. Use the flathead screwdriver to ease the rivet off the edges, working around it. It will pop out eventually. If it has come out too much that the flathead cant do the job, use pliers (slim arm one) to yank it out.
The two screws and under two oval plastic caps u can see from the top. use a thin plastic tool, or a thin flathead to pop it out. It comes off very easily without much resistance. Remove the screws underneath. Now pull this trim into the trunk from its bottom, and gently nudge it off the boot liner on the top. Done!.

4. Left trunk trim.
Tool used : Plastic rivet removal tool , Torx30 , hands.
Remove the emergency triangle first. You can remove the near side hinge which holds this triangle by rotating it clockwise.
Then remove the two plastic rivets using the rivet tool. Use the plastic tool as it makes it easy to apply soem pressure without damaging anything. You can use dual screwdrivers, but the rivet is held pretty tight, so careful while putting in the pressure. You also have to remove the pastic surround of the far left hook. You will need a T30 to remove that screw.
Once done, you can pull the trim along its edges to remove it. It is wedged under the back seat side trim, where you might have to wiggle it a bit to free it. Now you will see, erm, well, nothing much, but some space I intend to fill with some useful stuff :-D

5. Install the main holder.
Tool used : Good ol' pliers (for lack of 8mm hex )
Straight up easy. 4 bolts, 4 holes - 2 on the body and 2 in the bottom. I had to struggle with the pliers as my toolkit did not have the 8mm hex, grrrrrrrrr....

6. Fiber Optic hocus Pocus.
Tool used : small flathead screwdriver.
The retrofit guide explains how to rearrange the cables in the distribution block. In the coupe though, you will have to remove the left trim on the back seat. First, remove the bold holding this plastic trim :

You dont have to take this trim off, but it will loosen the bottom leather side trim so you can pull it towards you. The white clip you see is what holds the side trim, which is just a clip on. Once you remove this trim, you can access the distribution block .
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1335135980
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1335135980
Refer to the retrofit guide as to how to organise the fiber optic cables to add the CD player. The distribution blocks are held by sticky tape, remove it. Then using the flathead screwdriver, move the locking tab, which is on the left side of the block and slide it off the other. Now, to remove the cables, you have to seperate the upper cover of the distribution block. You can do this by running teh flathead screwdriver along both sides of the block(I will get the pics next time, for sure!).
IMP NOTE: When I rewired the cables as per the guide, my ULF stopped working. This issue (and solution) is detailed here.: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392303 Basically, the cable from the upper block should go into PIN2 and not PIN1 as per the guide.
** I have not tried this yet, and I will report the progress as I work on it soon.

7. Plugging in the CD changer is , well, just plug it in. Remove the protective covering off the CD changer prep wiring, and plug it in.

8. Coding the car.
This is one part I am still to get my head around.. One day i will......
Anyway, you need to add option $672 to your VO.
The procedure using NCSEXPERT is this :
1. Select the built in expertenprofil.
2. Read you VIN and VO.
3. Select Enter FA
4. Add $672 to the FA list.
5. FA_WRITE to CAS and FRM (one at a time).
6. Then code factory settings for the module. (the correct settings will be picked from your VO)

I managed to successfully write the updated VO to the CAS module, but FRM is throwing an error, something like wrong ECU settings or something of the kind.. I am going to experiment more, but the above procedure should work.

Anyway, this is a Work In Progress, and I will report my updates here as I make (hopefully) progress!!..

Attachments : CD Changer retrofit guide in PDF ; BSW guide to removing the trunk trims ; and Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Reserved

Reserved for future
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Reserved 2

Just one more.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
beaucz
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92

Did you ever manage to successfully code the cd changer? I am very interested because I have plans to install a Dension Gateway 500 in my e92 335i and I heard that it must be coded for cd changer and mp3. Please keep me updated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucz View Post
Did you ever manage to successfully code the cd changer? I am very interested because I have plans to install a Dension Gateway 500 in my e92 335i and I heard that it must be coded for cd changer and mp3. Please keep me updated.
Thanks
I did code the car yes, but the cd changer software has to be updated..
The CCC does not read the CDs..
If you need to add cd changer, just add it to your FA ( S672 and +KMP3) and code CAPPL ..
Appreciate 0