E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > .

11-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

Last edited by dy63; 11-17-2016 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
afalton
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

Under the centre console under the carpets or behind the dash somewhere that's not easy to find
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Not a good topic to discuss.

Use common sense. Also, it should be hard wired so it should be automatically charged. When thieves disconnect your battery, at that time built in battery will play its role.
      11-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Waspo
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport, Silver

would you really want back your car after it has been thrashed, trashed and crashed?
      06-11-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I know a guy who has two tracker's on his car. When we spoke years ago I thought... not a bad idea because by the time the thief has found one tracker... there may have a sense of relief but they are about to get caught... I wonder if there are fake trackers available out there? Something much like a decoy that gives the same signal except that it is not a registered signal although official in appearance... I guess you could achieve the same effect by charging a mobile phone and placing it in the boot wall or in the dead weight of the trunk... a bit of diversion... but I guess if both could be jammed at the same time with a £15 device that could jam GSM then there is little point. Probably best to do your research on this though. I still think the best one is the Cat 5 that has GSM, GPS and VHF.

In terms of charging... even if the location is awkward there are all sorts of things you could try... you could make one of your cigarette lighter sockets into a charging point or install a fake USB... or have secret pins and cut off switch located somewhere so it charges off the battery and then you kill the power source. Heaven, you could even buy a rechargeable USB battery pack and use that to provide the juice... may require a little thinking out of the box and creativity. Wherever you do decide to put it don't tell anyone (even on here) the location you settled for or how you decided to power it. These days thieves are getting smart and even scan forums or join them. Good luck.

Last edited by Soul_Glo; 06-11-2015 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 04:47 AM   #6
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

no security device is 100% secure but the more you have is the safer the car. I would advise on a tracker, obd security of some sort and may be a steering lock
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 05:24 AM   #7
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
no security device is 100% secure but the more you have is the safer the car. I would advise on a tracker, obd security of some sort and may be a steering lock
Yep,
I have all of the above.

You can only do so much.

Where would I put the tracker? Somewhere I'm never going to tell anyone
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2015, 05:27 AM   #8
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

I do like the idea of having 2 trackers, even decoys. Something to consider!
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #9
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Somewhere in the engine bay if it's waterproof.

They wouldn't look in there!
      06-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #10
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

What I genuinely don't understand is why you'd want the stolen car back. You don't know what the theives have done with it, carried inside it, etc. Isn't it going to be declared as stolen and recovered which will show on the car's record? Surely the insurance pay out would be better, then you can buy a new one. I love my car to bits but if it got stolen, I would not want it back. In my opinion, get a steering wheel lock which will put off most thieves in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Id love mine to get stolen

#gapinsurance
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #12
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep

When I think of the time and money I'd spent on my car I'd be hoping for a successful recovery. Hadn't considered a stolen recovered status tbh.

So I'd have to secretly steal it back
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
When I think of the time and money I'd spent on my car I'd be hoping for a successful recovery. Hadn't considered a stolen recovered status tbh.

So I'd have to secretly steal it back
Have you ever been burgled? It's a horrible feeling knowing that your property/possession has been taken from you by force and without your consent. A lot of people move after being burgled, not only because they fear it might happen again but also because of that horrible feeling that your home has somehow been violated. I expect I'd have a similar feeling if my car were stolen.

Things to consider:
Was it thrashed? Thieves aren't known for their mechanical sympathy.
What state will you find it in? Was it damaged from their break in or joy ride?
Did they use it to carry drugs? Or to get away from a mugging or worse?
I believe it will be marked as stolen and recovered, which the insurance companies and other bodies (HPI? Not sure.) will be able to see.
It will also lose value at resale point due to the stolen and recovered marker.

One of my friends had a tracker on his car. The police did not act very fast at all to get the car recovered as even though the tracking centre could pinpoint the location of the car exactly and immediately, the police needed a crime number, paperwork, etc. before they would do anything. Eventually the car was recovered several days later and in a poor state - the locks has been forced, the door around the lock was dented and scratched and the ignition barrel area was ruined due to whatever brute force method they used to start the car - there were wires and mess everywhere, it was a sorry sight. The car was recorded as stolen but recovered. Then he had to claim on his insurance anyway to get it repaired, and not long after sold it for peanuts as they had lost their attachment to the car after everything that happened. He wished it had never been recovered and he'd just got the insurance pay out for a new car. I can't blame him.

Like you I have spent a lot on my car and it is my most treasured material possession after my house, but if it were stolen, I wouldn't want it back.

The irony with the tracker is that unless you plaster your car with stickers warning that a tracker is fitted, it doesn't even act as a deterrent
Appreciate 0