E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > SA Says You Shouldn't Mix Oils

02-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
Taipei-TT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

Man...$65 at the dealer?

In Taipei, I pay $187 USD...and that is with 20% off! Damn!

Here, BMW is very clear....don't change your oil with them at the recommended interval (10000km), you don't have a warranty. Period. And they have done it...and customers went to the local press and complained...and BMW just read out the warranty conditions and that was that. No warranty.

Highway robbery on an oil change....but I knew that going in so it doesn't bother me. (Oh, this will fit in with the other thread ranting about people like me who say things like this!) But really, what are you going to do if BMW sets this as a condition of warranty coverage?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

you can mix brand oils.............just not weight. I would change service advisors.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #25
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I get a coupon emailed to me every month for what used to be $59.99, now it went up to $69.99. My old one charges $110 but I asked for a discount for the only time I paid (1,200 mi.) and they charged me $71. They make money no matter what they charge.
If I got these coupons every month, I don't think I would ever change my own oil.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDawn View Post
He then tells me that I shouldn't mix oils. Having had Castrol in the car before and then using a different brand is bad for the engine.

Sounds like a load of crap to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
No.

Your SA is CORRECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Anyone assuming SAs are stupid don't understand the business. They (SAs) deal with hundreds of customers a week. Out of 100 customers they maybe get one that hangs out at forums and reads up on all the DIYs and assumes they know more than the SAs. Unless they know you PERSONALLY they're going to simply assume you are just like the 99 other customers who doesn't know anything about cars. So they tailor their spiel to keep their jobs as simple as possible. Trying to explain to anyone that BMW engines require specific API and ILSAC ratings AND BMW's own LL-01 or better spec of a specific viscosity is useless. So they just tell you you can't use anything else or you shouldn't mix it because, well, to explain further would just be a waste of time, only confuse the customer more, and making more work in general for them.
SA is wrong period. I am not saying he can't simplify it; he just can't make blatantly wrong statements. You can't mix brands is simply wrong. All he had to say is that BMW recommends you use a certain type of oil. I would play it safe and just stick to BMW oil. Was that so hard? Did I lie or mislead?
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #27
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
your SA is a funny guy
Funny How??
You mean like a Clown?