E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Power adders/mods: any certain order?

11-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
maddrums79
Registered
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 335i

Power adders/mods: any certain order?

Hey everyone, So, i got my 1st BMW (335icoupe) a few months ago and I' wanting to start adding power. My plan is to try to reach the 500-550hp range. I Don't want to make the kind of power where I have to start building the trans., internals, differential, as this is my Daily. My mod plan/list is as follows:
-jb4
-stage 2 lpfp
-7" intercooler
-alum. charge pipe/bov
-catless downpipes/exhaust

My question is, is there any certain order these should be done in? Or, what would be safe to save for last? I guess my concern is, lets say i save the intercooler for last, will the extra power cause any harm to my car without the cooling from a larger intercooler? Any suggestions would help.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Assuming you've done all necessary maintenance...

1. alum charge pipe/bov -- these can crack on stock boost, would do before *anything*
2. colder spark plugs, ngk 95770 @ 0.022
3. stage 2 lpfp -- this will allow you to run ethanol maps but not pure e85 -- hpfp is the restriction on that
4. catless downpipes/exhaust
5. water/meth kit -- this will allow you to run excess boost/timing
6. I'd get a custom tune now with the water/meth kit but you'll need a re-map after parts later
7. 335is or Spec 2/3 clutch -- stock clutch spun for me at 415whp, it was new-ish (less than 50k)
8. turbo inlets/outlets -- combined these account for something like 30-60whp depending who you ask. With the excessive octane we'll get with e60+meth, you'll get better results than 30.
9. intercooler to maximize results. Skip 5", I'd go all the way to a stepped 7" like VRSF race
10. 3.5bar map sensor -- we want more than 20 psi
11. Custom re-tune needed for new map sensor

You can probably do intercooler and inlets/outlets in any order without any safety concern. A safety concern of mine would be getting sticky tires around step 4/5. A 16-20psi ethanol map will spin most tires in second and maybe part of third if you're still on the OEM run-flats or some crappy other tire.

These should get you north of 500whp. I don't believe people are hitting 550 on stock turbos without nitrous. Is that something you're willing to experiment with?

On the flip side, if you want to simplify everything and avoid e85/meth, you can just get upgraded twins, clutch, downpipes, intercooler and call it a day.
      11-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
maddrums79
Registered
Rep

Thanks tisdrew, honestly I never considered clutches so that's good info. My plan (according to my logic) was jb4 and charge pipe/bov 1st to be able to do the other mods safely. as far as down pipes goes... i was probably going to do upgraded turbos next year and was going to do downpipes at the same time so that i only have to remove the steering rack and subframe once. For the e60 issue, its kinda hard to come by in my area. E85 isn't hard to get though but a water/meth kit was definitely on the list. Thanks again for the info.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
coochjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White 2010 335xi

Like he said go with a charge pipe/bov first due the the stock one being plastic it will burst after a few pulls with a jb4 on map one. I've experienced this first hand and it's not fun having a car down for something simple.
Also throw some intakes in there get rid of the factory air box and free up some space.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
maddrums79
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coochjr View Post
Like he said go with a charge pipe/bov first due the the stock one being plastic it will burst after a few pulls with a jb4 on map one. I've experienced this first hand and it's not fun having a car down for something simple.
Also throw some intakes in there get rid of the factory air box and free up some space.
Did that this past weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

if you want 550whp...i say do maintence first and then save for single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddrums79 View Post
Hey everyone, So, i got my 1st BMW (335icoupe) a few months ago and I' wanting to start adding power. My plan is to try to reach the 500-550hp range. I Don't want to make the kind of power where I have to start building the trans., internals, differential, as this is my Daily. My mod plan/list is as follows:
-jb4
-stage 2 lpfp
-7" intercooler
-alum. charge pipe/bov
-catless downpipes/exhaust

My question is, is there any certain order these should be done in? Or, what would be safe to save for last? I guess my concern is, lets say i save the intercooler for last, will the extra power cause any harm to my car without the cooling from a larger intercooler? Any suggestions would help.
I think you'll have a hard time making that kind of power on tired, OEM turbos and an OEM Transmission.

Necessary maintenance:

1) new low temp NKG plugs
2) new coils
3) new PCV valve
4) new or have relatively new injectors
5) fix any oil leaks
6) new vacuum lines

You'll need to upgrade to our LPFP.

I'd probably start with an FMIC, & a charge pipe.

My next mod would be inlets & outlets coupled with either a better cold air return box (AFE) or get dual cones.

Third would be to get catless down pipes.

You'll probably need to upgrade your Blow Off Valves, as you'll probably have to be over 20psi; most likely over 24-25 to be honest.

You will need new, after market turbos. It's a debate of course which brand to get. Everyone has their own opinion. Personally, I'd stick with tried and true brands that have been around the longest. Rob Beck would be one.

Tune - MHD or Cobb

As soon as you put on catless downpipes, you'll need a tune in order to counter act the CEL codes.

ARM Motorsports & MMP make the best bolt ons for your money. VRSF would be a close 3rd in terms of ROI.

Of course 550 HP won't matter a whole lot, if you don't upgrade your suspension, in order to handle all the power....
Appreciate 0