E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Testing the DIY Dual Cone intake and Track Use

Closed Thread

02-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #67
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I expect an apology from both of you when someone else verifies my data. Wouldn't it piss you off if someone repeatedly called you a liar when you're providing the data that you spent time and money acquiring?
      02-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #68
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
air only gains roughly 5-10 degrees F going through the radiator even at moderate speeds and this is on an 800 hp car with much less airflow through the radiator than a street car would have.
On a side note and note to derail the discussions.

Don't your cars, the race ones, ingest at the base of the windshield where there is a high pressure area? Thought I had read that at one time and I don't think I am delving into any secrets here.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #69
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
On a side note and note to derail the discussions.

Don't your cars, the race ones, ingest at the base of the windshield where there is a high pressure area? Thought I had read that at one time and I don't think I am delving into any secrets here.
Yes that's where the intake for the engine is. We were looking at something else with this test but, it does show that that there is potential for the air traveling through the radiator not to gain much heat even under high load high HP applications if there is a reasonable air flow.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #70
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Here's my setup if you guys are interested. I have been through numerous heavy rain storms with no problems, and I bet the IAT's with this hood are lower than the stocker.
Attached Images

02-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #71
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Here's my setup if you guys are interested. I have been through numerous heavy rain storms with no problems, and I bet the IAT's with this hood are lower than the stocker.
I just hope you went out in the car this morning or else those filters are soaked.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #72
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
That is pretty badass but violates my desire to have a work-appropriate car that I can, simply by swapping out tires and adjusting camber, go rip up the track.

In fact, I might have to get rid of my proven-by-reality/disproven-by-theory intake because I was giving an investor a tour and he grimaced at the "whooooooosh" sound of the intake. Maybe I'll just reinstall for track days.

I am going to miss those extra 2mph though, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 02:32 PM   #73
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I expect an apology from both of you when someone else verifies my data. Wouldn't it piss you off if someone repeatedly called you a liar when you're providing the data that you spent time and money acquiring?
Noone owes U an apology, O-cha. U're just like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (or like Terry used to be sometimes) - once U show us your bright side, do tests, give facts, prove or confute statements, answer questions, fight against evil etc. - the other time U show us what an ass U are.

U jumped in this thread with the worst possible attitude. U could just say "Hmmm, interesting, leftcoastman. I had this setup, made these tests, which approved this setup does not really work for me, so I just bought the UR CAI. I did this and this and this, now I see your experiences are completely different. Could we just discuss and find out what's missing in my equation/where did my tests go wrong/when does this setup work and when not/etc...."

But no, U just jump in, absolutely and 150% sure U are right, cuz your math and your tests and your bulletproof logic proven this setup CAN'T work, so it won't work no matter who sez/does/proves what. So - here U are, U earned it.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #74
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I just hope you went out in the car this morning or else those filters are soaked.
Believe it or not, I was driving in that crap this morning in my car.

Really though, no water or rain related problems whatsoever. Hell, if a little bit of water gets by the filters........I just look at it as free water injection

I've noticed no real difference in performance, but the car for sure feels as strong.....possibly stronger with this setup over the stocker. Now the noises it makes are amazing. The turbo spool is completely audible, and the stock divertor valves are as loud or louder than the AA BOV kit I've heard on another car. The car gets a million looks, I just think to myself "yeah I know, a new beemer isn't supposed to be making those noises is it".

The stock hood does alot to quiet even the dyno glory setup, but the vented hood is crazy loud!!
      02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #75
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Believe it or not, I was driving in that crap this morning in my car.
Are you aware of the event this Sunday down at Silver Dollar Raceway? Myself and DrewKo are planning on attending, just FYI...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #76
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Noone owes U an apology, O-cha. U're just like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (or like Terry used to be sometimes) - once U show us your bright side, do tests, give facts, prove or confute statements, answer questions, fight against evil etc. - the other time U show us what an ass U are.

U jumped in this thread with the worst possible attitude. U could just say "Hmmm, interesting, leftcoastman. I had this setup, made these tests, which approved this setup does not really work for me, so I just bought the UR CAI. I did this and this and this, now I see your experiences are completely different. Could we just discuss and find out what's missing in my equation/where did my tests go wrong/when does this setup work and when not/etc...."

But no, U just jump in, absolutely and 150% sure U are right, cuz your math and your tests and your bulletproof logic proven this setup CAN'T work, so it won't work no matter who sez/does/proves what. So - here U are, U earned it.

When did I EVER say the setup could not work I said "I make no conclusion on if it gives gains". Leftcoastman made the statement that because his post intercooler temps are the same that the cones are intaking the same temperature of air. The statement was directed AT ME. HE'S FLAT OUT WRONG AND I EXPLAINED EXACTLY WHY.

I HAVE done the tests weeks ago I did them before I even got the UR cai, they were posted back then too.

They intake very hot air, I even went through the trouble of putting them back on today to insure my data. They have been performing even worse today since it's hotter out, I did not see a reading below 65 degrees Celsiuses the whole time!

Don't worry, calling me a liar has pissed me off enough that the proof will be here. I do expect an apology from everyone who insinuated that I was a liar. Afterwards we can then discuss in depth why the post intercooler temps are the same.
      02-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #77
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

oh man, I'm so tired... U're the type which will fight for his truth untill death, which is good, but your infallible self-confidency pushes this to an extreme. Why dont U just relax?

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #78
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
oh man, I'm so tired... U're the type which will fight for his truth untill death, which is good, but your infallible self-confidency pushes this to an extreme. Why dont U just relax?
If you watched a temperature probe for a week and someone tried to tell you that you retarded and you cant tell the difference between the number 35 and 70 wouldn't you be pretty confident you are in fact not blind?
      02-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #79
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

One thing I'd be curious to see is the temperature of the air directly behind the radiator, to see how warm it actually is, and how much of an impact to could realistically have. I find it somewhat hard to believe that it's 60+ degrees C right behind the radiator when air is flowing over it at 80 MPH+, but I could certainly be mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #80
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
One thing I'd be curious to see is the temperature of the air directly behind the radiator, to see how warm it actually is, and how much of an impact to could realistically have. I find it somewhat hard to believe that it's 60+ degrees C right behind the radiator when air is flowing over it at 80 MPH+, but I could certainly be mistaken.
Don't worry I'll post a video in the next few days since my word is not good enough for some reason all of a sudden. Even though I have no reason to lie.
      02-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #81
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't worry I'll post a video in the next few days since my word is not good enough for some reason all of a sudden. Even though I have no reason to lie.
You really need to do something about that chip on your shoulder.

We all know what you are talking about. No one said you're a liar. It's just their data and yours don't jive. Which shouldn't be a surprise considering you are recording temps in two different spots. That said it's your attitude towards others that brings on confrontation.

BTW, why would any one esle have any reason to lie about this stuff (short of a vendor trying to move some product)? I don't think anybody is sitting here thinking "How can I discredit this O-cha guy? I'd like to make him look like an ass on the internet". You handle the latter all by yourself with your short fuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #82
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
I didn't say you were lying. I just said I was curious to see what temps behind the radiator would be like, and wondered if there might have been something else contributing to your high pre-turbo temperature readings.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #83
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I didn't say you were lying. I just said I was curious to see what temps behind the radiator would be like, and wondered if there might have been something else contributing to your high pre-turbo temperature readings.
He's was talking about leftcoastman not you.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 02-27-2008 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #84
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
You really need to do something about that chip on your shoulder.

We all know what you are talking about. No one said you're a liar. It's just their data and yours don't jive. Which shouldn't be a surprise considering you are recording temps in two different spots. That said it's your attitude towards others that brings on confrontation.

BTW, why would any one esle have any reason to lie about this stuff (short of a vendor trying to move some product)? I don't think anybody is sitting here thinking "How can I discredit this O-cha guy? I'd like to make him look like an ass on the internet". You handle the latter all by yourself with your short fuse.
Leftcoastman did. The data does jive, I explained it several times now. I never said leftcostman was lying, I explained why if his data is accurate it is that way.

Get leftcoastman to admit truthfully that his cone filters are intaking 70 degree celsius air temps and you want hear another word.

Until then I will do my damnedest to make sure the community knows exactly what is going on with these filters instead of believe what hes telling them which is that theres no difference between them and stock. Which is a load of crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
Surely, if all that evacuated heat was being fed to the dual cones, putting the stock intake in would have resulted in lower IATs. Unless of course your theory is that the IC is so damn efficient that even a drastic bump in "at cone" temps would be negated by the super duper IC that we have, lol.
That's pretty straight calling me a liar and claiming that temps are the same.
      02-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #85
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I am not an expert in this but I would agree with ocha, but thats my opinion not saying I am right or wrong..I used the old touch the "CAI tubing to feel how hot or cold it is test after driving the car really hard with many WOT runs and car temps were 240ish and then letting the car idle for five minutes before I opened the hood to feel the piping.. I opened the hood and touch the cai near the top where the air box use to be and it felt warm to hot, so my next spot to touch was near the fender all the way down as much as my hand can go before it disappears into the front bumper...The CAI piping was actually pretty cold and there was definately a difference in temperature..It was cold to the touch and not even warm, but the more you went up it got warmer, but not hot to the touch...That being said I know the CAI is doing it job...I cannot see the open hot air intake doing any good for a engine that thrives on cold air...The CAI seems to work wonders...But again that my opinion...I am not sure about the IC and what effects they have on the intake temp, but I know which one is better for sure
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #86
stillclaimndp
Dancing Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90 ZSP

Quote:
Lol, you're a bastard for quoting O-Cha and therefore circumventing my "blocking" of his posts. But it's ok, your post gave me a good chuckle.

It shouldn't be baffling, though. If you paid a ton of money for something and someone else produced good results for 1/10th the price, wouldn't you be pissed? Wouldn't you defend your decision with vigor?

Anyone else find it ironic that the guy I am trying to ignore - has more posts in my thread than I do?

I'm headed back to the track in a few weeks. Anything else you guys want tested?
lol.
2007 e90 & 1981 Corvette Predecessors: 2007 BMW 335i E92, 2006 M5, 2008 Viper SRT10 Coupe, 2005 Viper Yellow, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2006 S4, 2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 2006 GTI w/ DSG, 06 Evo IX, 04 S4, 04 911x51, 03 Evo VIII, 98 Eclipse GSX, 96 GST, 92 Galant Vr-4, '70 Grand Prix Model J, '70 Nova, '68 Firebird
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #87
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Quote:
I am going to miss those extra 2mph though, lol.
What two mph? Those aren't related to the intake anyway. At least you don't have proof... It's probably that you were sucking in extra air through that gigantic hole you put in your hood that no one knows about. That why your investor rolled his eyes wasn't it? JK
      02-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #88
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I think it's somewhat irrelevant what the IAT's are if leftcoastman has monitored his car with the twin cones and has more HP without noticeable boost decay or performance loss with time on a race track. Even if the IAT's may be higher, it doesn't appear to be a problem. Certainly a just as free flowing intake that has lower IAT's would be preferable, but not as cheap. I think your both right. Lets just drink a beer.