E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Quick & Dirty Engine Air Filter "Mod"

02-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
GSXR
Registered
Rep
Drives: K6GSXR750

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR View Post
Well I HAD a bike, ate it, broke another collar bone lol and it was going to cost more than a grand to fix the bike minus plastics, it was already salvage so I figured ill just sell it and get a car but waiting till I start work in April when I recover, unless I find the right one, not that many with low miles right now
10-4. Broken collarbone is pretty miserable, but I'm glad you made it out with just that. Good luck finding the ride. It's tough to find exactly what you want with the diesels in the used market, but definitely opt for sports package.

Out of curiousity, why go from a gixer to a diesel bimmer? I would've suspected a pure sports car if its a bike replacement.
Well I had a v8 impala and that thing killed gas for no reason, dont have kids nor married so got the bike for daily commute and gave my car to my sister. and looking into cars I'm in the 35kish market for my next car and I have seen some of these go for way less with less options and after reading here Im really interested In the engine being diesel, dont really care for it being s bmw not a materialistic person but what
really caught my attention is the warranty bmw offers compared to getting a cheaper faster American car right now Ive always been in the American 'built not bought' mentality wanting to build my own but seems like bought not built is pretty good fuel consumption wise with all that torque lol
I also drive alot so fuel consumption is something I considered after having the impala pumping every 3 days
I'm also taking classes here and there for alternative fuels and just really interested in trying different things, I use to work converting vehicles from gasoline to compressed natural gas, pretty fun job alot of r&d but I stopped because I'd rather work on vehicles then be an 'installer'
Living by the Los Angeles ports gives me alot of opportunities since all of the big rigs ate alternative fuels phasing out the original dirty diesels
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
^gotcha. The picture is becoming a bit more clear. I'll tell you, the diesel is my high-mileage daily and I couldn't be happier with it. I would say that it is a good compromise, but it honestly compromises very little. Have you driven one yet? It's w hole different ride than that impala (and you don't have to deactivate cylinders to get killer hwy mileage.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #25
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

GSX buy the DIESEL you wont go wrong but be sure to read everything on it

Rotor guess what I screwed you over AGAIN!! LOL I forgot this time to send you the info LOL Anyway the Complex administrator FOUND the correct points of measurement and the President of the Urbanization concured and VIOLA we start construction TODAY!! I gave them 3" of my turf but trust me I will mark them.Damn you know, I lost sleep on this sheit!!! Anyway send me a txt this afternoon at 787-459-4518 so that I can remember to send you the pics ok!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
Is there a K&N? Don't recall seeing that answered yet?
      02-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #27
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

There is a K&N drop in look for it either at PEP Boys or whatever or order it thru BMS. The only thing I got out of my AMSOIL Cone filter was the car to respond (i.e. less turbo lag) way better than stock but the mere fact that the engine compartment is SEALED I did not want to risk a heat factor into my engine, waiting for better intake to install if ANYONE can come up with one. I am planning to got to MECHTEC College a reknown performance and Mechanic school that has won many 1/4 mile races here in PR and in the states. they now have campuses in Orlando. A very good school for mechanics!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
dL_EVO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 EVO IX, 2011 BMW 335D

Has anyone considered going through the opening for replacing headlight bulbs in the passenger fender liner to run some type of ram air style with a cone filter?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
Got_Diesel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL_EVO View Post
Has anyone considered going through the opening for replacing headlight bulbs in the passenger fender liner to run some type of ram air style with a cone filter?
We have turbos that boost to 26 psi. A ram air will not make much difference if any at all. Just like a cold air on a turbo doesn't do much either because the air still gets warmed through the turbo and cooled through the intercooler. that turbo will pull all the air it can.

Unlike an N/A motor where you need to get as much as you can in with help.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #30
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got_Diesel View Post
We have turbos that boost to 26 psi. A ram air will not make much difference if any at all. Just like a cold air on a turbo doesn't do much either because the air still gets warmed through the turbo and cooled through the intercooler. that turbo will pull all the air it can.

Unlike an N/A motor where you need to get as much as you can in with help.
It has been demonstrated on the 335i via numerous back-to-back dyno testings and intake comaprisons that a true CAI is a benefit resulting in hp gains. Hotter airgoing into the turbo isin a less condensed form. If that air is colder it is densor and the output temps are also likey to be cooler irrespective of the fact that there might some thermal gain after running through the turbos. The same concept applies when running an open air filter element - the heat of the engine bay gets sucked up and can actually result in a loss of power.

Last edited by cssnms; 02-06-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Chris very tru when I had the AMSOIL cone filter at the begining the car was bat out of hell once the engine compartment got hooter the car although ran good was not as efficient as before
Appreciate 0