E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Misfires?

01-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #23
andy92782
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 C2S, '04 4Runner 4x4 V8

My car just had new spark plugs put in not too long ago per regular maintenance... sigh.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 05:50 AM   #24
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
well it can be also on mt sometimes on a cold start
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
SliverBullet
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k726 View Post
Had this exact problem. No codes. Had to really drive the car hard to finally get codes. Once I did new plugs and coils did the trick. Hope this helps. My SA kicks ass and so does my tech, and it still took a while to get BMW to approve the new hardware.
I assume you go to South Motors BMW? Who is your SA? I recently have been working with Danny Devila from Red Team. He actually has a e92 335i coupe.

BTW, have you seen the SA who is a chick (chocolate) who has very big ASSets?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #26
aah78
-
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i, 2014 BMW 550i

Arrow

My car suffers from this misfire issue too.
This continued even after I changed my spark plugs myself around the 50k mile mark.
(Obviously, the dealership didn't bother when I went in for my last "in-warranty" service as it isn't part of CBS).

Later on, I took my car to BMW of Westchester and they wanted to change all my spark plugs again just to diagnose the issue.

A few weeks back (car around 68k miles) I got the rough idle (rpm needle went haywire and Service Engine Soon light On). Service fellows changed out injector & spark plug on cyl 3. Thankfully this happened close to the dealership, so I could drive there.

The misfire issue still persists.
I have to call and check whether my car is covered under the injector recall, and whether I can get re-imbursed for my previous bad injector.

BTW, any recommended service centers around the NYC area, (or even Baltimore area)?
BMW of Westchester was alright initially as long as car was under warranty.

Last edited by aah78; 01-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: editing out dealership-reviews for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #27
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
My car suffers from this misfire issue too.
This continued even after I changed my spark plugs myself around the 50k mile mark.
(Obviously, the dealership didn't bother when I went in for my last "in-warranty" service as it isn't part of CBS).

Later on, I took my car to BMW of Westchester and they wanted to change all my spark plugs again just to diagnose the issue.

A few weeks back (car around 68k miles) I got the rough idle (rpm needle went haywire and Service Engine Soon light On). Service fellows changed out injector & spark plug on cyl 3. Thankfully this happened close to the dealership, so I could drive there.

The misfire issue still persists.
I have to call and check whether my car is covered under the injector recall, and whether I can get re-imbursed for my previous bad injector.

BTW, any recommended service centers around the NYC area, (or even Baltimore area)? I'm not comfortable going to BMW of Manhattan. Their bad reviews outweigh the good reviews.
BMW of Westchester was alright initially as long as car was under warranty. Now, service advisors are sometimes difficult to get hold off, and they have difficulty giving long-distance loaners / rental cars.
u dont have a tune?
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
aah78
-
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i, 2014 BMW 550i

Arrow

Nope - fully stock! I've kept this one fully stock as I'm currently working out of state and hence, have to drive a lot for work.

I may start modifying with uprated suspension, exhaust, etc. once the stock ones wear out. But for now the Sports Package and 300 bhp is enough for me.
I wish I had chosen the manual transmission, though the ZF auto box works great.

My only psuedo-mods include the black grilles & black-line tail lamps.

ps. btw I've heard that because the black grilles are made by BMW Performance, they improve horsepower by upto 2 bhp.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #29
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy92782 View Post
My 335i has what I believe to be an intermittent misfire problem. Occasionally when idling (such as at red lights), the motor will (based on my perception) misfire/stumble. You can feel it in the car and hear it from the exhaust. After it's done it a couple times, the ECU will increase the idle RPM up to about 750 from the default ~600. This is annoying for several obvious reasons. I never get an SES light.

My car has just under 48K on the clock. I've got an appointment for tomorrow morning for them to take a look at it along with a couple other minor things before the warranty expires. I'm hoping there will be some misfire codes stored in the computer for them to investigate. Does anyone have any experience with this? If they say they can't find anything wrong with the car (and I'm more than half expecting this to be the response), is this a sign of things to come? The car is stock, always has been and it's still on the original HPFP & injectors.
I have exactly the same on my 07 E93 after that the dealer replaced all 6 injectors (to cure high rpm misfires) with the new part # injectors.

Had to escale the problem (4 times to dealer for it) up to the general BMW engineer for Belgium. He inspected the car and stated: this "unstable" idle is NORMAL for a lean burn Direct Injected Engine.

No way to persuade him that my car was running fine for 2 years and 20K and that the problem appeared only AFTER the injector swap.

Last edited by marconi118; 01-10-2011 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0