E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > correction after removing numbering

08-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
tdavis42
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 328i ZSP AT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
correction after removing numbering

What can I do to get the slight difference in clear coat and paint gone after removing the numbering of a 10 year old car? It is not very noticeable but it is there in the right light.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis42 View Post
What can I do to get the slight difference in clear coat and paint gone after removing the numbering of a 10 year old car? It is not very noticeable but it is there in the right light.
You could try polishing ?
      08-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The "ghosting" is likely due to the difference in UV exposure on the exposed paint vs. the area that was covered by the numbering.

As suggested, you may be able to eliminate this difference by machine polishing the entire vehicle to restore optimal clarity to the clear coat.

Check out our Detailing Guide for step-by-step guidance on the detailing process, including machine polishing.

You will also find plenty of helpful articles on our Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Zach McGovern
Pro Detailer
DI Ask-a-Pro Blog Author
Appreciate 1
tdavis42180.50
      08-28-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
tdavis42
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
The "ghosting" is likely due to the difference in UV exposure on the exposed paint vs. the area that was covered by the numbering.

As suggested, you may be able to eliminate this difference by machine polishing the entire vehicle to restore optimal clarity to the clear coat.

Check out our Detailing Guide for step-by-step guidance on the detailing process, including machine polishing.

You will also find plenty of helpful articles on our Ask-A-Pro Blog.

Zach McGovern
Pro Detailer
DI Ask-a-Pro Blog Author
Would you recommend polishing the whole car or just the offending spot and around the spot where the numbering was?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

That depends on the condition of the rest of the car. If the paint has superficial defects or is weathered, then you will likely benefit from polishing the entire vehicle.

If not, you should be able to do some spot correction around where the numbering was.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
tdavis42
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
That depends on the condition of the rest of the car. If the paint has superficial defects or is weathered, then you will likely benefit from polishing the entire vehicle.

If not, you should be able to do some spot correction around where the numbering was.

-Zach
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me then. I have this https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-RB61G-C.../dp/B00O9G4FZC what pads and or polishing compond do you reccomend?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately you will probably not see considerably results with that type of machine. Those are generally only useful for spreading wax (notice in the description it states: "Works up to 4,800 Orbits Per Minute, perfect for applying wax onto cars"). Actual paint correction requires a more powerful tool like the Griot's Garage 3rd Generation Random Orbital Machine.

Griot's Garage vs. Ryobi
  • 6800 vs. 4800 Max OPM
  • 7 amp vs. 0.5 amp motor

Here is a list of basic items I recommend for people looking to get started with paint correction...

Quote:
Here are some of my personal recommendations....

Buffers:
Griot's Garage 3rd Gen DA Polisher - Affordable, Effective, Reliable, and most of all SAFE FOR EVERYONE TO USE! This product is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty.

Backing Plates:
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads - I typically recommend Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, and Black Finishing Pads as a basic starter kit. At least 2 of each in the 5.5" size and at least 1 of each in the 3" size. If your budget allows for it, purchase more pads!

Compound & Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

Microfiber
Quality microfiber is one of the best investments you can make. You must make sure that only the best products are touching the surface of your car so that you are not scratching or damaging the surface.
Black & Yellow Towel - Perfect for removing polishes, sealants, waxes, etc. Plush on one side and shorter nap on the other. My go to towel for most of the work I do!
Double Thick Edgeless Towel - Perfect for quick detailers, rinseless washing, and other tasks where plush towels are needed.
Black All Purpose Towel - A must have towel! The black color helps to hide any stains that may occur during use. I use these towels exclusively on wheels, exhaust tips, engine bays, and other dirtier areas.
Micro-Restore Microfiber Detergent - Works great to clean your microfiber and help them maintain that "like new" softness.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you've got any questions!
Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
tylerboland01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Recently removed my badge and the paint had some ghosting. I ended up having to wet sand(2500 grit) followed up by a pass of M150, and a finishing Polish. The ghosting is completely gone, but it's definitely not a job you want to try unless you've wets sanded before.
Appreciate 0