E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Spare Tire Q's

06-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Milisim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BSM F30

Spare Tire Q's

I know a lot of Canucks are taking to horrid bone jarring RFT's off the car....

It seems to me there are 2 options in play..

M Mobility Kit and a Donut......

Which one are you guys using?

If you own a donut that fits where did you get it from and how much ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: A6 Allroad

M mobility and CAA
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
M mobility and CAA
+ 0.5

Continental Tire ContiComfortKit (available from TireRack.com for $79) and CAA. I never have had the need to use mine yet so don't know how well it works. My sealant is going to expire in 2009 tho. So hopefully I don't find the need to use it...

If you want cheaper...you can probably get the AirMan from Crappy Tire. The sealant is made by Dunlop and the kit is a bit cheaper:

Quote:
Airman Tire Repair Kit
$49.99
Product #09-5065-8

• Airman Tire Repair Kit combines a powerful 12V air compressor with Dunlop sealant to effectively seal a tire puncture
  • A tire can be repaired in about five minutes by following six easy steps
  • A repaired tire can be driven up to 300 km at a maximum speed of 80 km/hr
  • Easy to use and is a safe alternative to using a spare tire or waiting for roadside assistance
  • Air compressors can be used for all inflation needs (tires, bicycle tires, air mattresses, sporting equipment), 2 adapters included for sport equipement, balls and one high volume accelarator
  • Rapid 12V Air Compressor with Dunlop Tire Sealant
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
me92
Rep
Drives: 335

i have a pack of Excel (get the original favor, not those "splash" ones) and zippo lighter and a mini 12V air compressor in my trunk. it works like a charm :P
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
m-technik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335, E36 Ti, Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
+ 0.5

Continental Tire ContiComfortKit (available from TireRack.com for $79) and CAA. I never have had the need to use mine yet so don't know how well it works. My sealant is going to expire in 2009 tho. So hopefully I don't find the need to use it...

If you want cheaper...you can probably get the AirMan from Crappy Tire. The sealant is made by Dunlop and the kit is a bit cheaper:

I purchased the airman kit from Canadian Tire for $49. When I compared it to a friend’s Conti kit, I would guess both airman and Continental are using the same manufacturer for the air compressor unit since they look and function pretty much identically to one another. I'm guessing you are just paying extra for the "Continental" brand.

I’ve used the air compressor (not the sealant) on a number of occasions and it work quite well and inflates a tire reasonably quickly considering its compact size and the fact that its running off of your car battery. Its safe to say that for the price it’s the best solution out there.

Here are the products:

AirMan:
http://www.activeproducts.com/downloads.php

Conti:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I got the Conti kit too,
But here's a tale for you:

When I was driving on the 407 last winter,
On came the tire pressure indicator,

So I pulled over in time to see,
That the tire was half off the wheel..

Since there was no place for the sealant to go,
I needed BMW roadside to get a tow...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechUT View Post
I got the Conti kit too,
But here's a tale for you:

When I was driving on the 407 last winter,
On came the tire pressure indicator,

So I pulled over in time to see,
That the tire was half off the wheel..

Since there was no place for the sealant to go,
I needed BMW roadside to get a tow...
You mean the tires sidewall had completely separated from the wheel? And you didnt notice this until the tire pressure indicator warned you?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

these sealant kits, after it seals the puncture do you still need to bring the tire to a shop to get it repaired after?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
m-technik
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei View Post
these sealant kits, after it seals the puncture do you still need to bring the tire to a shop to get it repaired after?
The kit states that the sealant is good for up to 300kms. I know of some people that have run on sealant for months, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I’ve heard that if left inside the wheel for long periods of time, the sealant can cause some serious corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
You mean the tires sidewall had completely separated from the wheel? And you didnt notice this until the tire pressure indicator warned you?
A bunch of warning lights came on, including the low tire pressure indicator. I was going pretty fast on the ramp from the 404 to the 407. Slowed down and pulled over when there was a safe spot, but I think that was enough time / distance for the leak to lose a lot of air, and the tire to start sliding off.

Believe it or not, the tire was partially off the rim, and it felt "off", but not drastically so!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
davig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milisim View Post
I know a lot of Canucks are taking to horrid bone jarring RFT's off the car....

It seems to me there are 2 options in play..

M Mobility Kit and a Donut......

Which one are you guys using?

If you own a donut that fits where did you get it from and how much ?
Leatherz for compact spare-it's pricey because you probably need a spacer as well-I paid over $300US as I recall. I use it on trips where I might be several hundred miles from the nearest place that could get me a replacement tire, or has no cell coverage. I carry a mobility kit in the city and my cell phone.
As BMW will never offer a compact spare as an option, I will never buy another BMW-just my editorial comment.

335i coupe, pss9s, F1 GD3
C5 Z06
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-technik View Post
I purchased the airman kit from Canadian Tire for $49. When I compared it to a friend’s Conti kit, I would guess both airman and Continental are using the same manufacturer for the air compressor unit since they look and function pretty much identically to one another. I'm guessing you are just paying extra for the "Continental" brand.

I’ve used the air compressor (not the sealant) on a number of occasions and it work quite well and inflates a tire reasonably quickly considering its compact size and the fact that its running off of your car battery. Its safe to say that for the price it’s the best solution out there.

Here are the products:

AirMan:
http://www.activeproducts.com/downloads.php

Conti:
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp
I purchased the Airman a few months ago and thankfully haven't had to use it. But does anyone know where to get a replacement sealant bottle with hose? I don't think Canadian Tire even carries it, at this point my understanding is that should I ever need to use the kit I'll have to buy a whole new one later. Sure at $50 it's much cheaper than the M Mobility kit that does have replacement bottles available, but it just seems like such a waste to throw it away (unless I want to keep it for the air compressor).
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0