E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sound Options

05-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330I

Sound Options

Hello everyone.
So i have had my 330i for about 5 months now. The only mod i have is the stage 2 AA tune. Im really enjoying the car, and the only thing im missing is the sound. This car is far too quiet for my liking and i want to add some nice sound. Not TOO loud, and i definitely dont want that farting sound, dont want my car sounding like a civic.

I was wondering what you guys would suggest. I dont want to spend more than $500 or so. Intakes are out of the question. The good ones are over my budget and the ones under $500 are not worth it. I dont want to LOSE power from heat soaking, and only be able to hear my car when i step on it hard.

Obviously the performance exhaust is way out of my price range, so i believe that leaves me with two options. Muffler delete or get a muffler such us a magnaflow. Not sure how they sound on these cars though. Anyways im wondering what you guys would recommend, is there maybe a third option im missing? Im sure people out there have lot's of different setups.

Thanks for your time!
      05-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 LCI

I'm running a muffler delete but replaced the stock resonator with a vibrant resonator. I think it cleans up the sound a bit. I don't have any vids but basically it sounds like a muffler delete.

If you want to go JDM style with a single tip muffler, there's a member that used a HKS universal muffler which IMO sounded good. But I hate the single tip look.

There's a good amount of magnaflow vids on youtube on n52 e90s. I don't think they change the sound that much but I never heard one in person either,
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 330i

Magnaflow

I've been running a magna flow muffler for a little over a year now and I couldn't be happier with it. I have the 3.0l N52 (with AA) so it should sound incredibly similar on your 330i. There is very little drone, just enough added volume that passengers sometimes will ask if the exhaust is aftermarket (if the windows are down and I'm driving hard). Occasionally if I'm in DS there will be a little gurgle on the downshift (which I love). I left the secondaries and the resonator alone. Overall, I love the aggressive yet refined sound that comes from our inline 6 engines!

Based on your description of "only wanting to hear the car when you step on it," I think this is probably one of the best solutions for you that stays beneath $500.
      05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'd like to throw in a new option. Rogue Ikon muffler. FANTASTIC. I have that with a resonator delete. I did the resonator delete when I had the stock exhaust, and it was a total waste of money IMO barely any change if any at all. All I know is now with the ikon muffler and resonator delete I have the exact sound I wanted from this car. I actually prefer it to the PE!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
I'd like to throw in a new option. Rogue Ikon muffler.
I've heard good things about this muffler^
I researched it very briefly when shopping for my exhaust but I wasn't able to find it for less than $550. This was a year ago so prices may have dropped since then. Definitely a good option though!
      05-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys, i found a few clips of both mufflers and the Rogue Ikon sounds better in my opinion but damn the cheapest i can find is $550 + shipping + install
      05-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep

Hey Mark i also sent you a PM< can you let me know which magnaflow muffler you have, thanks
      05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Mark06
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingBredE90 View Post
Hey Mark i also sent you a PM< can you let me know which magnaflow muffler you have, thanks
Figured I'd just respond here so that others can see as well.

I have the Magnaflow 11226, which is a 2.5" muffler. The exhaust shop used 2.5in piping from the resonator back. The same style muffler is available with 2.25in via part # 11225. Both are single output mufflers so I put a polished stainless steel tip on it so the gap in the bumper wouldn't look huge.

If you want a dual tipped muffler, the Magnaflow 12148 will do nicely. I did not buy this one because I was concerned about fitment issues since the inlet is centered, not offset (see pictures). Turns out either will fit.
An e90post member posted a video of the 12148 muffler w/ resonator delete on his 06 330i here (post #21): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163260

Happy modding!
Attached Images

05-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
RingBredE90
DTMRacer
Canada
Rep

Thanks Mark. The one below looks very nice too, and doesn't sound too loud, which is good. I guess the E46 and E90 cars will sound the same...

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/d...rtnumber=14815