E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Virginia Speeding Hell...

11-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #23
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M3/E90/SSII/19s

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Damn anything over 80 is reckless shit. What if your on the interstate where the speed limit is 70, does that still apply? Here in Texas i've had tickets that were 92 in a 70 and 101 in a 70(on my bike). But all I got was a speeding ticket paid the fine and that was it.
Yes, even 81 in 70 zone is Reckless, I found out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Did he get you on radar?
Yep, picked me out of the caravan... Several old crappy cars passed me, before I got pulled over in my nice brand new M3...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K330i View Post
5 months......?

when clean record is mentioned it is a relative term that usually means 2-3 years. saying that; he probably ran your license and found a 'history' which probably didn't help your case at the time (or in january).

good luck though......
Yep, just got my license 5 months ago. Before I had a Dutch license for 13 years, but needed to change to US as I bought the car in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMLAW03 View Post
OK, So here is the deal in Virginia. . . If you present the Judge with certain evidence that your speedometer is not working correctly, the Judge MUST consider the evidence. The acceptable evidence is a certified speedometer calibration.

Of course there is no guaranty that the Judge will reduce the fine, but I had the Judge reduce reckless (81 in 55 zone) to a faulty equipment charge by introducing certification that my speedometer was inoperative.

A year prior I had another Judge reduce speeding 15MPH over the limit to 5 over the limit on certification that the speedometer was off by 5 MPH.

If your record is clean usually just appearing in court with a sob story will get some reduction.

I have plenty of experience, both from representing myself, and from my days representing the state in the commonwealth attorney's office.

I do recommend a good attorney as well.
I found one through Tixnix.com or so, a guy told me he knows the judge and good change no Reckless wil appear... what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
What road, I hate driving to JMU to visit my brother, that road sucks from West Virginia to Harrisonburg, VA
I-95 Emporia, Virginia!!!

I'll drive around it next time, no matter how far. It'll be the last penny I spend in VA...
Thanks guys for your support and replies!
A.

2008 M3 E90/SSII/Black/6MT/19s/chip=456PS
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:21 AM   #24
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Could anyone recommend a lawyer?
Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #25
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
Radar detectors are illegal in VA (and DC). You risk the chance of it being confiscated, even as an out-of-stater.

As a former Marylander, I would never live in such a liberal, tax-happy state again.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #26
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93SC View Post
That's why we live in MD Those damm VA cops
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #27
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
Radar detectors are illegal in VA (and DC). You risk the chance of it being confiscated, even as an out-of-stater.

As a former Marylander, I would never live in such a liberal, tax-happy state again.
MD is tax happy?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #28
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atny286 View Post
Yes, even 81 in 70 zone is Reckless, I found out...

Yep, picked me out of the caravan... Several old crappy cars passed me, before I got pulled over in my nice brand new M3...

Yep, just got my license 5 months ago. Before I had a Dutch license for 13 years, but needed to change to US as I bought the car in summer.

I found one through Tixnix.com or so, a guy told me he knows the judge and good change no Reckless wil appear... what do you think?

I-95 Emporia, Virginia!!!

I'll drive around it next time, no matter how far. It'll be the last penny I spend in VA...
Thanks guys for your support and replies!
A.
I feel so bad for you,, someone should've warned you... Emporia is the best known speed trap south of NOVA. I have literally seen people get hard on the breaks as soon as they see the "Welcome to Emporia" sign, myself included. They'll ticket you for 6 over so you had no chance.

I'm from the Southside of Hampton Roads, so all my trips south by 95 and 85 include taking 58 to Emporia. We learn at a young age, set cruise at the speed limit in emporia or go ahead and have your license and registration ready.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:44 PM   #29
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
You can ask for driving school and if you complete it they throw out the ticket. The catch is that you have to ask. If you are old enough you can do it on-line then go to a test site to take the test...cost is between $55-$75 depending on the company.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 11:58 PM   #30
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Yeah, that cop was being a douche, he could have easily wrote 79 instead of 81...

It's going to be a little pricey for a good lawyer, but well worth it. You may get it dropped to improper car control with your record.

Getting a speedo calibration "note" and starting your online driving improvement course (i.e www.driveslow.com) and bringing proof to the judge will help out too.

All those things combined, and it should get dropped to speeding at the least.

I got 87/55 reckless, but got dropped to speeding, since I had no priors...but mostly because I had a lawyer. Everyone else who pleaded and whatnot, had reduced fines for self-rep, but retained their reckless charge. Cost all said and done? $1,000 for the lawyer, and $200 for the ticket.

I really do hate VA laws...

Oh, while I do thing radar detectors are awesome, beware of instant-on! My friend got busted with it, and he had a V1.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #31
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
Oh, while I do thing radar detectors are awesome, beware of instant-on! My friend got busted with it, and he had a V1.
can you explain Instant-On David ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #32
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
can you explain Instant-On David ?
Here you go, Al:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Internet
K-band radar guns have what's known as "Instant-On" radar. This keeps the transmitter in "hot standby" mode, ready to be activated by an officer when the target is within 200-300 yards. Practically speaking, you can't really defend yourself against Instant-On radar; if it's been aimed at you, your speed has been measured by the time your detector gives an alert. However, if the radar was targeted on a car ahead of you, a detector with sensitive K-band reception will alert you. High K-band sensitivity is what allows manufacturers to promote a detector as giving Instant-On Protection.
So, basically the cop will wait, so there will be no prior radar warning. Then he gets an immediate reading of the speed, when he flips the on switch.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #33
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
thks! David
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #34
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 14' WRX, 15' W205

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
I used TixNix.com before (still listed in my favorite web-sites ), it's a website that has lots of attorneys who deal with traffic tickets and such. So I think you should look into the site and find yourself a reputable one.

Sorry to hear your story dude. I never know VA has such strict traffic laws. I was once caught doing 91mph where limit is 60mph on I-10, and all I got is a speeding ticket. That was the one time when I asked for help from the attorney through TixNix.com since speeding over 30+ mph has to be in court and I ain't got time for it. Good luck man, best wish for you.
      11-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #35
cliverman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Too bad we don't all live with Montana Speeding Laws!

Montana law still contains a section that says "a person shall operate a vehicle in a careful and prudent manner and at a reduced rate of speed no greater than is REASONABLE and PRUDENT under the conditions existing at the point of operation, taking into account the amount and character of traffic, visibility, weather, and roadway conditions." However, this is a standard clause that appears in other state traffic codes and has the practical effect of requiring a speed lower than the speed limit where a lower speed is necessary to maintain a reasonable and prudent road manner.

BTW - I always slow down in Va. but I try to get through West Virginia as fast as possible. I hear banjos!

2015 F82 ///M4 (Ret.)
2011 E92 ///M3 (Ret.)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 07:55 AM   #36
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup! understood.

and hate to be told to squeel like a pig for ya lips looks mighty pretty
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #37
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamazaho View Post
I used TixNix.com before (still listed in my favorite web-sites ), it's a website that has lots of attorneys who deal with traffic tickets and such. So I think you should look into the site and find yourself a reputable one.

Sorry to hear your story dude. I never know VA has such strict traffic laws. I was once caught doing 91mph where limit is 60mph on I-10, and all I got is a speeding ticket. That was the one time when I asked for help from the attorney through TixNix.com since speeding over 30+ mph has to be in court and I ain't got time for it. Good luck man, best wish for you.
Thanks!
I spoke with Tixnix.com already, but wasn;t sure. He said almost certain to drop to Speeding ticket without hearing me out... They have the highest quote so far. I got some 'local' lawyers as well, they quoted almost have the price and said that they will use 'non-moving violation' as defense...

Keep you posted.
A.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #38
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Thanks!
I spoke with Tixnix.com already, but wasn;t sure. He said almost certain to drop to Speeding ticket without hearing me out... They have the highest quote so far. I got some 'local' lawyers as well, they quoted almost have the price and said that they will use 'non-moving violation' as defense...

Keep you posted.
A.
Hum, I see..... If you don't mind, can you pm me the price they asked for them to go to the court for you? I am just curious.

Well the lawyer I found is a local guy and he actually lives quit close to me. He is part of TixNix.com so I did not bother to look for others. He heard my story and told me immediately that he can DEFINITELY get those tickets to become non-moving violation. He did in a very timely manner and emailed me the instruction where to mail the fine for the violation.
      11-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #39
Atny286
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Hum, I see..... If you don't mind, can you pm me the price they asked for them to go to the court for you? I am just curious.
PM sent!

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:55 PM   #40
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
PM sent!
Sent back.
      11-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #41
ledclulez
Rep
Drives: e90 i35i

Quote:
close to me. He is part of TixNix.com so I did not bother to look for others. He heard my story and told me immediately that he can DEFINITELY get those tickets to become non-moving violation. He did in a very timely manner and emailed me the instruction where to mail the fine for the violation.
I find this very hard to believe
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #42
yamazaho
Wang D.D.S.
Taiwan
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledclulez View Post
I find this very hard to believe
Which part? You want his name, email address and phone number?

The FACT is he took care of my ticket, and my premium stayed the same.
      11-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #43
patrickj
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada View Post
Yeah, that cop was being a douche, he could have easily wrote 79 instead of 81...

It's going to be a little pricey for a good lawyer, but well worth it. You may get it dropped to improper car control with your record.

Getting a speedo calibration "note" and starting your online driving improvement course (i.e www.driveslow.com) and bringing proof to the judge will help out too.

All those things combined, and it should get dropped to speeding at the least.

I got 87/55 reckless, but got dropped to speeding, since I had no priors...but mostly because I had a lawyer. Everyone else who pleaded and whatnot, had reduced fines for self-rep, but retained their reckless charge. Cost all said and done? $1,000 for the lawyer, and $200 for the ticket.

I really do hate VA laws...
I had a similar problem about 5 years back. I used to commute to Newport News each week. I'd drive there on Sunday and leave on Thursday. Anyway, I was heading there one Sunday night in the middle of a pack of cars doing about 85. Don't ask me why, but I got pulled over by a state trooper while on 295, about a mile short of 64. He gave me a reckless driving citation which meant that I had to go to court. I can't remember the name of the town, but it is notorious for speed traps.

I did a little research and found that in addition to reckless driving, the officer could have cited me for improper operation of a motor vehicle. I forget the exact statute. Once I found this, I called the clerk for the court I was supposed to appear in and got the name of the Assistant District Attorney (ADA). With his name, I wrote him a letter explaining what had happened, that I posses a government security clearance and was concerned that a reckless driving conviction could negatively impact my clearance. I told him that because of this, I would need to plead not guilty to reckless driving, but also being respectful of the courts time and probable lack of resources, I would be willing to plead guilty to improper operation of a motor vehicle and resolve this all in one day.

The other thing I did while waiting for court was to take one of those online driver improvement classes and then took the test which I passed.

Prior to court, I called the ADA reminding him who I was and letting him know that in addition to pleading to the lesser charge, I had attended the driver improvement class and passed the exam. I stated that I'd bring the test results with me to show him. He told me to wait until my case was called and that he'd stand up and tell that judge that we had spoken and that we agreed that I would plead guilty to improper operation of a motor vehicle. this is essentially what happened in court. The judge, hearing the ADA make the recommendation agreed. I paid a $79 fine and $60 in court costs.

I think I was one of about 5 people that got off that day with a reduced charge. PM me if you have any questions about how I did this.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #44
LotusGt111
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I've gotten a few of these and have always had a good lawyer.. You'll go to court, the lawyer will talk to the prosecution and the cop that pulled you over.. he'll come back and you'll strike a plea deal. It will probably be improper driving or speeding 79/65 .. Anything 80 or over is reckless or 20mph over in a 55 so 75/55 and 80/65... you're fine will most likely be about $300-500

My last was $750 but got knocked down to improper.. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0