E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > SOS call, not call Failure on Battery negative terminal disconnect

01-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #1
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
SOS call, not call Failure on Battery negative terminal disconnect

Hello Guys,

I'm having this weird problem since last few months. I am out of warranty, car is from 2009, and i have a Combox retrofit, and an upgraded audio system.

I searched, but there seems to be more SOS call failure issues than my problem.

The problem started in June 2017, when i was on a vacation combined with business travel, which left my car unused for 6 weeks. When i tried to start the car once i got back, i had not enough battery power to start, but it called the SOS function and a voice asked me if it was a fire or an accident

So i said sorry i accidentally hit something, and they hung up. I got a friend to give me a boost to start my car, and i was on my way.

A few weeks later, i had left the car unused for 2 weeks and then when i tried to start, the car stumble and cranked, but started, as soon as the car started it called SOS again, long story short, bla bla bla, they hung up.

It kept happening every time i leave the car more than 2 weeks without being driven.

I imagined that may be my battery was not fully charged. Since i travel a lot for work, and its usually more than 2 weeks i got a battery charger, during new years sale last week.

Hooked it up yesterday night, and it said i had to disconnect the negative terminal. After connection it showed voltage at 12.1V. I left it overnight. today morning it showed me 14.2V and still charging. I had to get to work so i disconnected the charger and connected back the negative, and there comes the call and a voice asked me if it was a fire or an accident.

Now its OK, i can keep saying no, sorry, false call, but i don't want them to miss a real emergency answering my stupid car all the time. It was a funny story before, but now its getting very annoying.

Its like a little bitch girlfriend who keeps nagging on you every time you leave her for more than 2 weeks...

Any suggestion other than go to the dealer is helpful.

thanks a lot guys
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 06:11 AM   #2
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [8.00]
hi

Not a single reply?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2018, 11:38 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Keep your car on a battery tender while away.
Letting a battery get low kills it faster.
Your battery is probably old and weak also.
If you were in the US you could program out the SOS
as its not supported here anymore.
You are suppose to charge the battery from the
terminal posts under the hood it does not require
disconnection.
A ctek 4.3 battery tender or better is the standard
one recamended here.

Go to the coding subforum for details on coding out SOS.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-26-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0