E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Does a remap/tuning box on a diesel, make it sound more tractor rattle type.

03-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
greer4411
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 440i M Sport

Does a remap/tuning box on a diesel, make it sound more tractor rattle type.

Hi guys,

was toying with the fact of a remap or tuning box. but do these make the engine sound more tractor/ rattle like.

ive always had petrol cars in the past, but was impressed with how smooth and not to much sounding like a diesel the e92 320d sounds. but had a ride in a spider tuning boxd 177ps 2.0d diesel the other day. and it sounds really tractor like and rattle above 2000rpm.

not so smooth sounding etc..

would I have to live with it if I get a remap or tuning box.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Andrew@DTUK
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 Valencia Orange 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by greer4411 View Post
Hi guys,

was toying with the fact of a remap or tuning box. but do these make the engine sound more tractor/ rattle like.

ive always had petrol cars in the past, but was impressed with how smooth and not to much sounding like a diesel the e92 320d sounds. but had a ride in a spider tuning boxd 177ps 2.0d diesel the other day. and it sounds really tractor like and rattle above 2000rpm.

not so smooth sounding etc..

would I have to live with it if I get a remap or tuning box.

cheers
I can only comment on our own systems...

Most customers tell us that the car sounds quieter with a system, with a lot more grunt.
Weve recently added our new CRD-T systems that connect to the boost sensor as well as the common rail, these have been receiving lots of positive feedback.

Have a word with Marcin aka Magic77 as he's currently running a CRD-T on his 2009 e90 320D 177PS

Oh, and as a member of E90Post.com you qualify for healthy discounts on all of our systems

HTH

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Mud
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

I had my 4 pot remapped and didnt notice anymore noise than before, but I am surprised to hear you say you thought it sounded quiet and smooth! The 330 et al are like that but all the 320d I have driven seen sound a lot lounder
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I would think its because you are revving it more to get the best out of the remap. My 335d is standard and goes great but even when i put it into Sport mode in the auto box i notice a lot more diesel clatter as its is revving higher.

If you do not drive your car any harder with a remap then you should be using less revs to get the same performance but I guess more people want to play with their extra power and the noise levels increase.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

I have to say running with the box it actually seems quieter I've also noticed idle is a lot smoother and a tad lower than without the box, all good really
      03-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I suppose it will depend... the particular engine design and how advanced the original OEM setup. Is the tuning method adding to higher injection pressure? That in itself can add to the combustion noise. Engine designers will try and lower injection pressures, where possible, to help reduce combustion noise. So more time at higher pressure would logically contribute to more diesel knock.

The other factor could be injector pulse width and injection strategy. Multi phase injections are also a way of smoothing combustion and noise levels. So any tuning that is altering the injection phasing could also add to noise levels/diesel clatter.

Remember not all tuning is equal, some boxes simply 'trick' the ECU, so the engine is not really working with the correct parameters.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0