E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ipod connector problems?

11-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
BawssStylez
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i

Ipod connector problems?

Im new to this so bare with me, after i plug my iphone 4 into the car my car doesent play the songs but displays the title and the system gets jammed?

Anyone having the same problem? It works only sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Welcome!

You probably should go search the threads over on the Audio forum (which is where this thread will get moved once the Mods get around to it). Various info over there.

But suffice to say that your problem is likely due to the OS version on your iPhone. The current version of iOS doesn't play well (as an iPod) with the BMW headunit. It's possible that the iOS update due out any day now might fix the problem...or it might not.

Anyhow, more info on the Audio forum. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

Let me help you:

1. buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320611200724 and this: http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Car-So.../dp/B001HZI2ZC

2. Plug the USB adapter into your glovebox power outlet.

3. Plug the usb cable into the adapter, plug the audio into your aux out.

4. Either run the cable under your console (simple diy) and drill a hole in the ashtray bottom for a clean install - OR - just run the cable out of your console as is.

5. Enjoy clean sound from your iPhone and have it charge while it's plugged in. Total cost - about $10

Good luck!

edit>> this setup works great with my iPhone 4
      11-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Deltari09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 3-Series Coupe

+1
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

I sometimes have a similar problem with my latest-gen iPod Nano. Sometimes it just seems like it's not communicating with the iPod.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

It happens sometimes. Just restart the device. Works immediately after. It usually happens after you sync the device to iTunes. Afterward, it seems to stop communicating with the car, but a restart fixes it every time for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
jsunma
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
Let me help you:

1. buy this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320611200724 and this: http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Car-So.../dp/B001HZI2ZC

2. Plug the USB adapter into your glovebox power outlet.

3. Plug the usb cable into the adapter, plug the audio into your aux out.

4. Either run the cable under your console (simple diy) and drill a hole in the ashtray bottom for a clean install - OR - just run the cable out of your console as is.

5. Enjoy clean sound from your iPhone and have it charge while it's plugged in. Total cost - about $10

Good luck!

edit>> this setup works great with my iPhone 4
I have to admit to having gone to a similar solution so that I can control the iPod (touch) from the iPod's native interface. While I have the 6FL cable/option, I hate the iPod interface on the (non-iDrive 2008) headunit. Plus, the BMW interface currently has known problems with iOS 4.X. This AUX solution gets around all of that even if I have to look at the rather blank AUX display on the headunit and do not get digital audio input. The analog AUX input seems to sound pretty good, as others have noted.

The device I have is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-AutoPi...0112443&sr=1-5

It costs a little more than the ebay/amazon devices mentioned above, but it is all one piece and seems high quality. The only real downside that I have found is that I get a nasty-sounding static crunch when I turn off the car with the iPod still playing. That's because the console power port simply shuts off when you power down the car. It's a shame that BMW didn't build a delay into that power port. The 6FL option DOES keep the iPod playing through the stereo for a while after powering down the car.

FWIW, there's a DIY on the Audio forum where someone used one of these and ran the cables beneath the console-shifter trim to send the plug out into the ashtray. No drilling required and looks very clean. I didn't opt for doing that as I like having the cable "free" (i.e., just running out under the closed console cover) so that I can pick up and control the iPod (which isn't do-able if it's plugged into the plug that you'd make exit the ashtray.).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Does your iPod sound like crap when connected to the stock stereo?

I noticed that regardless of the quality and equalizer setting on my iPod (I turn it off mostly since it seems to reduce distortion), the sound quality is pretty much CRAP.

I tried wiggling the USB and TRS connector that came with the car (OEM BMW part) and sometimes it helps a little- especially when the low frequencies cut out. I mean, sometimes, it just crackles.

This is crazy. Plus, I don't have the iDrive either. It seems like a very simple connection but the quality is just so bad.

I'm not sure if anyone else out there has had this problem. If so, any suggestions on how to remedy this issue will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
jsunma
Captain
Rep

The sound quality using the 6FL cable/OEM iPod interface shouldn't be that bad.

I found on mine that the OEM cable is very stiff and short and is prone to making a poor connection at all places where it plugs into the car (usb and aux) and the iPod (dock connector). This is only exacerbated if you end up moving the iPod when trying to unlock the screen/choose an app. Any of those poor connections can cause the sound quality issues you describe...but in my case, this has been only temporary. I think that putting the iPod into the little "pouch" supplied on the underside of the console lid, and leaving it alone, will result in the best connections....but then of course you're totally at the victim of the BMW interface....which I personally find crappy. All in all, the 6FL interface with iPod Touch/iPhone and no iDrive is not exactly an ideal situation.

But as just for sound quality, I'd check your connections. You might have a bad AUX port, like seems to be the case with the OP. Or maybe your cable's just loose.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

Exactly, even driving over pock-marked roads sometimes make the connections crackle. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as well? Any feedback from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I noticed that regardless of the quality and equalizer setting on my iPod (I turn it off mostly since it seems to reduce distortion), the sound quality is pretty much CRAP.

I tried wiggling the USB and TRS connector that came with the car (OEM BMW part) and sometimes it helps a little- especially when the low frequencies cut out. I mean, sometimes, it just crackles.

This is crazy. Plus, I don't have the iDrive either. It seems like a very simple connection but the quality is just so bad.

I'm not sure if anyone else out there has had this problem. If so, any suggestions on how to remedy this issue will be greatly appreciated!
Change the input levels on iDrive to standard. Sounds like you have it boosted.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep

What if I don't have iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
What if I don't have iDrive?
You can do it on the main menu in the radio. I think it's LEV or something.
Appreciate 0