E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > My 335d: Injectors, Carbon, DDE

07-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #111
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Me: "The foreman told me drop my car off and get a loaner"

Service Advisor: "No problem, you are due for a service, tell whoever is doing your maintenance to clean the fuel filter because the diesel exhaust fluid can clog it up."
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #112
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdiaz View Post
anyone know decent price to reprogram DDE. not covered with oem gold extended warranty.
the answer was already posted, you need to find a new dealership, the one you are at is no good

especially if your service adviser is suggesting to clean the fuel filter and saying DEF can get into the fuel
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #113
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

separating induction tube from EGR. Is the connector reusable?

I want to take a peek and I haven't found anything which confirms whether it's reusable
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #114
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

If you are talking about the EGR valve which I suspect you are, yes it is reusable
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #115
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
If you are talking about the EGR valve which I suspect you are, yes it is reusable
Thanks. I just found the same question/answer on a UK site.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #116
ThePicturePro
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

After all the injectors were replaced I had another issue with an injector. They said it was "bad off the shelf". A little while later, car was back in and they replaced all of the glow plugs. Now it is back in AGAIN and they have to replace the computer? The customer service rep doesnt get into details, I wonder if it is the DDE? I dont know what to do anymore and I am talking to BMW North America trying to get a repurchase. What do I do now that the 335d is no longer available? Dont want the 328d and cannot afford the 535d. Should I try to save this one and ask for an extended warranty or just cut my loss.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #117
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePicturePro View Post
After all the injectors were replaced I had another issue with an injector. They said it was "bad off the shelf". A little while later, car was back in and they replaced all of the glow plugs. Now it is back in AGAIN and they have to replace the computer? The customer service rep doesnt get into details, I wonder if it is the DDE? I dont know what to do anymore and I am talking to BMW North America trying to get a repurchase. What do I do now that the 335d is no longer available? Dont want the 328d and cannot afford the 535d. Should I try to save this one and ask for an extended warranty or just cut my loss.
now that youre finally getting the DDE replaced you should be GTG, no need to repurchase. You should give it up before the headache of all the problems or not at all. Now that the DDE is being replaced your repeated injector issue should go away
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #118
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
now that youre finally getting the DDE replaced you should be GTG, no need to repurchase. You should give it up before the headache of all the problems or not at all. Now that the DDE is being replaced your repeated injector issue should go away
Right . I don't think any of the guys here that had their DDE replaced had recurring issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #119
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Crap. Your mileage looks like my mileage, and I see you didn't have many issues before 57k. I'll be at 50k by mid-march, and I've been trying to convince myself not to extend the warranty because it really only buys me a little over 1 year of risk aversion. Stuff like your story scares me, though.
My Carbon Build up manifested at 56k as well. I am at 60k now and they are still trying to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #120
Chrislav
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Living in shittsville

So here is my personal experience so far;

2011 335d with 63k that I have had for 2k miles now. I did not purchase it from a BMW dealer and I do not have an extended warranty.

Car throws CEL
  • I take it in to BMW dealer, dealer asks for an hour to diagnose it.
  • Three of the injectors have codes saying they are bad.
  • Dealer asks for 4 more hours for diagnosis to check for carbon build-up.
  • Dealer finds carbon build up, asks me to contact BMW NA.
  • After 5 days BMW NA calls and says they aren't going to fix carbon but will replace injectors at no charge, except they want me to pay for diagnosis.
  • I said this was unacceptable because it should be covered under the california emissions warranty. The service manager is apparently having a discussion with them tomorrow, so I should know more.

So far I have contacted three independents who refuse to do the job because of the complication of the diesel and lack of specialty tools and manuals. I have also learned that walnut shell blasting does not work on the diesels because of the split intake. The only option now is to have the dealer do it, and they want $4,000 to remove the heads and clean the carbon build up.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #121
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I recently posted on the "other forum" a history of nine discrete and DDE part numbers for the 335D. It seems like they can't figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #122
Chrislav
Rep

Update on my previous post...

BMW Northwest service manager met with regional service manager. Service manager offered no further assistance and stuck with their original offer to replace the 3 injectors and warned me that if I didn't clean the carbon deposits that the DDE could go bad. They updated the quote to fix the carbon issue and the price was over $5000. I don't have the quote in my hands yet, but I know it included replacement of the intake manifold, removal and cleaning of the heads and god knows what else.

BMW has left me high and dry on this one. Not even any indication that this was caused by any wrong doing, and no suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again. Seems like my best bet with this car is to drive it into the ocean.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #123
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Damn that service manager is STUPID!! HOW in the hell are u going to keep clean something u and them CAN'T handle@!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #124
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislav View Post
Update on my previous post...

BMW Northwest service manager met with regional service manager. Service manager offered no further assistance and stuck with their original offer to replace the 3 injectors and warned me that if I didn't clean the carbon deposits that the DDE could go bad. They updated the quote to fix the carbon issue and the price was over $5000. I don't have the quote in my hands yet, but I know it included replacement of the intake manifold, removal and cleaning of the heads and god knows what else.

BMW has left me high and dry on this one. Not even any indication that this was caused by any wrong doing, and no suggestions on how to prevent it from happening again. Seems like my best bet with this car is to drive it into the ocean.
Call BMW NA, tell them you are going to contact NHTSA and use the media's help to get to the bottom of this. It is unacceptable.

Where is the class action law suit for this issue??
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #125
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

It sounds to me like that regional manager is warming up to deny a DDE replacement on the basis that it went bad from lack of "proper" maintenance by cleaning the carbon. That would be really f'd
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #126
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
It sounds to me like that regional manager is warming up to deny a DDE replacement on the basis that it went bad from lack of "proper" maintenance by cleaning the carbon. That would be really f'd
Except how would that even be possible
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #127
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I recently posted on the "other forum" a history of nine discrete and DDE part numbers for the 335D. It seems like they can't figure this out.
Here's the revision history on the DDE....looks like they re-engineer the damn thing every few months...

I think its possible, if they confirm a DDE based fix, we may see a recall.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #128
Chrislav
Rep

One last follow up;

Since BMW hasn't stepped up to fix the carbon on my car, I looked to trade it in and found out that the car had unibody damage that had been announced at the auction before the dealer I purchased it from had bought it. I'm returning the car to the dealer and unwinding the whole deal. I hit BMW up for some sort of new-car purchase incentive since they screwed me over on the repairs of mine and they told me to go kick rocks.

BMW's new slogan should be "You should consider it a privilege to own one"
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #129
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislav View Post
One last follow up;

Since BMW hasn't stepped up to fix the carbon on my car, I looked to trade it in and found out that the car had unibody damage that had been announced at the auction before the dealer I purchased it from had bought it. I'm returning the car to the dealer and unwinding the whole deal. I hit BMW up for some sort of new-car purchase incentive since they screwed me over on the repairs of mine and they told me to go kick rocks.

BMW's new slogan should be "You should consider it a privilege to own one"
Yeah this is horrible customer service on BMWs part. I'm probably going to get rid of the car when it hits 50k. They quoted me 4k for extended warranty to 100k. lol. I can get rid of that pos, take the 4k and put it into a car that might have some better reliability. My car has been into the dealer 6 times for warranty related issues including exhaust emissions issues. Might be the last time I own one. Might be time to try out an audi or infiniti.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #130
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Might be the last time I own one. Might be time to try out an audi or infiniti.
Might be the same for me but for different reasons (poor interior & electrical quality). My car hasn't given me any serious problems but I know it's coming. Only a matter of time once I hit the big 50k. Yeah, I'm a pessimist.

I'm thinking of going the Porsche route and getting a Cayman S. Thought of getting an S4 but handling is important to me and getting the next gen G37 (whatever it's called now) kinda seems like a downgrade. Maybe BMW can redeem itself to me with the new M4?
JBD @ 100% | KW ST Coilovers | M3 rep. front bumper | 888Concepts AE Upgrade | GP Thunder 7500k fogs | Cyba 4" carbon tips | BSW Stage 1 | APEX ARC-8 W/ Michelin PSS | Ziza LED interior | Weisslicht LED side lenses | Sprint Booster | Euro side mirrors | M-Sport semi-conversion | Coded | LOTS of carbon fiber
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #131
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
Yeah this is horrible customer service on BMWs part. I'm probably going to get rid of the car when it hits 50k. They quoted me 4k for extended warranty to 100k. lol. I can get rid of that pos, take the 4k and put it into a car that might have some better reliability. My car has been into the dealer 6 times for warranty related issues including exhaust emissions issues. Might be the last time I own one. Might be time to try out an audi or infiniti.
4k? You can do better. I have 100k OEM for less than $2k.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #132
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
4k? You can do better. I have 100k OEM for less than $2k.
I will of course try and negotiate
There's a guy on corvetteforum whos 2007 M5 has metal shavings in oil and the cel came on putting the car in limp mode. He does have warranty though... man he would have been screwed if he didnt.
Appreciate 0