E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Critique my Black Sapphire Metallic paint correction procedures

09-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Chevy Silverado

Looking for opinions on the steps and products I will be using for my paint correction. If you have any doubts on a certain product used, please feel free to express yourself.

1. Starting with heavy correction using Meguiars's D300 on their MF cutting disc

2. Menzerna power finish on white CCS pad

3. Menzerna PO85RD on grey CCS pad (or should I go on a white pad

4. Collinite 915 to seal the deal

I know to wash/dry/clay/wash/dry. No need to enforce that.

All help is appreciated seeing as I am new to paint correction. This is my plan and I hope I chose a good line of products.

Anything you guys recommend to add in for a deeper finish?

Can any of these products be used to remove light swirls on the windows?

Thanks

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

If anyone could provide the required speed for the Griots 6"p polisher, it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nobody?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Not knowing the condition of the paint, it is hard to make solid recommendations. The one thing I might try based on what info you gave is to see if Power Finish on an orange pad gives enough cut before hitting it with the D300 and microfiber.
The general rule of thumb is to use higher speed and more pressure for more aggressive correction. I use 6 on my PC and work my way down, usually finishing between 4 and 5 on a three stage correction.
As for your final step, my only suggestion is to try it out. You always want to use the least aggressive correction you can to acheive the results you want. Try the grey pad and if it is removing everything from your previous step then that is the combo you should use. If you still notice very light scratching or hazing, step up to a more aggressive pad.
For glass, I use a special glass kit. It comes with different polishes and special disks. I've never tried glass correction using the products I use on the paint, except for Klasse AIO to clean and seal. Perhaps someone else has experience with these products on glass.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

You seem to be on the right track for a light to medium correction. The white pad is pretty light so I generally recommend the Lake Country Green / Pink Very Light Cutting Pad but a white pad will work. It's a close call that depends on the vehicle and personal preference. I'm also a much bigger fan of the flat pads instead of CCS but to each their own.

For speeds generally you'll want to polish at speeds 4 - 6, glazes and AIO's 3 - 4, sealants and liquid waxes 2 - 4. If you are new to the buffer start at slower speeds until you feel more comfortable.

For tips on how to polish, use the buffer, etc. check out our detailing guide
and our Ask a Pro Detailer Blog. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the responses! I'm hoping this combination is good for my paint correction. I will do a write up once I get done with it. I will try a couple couple test panels to see which yields better results. Picked up a bottle of black fire wet diamond from you guys and that will be my sealant followed by 915 the next day
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Thank yo for the support and I look forward to hearing about your results!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sooooooo. i went ahead and did my paint correction. The car came out great but i dramatically underestimated the time and effort this takes. Started at 5pm after work....finished at 4am just to go to work at 7am....very stupid call on my part. I have to say, at first i was very impressed with the mf cutting pads and d300 but a closer look showed that it is not fully perfected and i am a bit OCD. I guess im going to need a slightly harder cut. I tried both d300 on mf and left hardly any micro marring and then used 105 on orange pad and i could see the micro marring. Both combinations felt like they came out with identical results. Should i go a surburf pad?? or maybe 105 on mf pad? or even a different compound. I will try and take pictures today. to show the very minimal swirls left
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
sofresh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

I recently attempted the same with different products but on BSM also. Would like to see how it comes out.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #10
hasta la pasta 27
Captain
United_States
Rep

i just finished doing the trunk and hood and it came out great! used M105 on the MF pads and was a hell of a combo. definitely left some micro marring but went away with power finish and then the po85 and the BFWD brought out an incredible shine!
Appreciate 0