E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > My Quest For Navigation

07-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i E92

My Quest For Navigation

A synopsis of my journey:

I purchased in March of this year the vehicle of my choice: could not afford 2013 and I settled on 2009. I had an option to purchase for $5K more a e92 with navigation (again it was more than my budget allowed) and I really did not like the color. So for $21K and only 40k on the odometer I made my purchase. I still had time left on the original factory warranty and took the car through service. Between the evaporator, seat belt extender, window lifter, steering angle sensor and what BMW calls alignment elements and roller drag levers (lifters and rocker arms:in english). I am about $2,130.00 to the good in parts, according to RealOEM. During the few times my car was in the shop I experienced a loaner having navigation and decide I wanted to pursue a retrofit. So with that being said: I found my search landing me here.

I find that current BMW publications are hard to find. Most everything I have printed dates back to 2005. Any help with current pubs would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

If you do a search, it's been done plenty of times before. But it requires a lot of parts including a new dash cover. Or you could go the easy route and go aftermarket Dynavin.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
If you do a search, it's been done plenty of times before. But it requires a lot of parts including a new dash cover. Or you could go the easy route and go aftermarket Dynavin.
Aftermarket is not the look I want to achieve. I am going the original BMW retrofit. I was fortunate to purchase a complete system out of a 2011. I am searching (initially) for a way to bench test the unit before I invest in the reat of the plastic that I need.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvprodoti View Post
Aftermarket is not the look I want to achieve. I am going the original BMW retrofit. I was fortunate to purchase a complete system out of a 2011. I am searching (initially) for a way to bench test the unit before I invest in the reat of the plastic that I need.
Bench testing will be a little difficult without being able to emulate the CAS and JBE. That's what the tool Bimmerretrofit was referring to is for. The CIC relies on certain CAN signals coming over the wire to wake up the CIC unit and the CIC relies on signals from the CAS (such as VIN number check) to activate specific features like the Navigation (Navigation features will be disabled unless you either have a CAS with the same VIN as the CIC or you have a PnP emulator between the CAS and CIC to intercept the activation signal).

There's another more general product you may be able to use called the TieCanCar for bench testing that functions as a CAN gateway. But I think even it is a few hundred dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Bench testing will be a little difficult without being able to emulate the CAS and JBE. That's what the tool Bimmerretrofit was referring to is for. The CIC relies on certain CAN signals coming over the wire to wake up the CIC unit and the CIC relies on signals from the CAS (such as VIN number check) to activate specific features like the Navigation (Navigation features will be disabled unless you either have a CAS with the same VIN as the CIC or you have a PnP emulator between the CAS and CIC to intercept the activation signal).

There's another more general product you may be able to use called the TieCanCar for bench testing that functions as a CAN gateway. But I think even it is a few hundred dollars.
Sounds like one needs a degree in engineering to understand the relationship of the CAN & CAS. I have the original VIN# of the unit, how do I find further info on TieCanCar. Google comes up Blank
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like one needs a degree in engineering to understand the relationship of the CAN & CAS. I have the original VIN# of the unit, how do I find further info on TieCanCar. Google comes up Blank
Sorry, it's CanTieCar.

http://www.tiecar.net/products.html

I haven't personally used this myself, but other mods over at a popular BMW coding forum has and use it to bench test their CCC/CIC units.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Posted by Dracon From another Thread
Quote:
GPS and SDARS connections are in the trunk.

Cars that come factory with a navigation unit installed have the GPS signal run to the headunit. If you don't have Navigation from the factory, the GPS signal runs to the trunk to feed the TCU (if installed) for BMW Assist. So BMW knows the vehicle location for Assist services (if Navigation is installed, BMW Assist uses the GPS location in the Navigation unit).

Pre-2010 models used a standalone SDARS module mounted in the trunk (left hand side, TCU is on the right). After 2010 SDARS was integrated into the headunit/navigation system.

Basically, you'll need to run extension cables for SDARS and GPS from the trunk to behind the new CIC. If you have the standalone SDARS unit installed, you'll need to remove it from the MOST loop and remove the unit (you can't just unplug it and remove it, you *MUST* reconfigure the fibre optic loop or install a dummy plug).
My vehicle has a standalone SDARS module. The dummy plug (I figure will allow for not having to removing the module). Is there instructions for removing it from the MOST loop & reconfiguring the fibre optics loop ( should I decide to remove the module)?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, it's CanTieCar.

http://www.tiecar.net/products.html

I haven't personally used this myself, but other mods over at a popular BMW coding forum has and use it to bench test their CCC/CIC units.
Thanks, I will review
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

CIC Ethernet

Will a CIC that does not include an ethernet connection have the ability to access the web?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
CIC's access to the internet is provided by a bluetooth tethering link to your mobile phone (via the Combox Media) or through BMW Services (via a Combox Telematics).

The CIC itself doesn't have a standard ethernet port.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
CIC's access to the internet is provided by a bluetooth tethering link to your mobile phone (via the Combox Media) or through BMW Services (via a Combox Telematics).

The CIC itself doesn't have a standard ethernet port.
So to access the internet the Sat Module needs to be removed and a combox installed??

Also has anyone ever removed the Headliner to access the Shark Fin
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
So to access the internet the Sat Module needs to be removed and a combox installed??

Also has anyone ever removed the Headliner to access the Shark Fin
What do you mean you have the remove the Sat Module to install a Combox?

Sateliite Module goes on the left hand side of the trunk.

Combox goes on the right hand side of the trunk. You would remove the existing TCU/MULF and replace it with the Combox. Re-wiring will be required unless you make/purchase an adapter harness so you don't have to mess with the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Some guy on here did a retrofit and wrote a complete DIY guide with like a 20 page PDF. I'll try to find the link and post it on here.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyR28 View Post
Some guy on here did a retrofit and wrote a complete DIY guide with like a 20 page PDF. I'll try to find the link and post it on here.
Thanks, If you can pull it up I would appreciate it. I have searched and came up empty.

BTW: Does your E92 have iDrive?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Save yourself a bundle and end up with a better navigation system. iPhone or Droid + Waze application = happiness
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #16
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Save yourself a bundle and end up with a better navigation system. iPhone or Droid + Waze application = happiness
No insult: but I want to stay true to the Nav intent. Its like someone said "buy a Garmin" and my reply was "Garmin takes away from BWM integrity".
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, If you can pull it up I would appreciate it. I have searched and came up empty.

BTW: Does your E92 have iDrive?
Okay, so I found the thread that I was referring to. Heres the link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131416

be prepared for lots of reading.. I think its on page 11 where he finally completes the project. He also posts a link to a pdf file that is basically an all inclusive diy guide.

No my car does not have iDrive

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the project!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, so I found the thread that I was referring to. Heres the link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131416

be prepared for lots of reading.. I think its on page 11 where he finally completes the project. He also posts a link to a pdf file that is basically an all inclusive diy guide.

No my car does not have iDrive

Good luck if you decide to go ahead with the project!
Thanks for the link. Have you read his instructional PDF?. He makes a very good point when he states "these cars are literal technological masterpieces". I am going to move forward with my retrofit, but not until I fully understand the whole complexed system
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #19
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean you have the remove the Sat Module to install a Combox?

Sateliite Module goes on the left hand side of the trunk.

Combox goes on the right hand side of the trunk. You would remove the existing TCU/MULF and replace it with the Combox. Re-wiring will be required unless you make/purchase an adapter harness so you don't have to mess with the wiring.
Maybe I mis-read your original post about the Standalone needing to be removed from the MOST loop and the loop reconfigured. With the unit also being removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #20
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Have you read his instructional PDF?. He makes a very good point when he states "these cars are literal technological masterpieces". I am going to move forward with my retrofit, but not until I fully understand the whole complexed system
Ehh I skimmed it, I read most of the thread and by the time I got to the pdf I gave up all hope of ever do it because of the money, time, and headaches. I'm pretty sure he said somewhere he spent 45+ hours researching alone..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #21
Learning Man
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ehh I skimmed it, I read most of the thread and by the time I got to the pdf I gave up all hope of ever do it because of the money, time, and headaches. I'm pretty sure he said somewhere he spent 45+ hours researching alone..
Money!!! That is why I am going to do this for less than $2,500.00 and have HD in my CIC. When It is all said and done, I will "POST IT". It is all a matter of determination and desire.

Last edited by Learning Man; 07-15-2013 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Good luck

I am also in the hunt for a 09+ 335 xDrive but it's hard finding one under 40k miles with all the options i want. Anyhow, I found 2 different companies here that sell Retrofit kits have you looked into those ?
I am trying to see which 1 of those would be best as I wouldnt be able to do this by myself

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0