E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 335D Brake Pads

01-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Shrek24
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts

335D Brake Pads

Anyone know what compounds the factory put on these cars? M Sport if that makes any difference! My wife can drive for weeks and the wheels still look great!

I would like to see if I can find a compound close to that for my Z06, I can't drive around the block without dusting the wheels black.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

HA That's because your wife drives the car easier! This is ironic because BMW brake pads are nortoriously dirty.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Shrek24
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
HA That's because your wife drives the car easier! This is ironic because BMW brake pads are nortoriously dirty.
Not in this case, she's harder on the BMW than I am! It's performance and handling have actually inspired her to get back to the track after almost 4 years away from it. She's busting my balls to finish the transformation of her ZR-1 so she can make the first event at VIR in Feb. I've been working on it since mid Dec and just finished the tear down last weekend. Most of it's bolt on stuff, but there's still a lot of machining and welding to be done.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
For 9/09 (MY 2010), BMW changed the brake pad composition. The new cars don't dust. However, it has been reported by those that turned in a pre-2010 for a newer 3 series or those who have updated the pads (I belong to the latter), that there is a noticeable difference in initial bite (as in lack of) and somewhat less pedal "feel".

I attribute this change to the fact that in 2006, J.D. Powers changed the way they measured defects in car quality and brake dust is now considered defective - regardless of actual braking competency. Undoubtedly, BMW - as well as other car companies - changed their pad composition to resolve one less item to be negatively marked by the consumer in the chase for the almighty JD Power trophy.
      01-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
For 9/09 (MY 2010), BMW changed the brake pad composition. The new cars don't dust. However, it has been reported by those that turned in a pre-2010 for a newer 3 series or those who have updated the pads (I belong to the latter), that there is a noticeable difference in initial bite (as in lack of) and somewhat less pedal "feel".
Exactly. My wife's 2011 makes less dust in 4 weeks than my 07 does in one week.

OP - If you are looking for something that stops well and doesn't dust a lot look into Hawk HPS pads.
Appreciate 0