E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > I-Drive Navigation Retrofit!

08-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #243
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
You can retrofit all this for around $1500, so if you have a car you like why not?
Different strokes for different folks.. I don't buy it unless I like it as configured from the factory

Best of luck you guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 02:49 AM   #244
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90, 335i

Quote:

Now when you hooked up the power, ground and can hi + lo and you took them to the connectors on the JBE was this purely to keep it as factory as possible??
What I am getting at is if I hook up to the stereo harness it won't throw any codes will it??
Surely can bus is a network that you can jump into anywhere??
There is no way the car could tell it was connected further down the cable?
Yes - I hooked everything up to the factory locations to keep it as close to OEM as possible. I'm assuming you are talking about the CID. However, the car DOES know stuff isn't hooked up in the right place (at least for power, as I recall) --- When I first tested the setup, I had all the K-can bus connections looked to the back of the radio/CCC, and tapped power for the controller and CID off the back of the radio/CCC as well. When we changed the vehicle order and recoded the car, there were several codes, as the car "knew" there were "open circuits" - although I can't remember if it was for the controller or CID or both. I do remember thinking it was because they were not hooked up to the OEM locations. I don't exactly recall, but I don't believe the codes were set for items being on the wrong place on the bus. Now that I have things hooked up in OEM locations, those codes have not re-appeared.

The OEM location for the hookup of the controller (bus) is tapped off the same wires for the radio/CCC. The OEM location for the CID, however, is at the JBE. The car cannot tell how far down the bus cables you have tapped, but I wasn't sure if it could tell which "line" of the bus the item was on, as there are many "lines" of K-can bus wires coming out of the JBE (like a router with many network cables coming out of it.)

Keep in mind these codes didn't set off any lights, etc.. they were just soft codes in the car that we read after coding. I just wanted to wire the car in the OEM locations. If you tap everything off the back of the radio/CCC, it'll work just fine (it just sets soft codes which are stored.)

To answer your question, I think it WILL set (soft) codes if you hook the power up for the controller and CID elsewhere. I don't think that's an issue with the bus though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #245
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #246
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster4075 View Post
Some other notes I have;
-When I had the (UK) CCC and controller in my car, progman would not program anything in the car until those parts were changed out. In addition, I later realized that my cruise control and hill-holder (start-off assist) were inoperative. Don't know why, but there must have been some conflict in the DSC. My CCC was out of a 320d, which I've been told doesn't have cruise control. Interesting.
320d does have cruise control, so I am not sure why that would have stopped working. However it does not have hill-hold, as only 6-cylinder models are equipped with that.
The 316i sold in certain countries like Ireland however does not have cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 03:50 PM   #247
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

When you put nav into a different car some modules may have to be updated apparently, now I am not sure if that means software wise or physically.

I didn't realise you can actually download and install the BMW DIS and SSS system and code the car yourself, just trying to find out if you can also program stuff like the CCC over most bus too or whether you need to buy the BMW OPPS system.

But being able to adapt the vehicle order yourself makes retrofitting a whole lot more exciting, being able to add USB amongst other things.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #248
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob72 View Post
320d does have cruise control, so I am not sure why that would have stopped working. However it does not have hill-hold, as only 6-cylinder models are equipped with that.
The 316i sold in certain countries like Ireland however does not have cruise control.
Yes..and this was my problem. Progman would not "allow" modules to be updated, thus they were "mad." Although, everything is fine since I put in the correct module, and re-coded everything correctly.

gIzzE - have you found a a good/working OBD2 cable that works with the E90? I think a lot of things can be programmed over OBD2, it just takes forever. Even when the car is programmed and it takes a couple of hours, it is utilizing both the optical (MOST) and OBD2 ring. Weird that it takes so friggin' long though.. I would love to tamper with the VO and other minor changes, but don't know which cable to get. I've been told there is a cheapo $12 USB cable on Ebay will work, but I dunno which one..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #249
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I'm not sure either, there is a guy selling one on the programming forum for €350 that is meant to have the correct electronics in it to allow the official BMW software to talk to it.

I am only into day 1 of reading the forum and it looks like there is a good weeks worth of reading.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #250
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure either, there is a guy selling one on the programming forum for €350 that is meant to have the correct electronics in it to allow the official BMW software to talk to it.

I am only into day 1 of reading the forum and it looks like there is a good weeks worth of reading.
The guy who helped program my car had special software, but a cheapo cable...and it talked just find to my car. Hmmm... (he's out of the country though...and out of touch)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 10:20 AM   #251
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Just found out that with this cable you can code the CCC unit sat on a table!!

You still selling your UK CCC?? haha
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #252
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just found out that with this cable you can code the CCC unit sat on a table!!

You still selling your UK CCC?? haha
I put it on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWDVW
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #253
c_boy
Rep
Drives: E90

INPA for BMW

INPA for BMW

Dealing with BMW complex electronic control Units (ECU) along the entire process chain requires reliable communication and data description, The Diagnostic Tool Set consists of a set of PC-based application which support developers, engineers and technicians in all aspects of communication with ECUs and vehicles via serial communication lines.

Typical applications of the BMW Diagnostic tool include:

*Specification of ECU’ s diagnostic data

*Communication development

*Reading and clearing error memory

*Flash data uploading and downloading

*Reading measurement values

*Input/output control

*Calibration of single ECU variables

*Coding of ECU variables

*Coding of ECU variants

*CAN (controller Area Network) bus mode emulation

Models covered:

1 series E87

3 series E30 E36 E46 E83

5series E34 E39 E53 E60 E61

6 series E63 E64

7 series E32 E38 E65 E66

8 series E31 E52

E90

Mini R50 R52 R53

X series E53

Rolls Royce

Z series E85 E52
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:20 AM   #254
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_boy View Post
INPA for BMW

INPA for BMW

Typical applications of the BMW Diagnostic tool include:

*Coding of ECU variables

*Coding of ECU variants

Models covered:

E90

Where you able to program the systems in your car using this??

I thought that you needed an OPS head along with GT1 + SSS to be able to do the E90???

If I buy myslef an IBM T30 and put INPA on it what cable would I need to be able to put the m-ask navi in my car and change the vehicle order??

Thanks

Guy
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 06:46 PM   #255
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

INPA can do it?? Thanks that really helps.

Has anyone got a PDF on removing the dash, I know Booster has some pics but would love a PDF??
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 02:06 AM   #256
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone got a PDF on removing the dash, I know Booster has some pics but would love a PDF??
The easiest way is to follow the TIS, but my PDF describes the same basic steps in probably a slightly different order. I followed the TIS when I did it to make sure I didn't miss anything and I incorporated all (at least I hope I did) steps into the PDF. I was a little apprehensive doing it, but once I realized that it took just over two hours to get it out, I realized it was really VERY easy. (that included jotting down notes and taking pictures!)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 04:09 AM   #257
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I don't have the TIS, I'm on a mac.

Could someone save the print out as a pdf??

I think I will be fine using your instructions booster, but would be nice to have the tis too.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #258
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
so booster... how much to fly u out to madison and have you do this to my car?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #259
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
so booster... how much to fly u out to madison and have you do this to my car?
Yo Badger...LOL. You can do it... I swear its really not that hard to do the hardware swap. I'm a little more in awe of the guys that know how (and have the equipment to) reprogram the car. I'm working on procuring some of my own tools to do this. Find someone locally who can program it and I guarantee they'll be willing to do the rest if you choose not to.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 09:34 AM   #260
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Yo Badger...LOL. You can do it... I swear its really not that hard to do the hardware swap. I'm a little more in awe of the guys that know how (and have the equipment to) reprogram the car. I'm working on procuring some of my own tools to do this. Find someone locally who can program it and I guarantee they'll be willing to do the rest if you choose not to.
i can change a flat, change the oil, swap the interior trim, swap the taillights to blacklines, paint a muffler/tips, hell even paint a set of wheels... I can bolt on ram air scoops, a new spoiler, a CAI... hell maybe even could do an S/C if I had the right tools....

but when it comes to electronics, I have NO idea what I am doing in a car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2008, 11:11 AM   #261
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
i can change a flat, change the oil, swap the interior trim, swap the taillights to blacklines, paint a muffler/tips, hell even paint a set of wheels... I can bolt on ram air scoops, a new spoiler, a CAI... hell maybe even could do an S/C if I had the right tools....

but when it comes to electronics, I have NO idea what I am doing in a car.
Well, there is something to be said about knowing your limitations. Seriously, the wiring is very simple - simpler than I thought it would be. Although, if you did it wrong, it could wreak havoc on a wonderful car.

If you are seriously interested in doing this to your car - find someone that can change the vehicle order and program it - I think that's most of the battle on this retrofit. That person most likely could do the retrofit for you also..(following my wonderful PDF, of course...LOL)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #262
smercki
Rep
Drives: Italy

Quote:
Well, there is something to be said about knowing your limitations. Seriously, the wiring is very simple - simpler than I thought it would be. Although, if you did it wrong, it could wreak havoc on a wonderful car.

If you are seriously interested in doing this to your car - find someone that can change the vehicle order and program it - I think that's most of the battle on this retrofit. That person most likely could do the retrofit for you also..(following my wonderful PDF, of course...LOL)
Hello Booster4075

it excuses the bad English, I write with automatic translator.
I am Italian and I have climbed on the navigator professional on e90 with radio business. In your report I have not seen the connection of the pin 12 (white connector of the ccc) to the centralina you turn wheel, for great precision in the signal of navigation, I attach two photos of the connections.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #263
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:

hahaha i'd rather just fly you out here to do it for me, pay you a few hundred bucks to do it, buy you a few beers afterwards and send you on your merry way.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #264
Booster4075
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smercki View Post
Hello Booster4075

it excuses the bad English, I write with automatic translator.
I am Italian and I have climbed on the navigator professional on e90 with radio business. In your report I have not seen the connection of the pin 12 (white connector of the ccc) to the centralina you turn wheel, for great precision in the signal of navigation, I attach two photos of the connections.
To be honest - I'm not sure I know what wire you are talking about. You are correct - I made no mention of hooking up the wire you are talking about. In doing a little research with the WDS, I think I do see what you are talking about - I see a GE/BL wire going from pin #12 of connector x13814 at the CCC which goes to the DSC (which translates from the left front wheel speed sensor.)

Interesting. I'm pretty sure that US cars don't even have a connector fitted at the CCC for x13814. (there certainly is no white or any connector on my car!) I do know that the DSC talks to the CCC, but I think it comes over the K-can bus. One WDS diagram I looked at mentioned that this was only for cars in China/Japan/Korea, so I wonder if its a JNAV thing. Although the other diagram I looked at did not specify, so I interpreted it to be for all cars. I dunno for sure - interesting...I had not seen this. Luckily, the CCC has internal dead-reckoning ability to maintain its bearing even when the GPS signal is (temporarily) non-existant. To my knowledge, I'm not getting any errors/faults since I did not hook this up - I will check again though. (I'm assuming you are referring to connector x13814 since pin 11 of connector x13812 is the K-can High wire)

Rest assured, it works fine (at least on my US car) NOT hooking this up...I took a 1500 mile road trip two weeks ago - NAV worked flawlessly.
Appreciate 0