E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mod Exhaust Query

02-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Red face Mod Exhaust Query

Guys,

Am on a pre LCI 320D. Lately I've noticed the tips of the exhaust are not as sHiny as once were plus have drooped due to loss of a bracket. It's a 335d conversion so exhaust at both sides.

Think it's time to upgrade and wondered if anyone can recommend the best place to get them from (online or in the Surrey/Hampshire/London area).

1. Is there anything in specific I should look out for?
2. What do I essentially need for a nice (non chavy) sound, given its a 320D?
3. What advantage / disadvantages are there of replacing just the tips and nt the whole shabang?

Much appreciated!

Sam.
      02-26-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

There's a place called Cobra exhausts in the uk supply all types of custom exhausts think they do 335 type for 350.00.

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops//front and rear brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
I can only speak from my own experience but here goes:

Choose your exhaust place on recommendation. There a horror stories all over the interweb of botched jobs, even from franchises of the big name that sounds like Sour Ho

Replacing the tips is purely a cosmetic mod. Replacing the backbox is for the Corsa and Saxo brigade IMO - all noise and no function.

Replacing the full system (cat back OR turbo back) will probably add 1 or 2 bhp, but because it's a bigger bore, and back pressure is reduced, the turbo will spool faster and the car will feel noticeably more responsive.

In terms of sound, if you go for a full system, once they cut off the standard exhaust you'll be able to hear how loud it is with no silencing, and go from there - all the diesels I know that have had stainless cat back exhausts fitted have had no silencers of any sort, they're just not needed. The resonance of the exhaust provides a nice enough note under acceleration without droning or being intrusive while cruising.

HTH
      02-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Why not just clean them and replace the bracket..
      02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
There's a place called Cobra exhausts in the uk supply all types of custom exhausts think they do 335 type for 350.00.
Cheers mate I'll def check these guys out, seems to be a bit far though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I can only speak from my own experience but here goes:

Choose your exhaust place on recommendation. There a horror stories all over the interweb of botched jobs, even from franchises of the big name that sounds like Sour Ho

Replacing the tips is purely a cosmetic mod. Replacing the backbox is for the Corsa and Saxo brigade IMO - all noise and no function.

Replacing the full system (cat back OR turbo back) will probably add 1 or 2 bhp, but because it's a bigger bore, and back pressure is reduced, the turbo will spool faster and the car will feel noticeably more responsive.

In terms of sound, if you go for a full system, once they cut off the standard exhaust you'll be able to hear how loud it is with no silencing, and go from there - all the diesels I know that have had stainless cat back exhausts fitted have had no silencers of any sort, they're just not needed. The resonance of the exhaust provides a nice enough note under acceleration without droning or being intrusive while cruising.

HTH
Thanks Paul interesting passage. I'm after something that's sounds good, more powerful and roaring than what I currently have - is this possible for 320D's?? Could you suggest what I should do to get a better sound? Does this require the whole system replaced in your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Why not just clean them and replace the bracket..
This will be for an immediate fix but not long term as the mod bug bites!
      02-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

If you can get there RSR in redhill are coming up second to none in the area. I know few people on here that been there and got great results. Myself when my OEM got damaged I bought a BCS back box direct from them and then got RSR to fit it to get it all done perfect.

They did a great job. Worth giving them a clal.