E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Do I have a AWD Transfer Case? Old School Maintenance.

09-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Battle_Rattle
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 xi Coupe

Do I have a AWD Transfer Case? Old School Maintenance.

Or is a AWD transfer case only for manual transmissions? My car is AT. Sorry for the dumb question.

I ask because I want to do old school maintenance (per Mike Miller of Bimmer and Roundel Magazines) and I'm getting together my maintenance list for the dealer. I'm going to have the dealer do this work, because im still under extended warranty.

Oil Change (Every 7.5k) - 125$
Engine Coolant (Every 2 years) - 213$
Fuel Filter (every 60k) - 225$
Power Steering Fluid (every 30k) - 190$
Auto. Transmission Fluid (Many say don't do it, not needed, can be dangerous) - 450$
AWD Transfer Case (every 30k) - ???$
Differential Fluid (every 30k miles) - ???$
Spark Plugs (15k to 60k) - ???$
Cabin and Engine Air Filter - DIY
Water and Fuel Hoses (at 150k) - ???$
Belts - Mike Miller never actually mentioned when to change belts, have you thought of changing them?
Shocks - As needed?

Would you do this level of maintenance to keep it chugging until 130k miles + ??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle_Rattle View Post
Or is a AWD transfer case only for manual transmissions? My car is AT. Sorry for the dumb question.

I ask because I want to do old school maintenance (per Mike Miller of Bimmer and Roundel Magazines) and I'm getting together my maintenance list for the dealer. I'm going to have the dealer do this work, because im still under extended warranty.

Oil Change (Every 7.5k) - 125$
Engine Coolant (Every 2 years) - 213$
Fuel Filter (every 60k) - 225$
Power Steering Fluid (every 30k) - 190$
Auto. Transmission Fluid (Many say don't do it, not needed, can be dangerous) - 450$
AWD Transfer Case (every 30k) - ???$
Differential Fluid (every 30k miles) - ???$
Spark Plugs (15k to 60k) - ???$
Cabin and Engine Air Filter - DIY
Water and Fuel Hoses (at 150k) - ???$
Belts - Mike Miller never actually mentioned when to change belts, have you thought of changing them?
Shocks - As needed?

Would you do this level of maintenance to keep it chugging until 130k miles + ??

Thanks
I'll answer part of your question... Yes every XI has a transfer case and if you don't have a transfer case in any car you cannot achieve AWD (I'm sure there are exceptions). Under my standard warranty when you purchase a new car (for me 36k or 4 years... I brought mine in at 3 years 10 months) they refused to change the majority of the fluids that you mentioned. Maybe if you complain and tell them something doesn't feel right but they refused to change my AT fluid under warranty. What you have is good preventative maintenance though even if the dealership won't do it under any sort of warranty or maintenance plan. BMW says a lot of their fluids are 'lifetime' but I don't buy it.

I'm sure other people will chime in too!

Last edited by AllydNYC; 09-07-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I don't think you need to do diff/tranny related fluids until 50k. I did all that, plus brakes/Power Steering, at 50k. Do your belts then as well.

Coolant should be every two years. Plugs every 25k, unless you're tuned, and then you should check them at 10k and see how they look.

Shocks are usually dead earlier, but should be replaced no less frequent than every 50k. Subframe and other bushings, mounts etc should also be inspected at 50k for potential replacement.
Appreciate 0