E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > School vs Work

02-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

School vs Work

Hi! I have some questions and since you guys are super knowledgeable hopefully you can answer.

I graduated early (3.5 years) in my undergraduate education last December (major computer science and minor in nanotechnology). I am part of the school's program that allows us to take graduate courses as an undergrad in order to graduate with our M.S degree faster.

This semester I am a full time grad student and have 1 year left to go.

The problem is that I started applying to "real" jobs at big companies and all of them want me to go full time. My jobs during undergrad were CS research and didn't pay well but they were flexible.

Has anyone worked full time while attending school? How was it and how long did it take you to complete?

2 of the companies said they have programs where they could pay for part of my education, but it would delay my graduation by another year or so since I could only take 1 class a semester. The longer I take to graduate the more expensive it is for me and also more time I am "in school".

Ideally, I would like to have an internship for a company for a year just to get the degree done with and then go full time...but the offers I have been given are for full time positions only.

>_> <_<
      02-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

My last semester in college (undergrad) worked full time and attended night classes..

My MBA I did all at night while working FT..4 years to complete instead of 2
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
I'd take some of the offers especially if they are willing to pay for some of your tuition. Going to school at night and work during the day will probably take an extra year or two, but you'll be able to have some money in your pocket at a young age
      02-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

I was in a very similar situation to what you are and I did what BKV122 said. I took a job, and attended night classes, while letting that company offset some of my costs of school. If somebody is willing to pay you, as well as pay for some/all of your schooling, don't turn that down.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
take the job
the point of a degree is to get a job, if you can get one without a degree, then you took a winning shortcut IMO.
      02-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

taking the job is probably the best bet. bachelor->master is not really a huge step (just a few more classes like you said). if you really want the degree, do 1 class/term and don't worry about it. if it's purely to learn, a few books and/or online guides will fill that void also.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I worked full time and went to grad school for the last year and a half. It honestly isn't that bad. I was taking a class every 7 weeks (2 per semester) but have recently doubled up (4 per semester which is full time). Doubling up is definitely much more difficult but as long as you stay disciplined and keep up with your school work you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

You seem like a smart kid. A degree is used to get yourself in the door and as a result, get a job. If the "real" job comes before even finishing the degree then yes go for it. If they are willing to partially pay for your continued education, then yes yes. Remember that experience is far greater than education. Everyone can get a degree if they had the means but not everyone can get experiences in the profession that they want. Yes it would take you longer to get the degree but I doubt the next employer would mind it one bit.

My advice is go for the job. Good job opportunities are hard to come by and you'll see beforehand if you like this career. You can always go back to finish your degree anytime, anywhere you want. Best of luck in your career and choices.
      02-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Going straight into Master's after undergrad is dumb IMO, unless you can't get a job. Take a full-time job and do your Master's part time. My company paid for my M.S. in full and I did it in 2 years, while pocketing savings.
Free Master's + job experience + savings = win.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Going straight into Master's after undergrad is dumb IMO, unless you can't get a job. Take a full-time job and do your Master's part time. My company paid for my M.S. in full and I did it in 2 years, while pocketing savings.
What he said. If you have a job offer you should take it. You will get experience from it and maybe tuition reimbursement. Last thing you want is finishing your masters and no job.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

thanks guys!

I am going to accept the offer! 65k starting salary with an additional 10k a year for school. Will get an additional increase in salary once I finish my masters
      02-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
+1

In fact most Master degree programs favor work experience when applying for admission.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Im currently in college after splitting 10 yrs in the military/contracting. It is so pointless. Im jealous of you guys who got this out of the way at a young age.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
thanks guys!

I am going to accept the offer! 65k starting salary with an additional 10k a year for school. Will get an additional increase in salary once I finish my masters
That's what I started at out of college. I received ~$30k in tuition reimbursement from my company as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Im currently in college after splitting 10 yrs in the military/contracting. It is so pointless. Im jealous of you guys who got this out of the way at a young age.
I'm very glad I finished M.S. in Systems Engineering at 26.
Appreciate 0