E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 2011 335d - Occasional Belt Squeal at Start Up

08-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #155
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
As far as a 335d goes there's a lot of stuff that isn't supposed to happen going on. These cars are rigged so many ways. Just depends on how creative you want to get. The video doesn't lie though. And considering Hooper's status in this community, I doubt he is going to lie about what he did. It's clearly possible to do it all clockwise. Regardless of how you're "supposed to" do it.

I suppose you are right but i want to know exactly how he did it and he isnt telling me. I looked at it again and i suppose you could go clockwise with that tool but without trying it myself i cant confirm that. Looking at the tool and the guide the belt slides on if you go the opposite direction it still has a small angle the belt could possibly slide against that but it is clearly marked the direction of travel to remove and inatall and that aint it.

If someone is going to tell me i did it wrong or it can be done better and i would be wasting others time by recommending to do it the way j did it, and then not even tell me or show me how to do it their way, yeah i am going to get offended. I mean i dont care anyone's status its just insulting to me to kinda tell me I am an idiot ( and sometimes I am) and then not show me how to do it better or an easier way is just rude.

As a matter of fact i took the instructions of how to do this from another member on this forum and no one is told him he did it wrong or there is some faster easier way to do it. I was just confirming that members methode as being easy and what worked and not to do what i originally was doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #156
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson335d View Post
I suppose you are right but i want to know exactly how he did it and he isnt telling me. I looked at it again and i suppose you could go clockwise with that tool but without trying it myself i cant confirm that. Looking at the tool and the guide the belt slides on if you go the opposite direction it still has a small angle the belt could possibly slide against that but it is clearly marked the direction of travel to remove and inatall and that aint it.

If someone is going to tell me i did it wrong or it can be done better and i would be wasting others time by recommending to do it the way j did it, and then not even tell me or show me how to do it their way, yeah i am going to get offended. I mean i dont care anyone's status its just insulting to me to kinda tell me I am an idiot ( and sometimes I am) and then not show me how to do it better or an easier way is just rude.

As a matter of fact i took the instructions of how to do this from another member on this forum and no one is told him he did it wrong or there is some faster easier way to do it. I was just confirming that members methode as being easy and what worked and not to do what i originally was doing.
Nobody called you stupid or even really said it was easier to go fully clockwise. Just that it happened to work for other people. I don't get why you're so worked up about it. He's just sharing a tip about what worked for him, and there are 2 people saying they did the same. Also, he did tell you what he did. Last post on page 7.

"From memory, I believe what I did was flip the tool over to the install side, hook the belt over the install ramp just like you would do if turning counter clockwise but with the belt on the pulley in front of the ramp instead of behind, turned clockwise instead and it worked fine. The fancy little belt director/ramp thing on the install side is really not necessary since the belt does not hold form past the end of the ramp anyway so I just looked past their design and treated the install ramp as basically a hook to keep the belt from sliding off. It is unfortunate that the tool is designed to install and remove in different directions since youre never supposed to turn an engine in the reverse of its running direction, but I guess that is what they had to do to design a tool that would work on both the front side and back side of pulleys."
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #157
dextersl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport Le-Mans Blue

Has anyone else used the Dayco E040320 when replacing this belt?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 02:56 AM   #158
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dextersl View Post
Has anyone else used the Dayco E040320 when replacing this belt?
Ya that's the exact belt i used.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #159
scootle
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Here is the official bulletin.

Note it says to replace with a DIFFERENT belt from another vehicle, NOT the belt listed on e90 parts diagram.
Sorry to necro a somewhat old thread, but my 2011 335d at around 53k miles has also started to do this squealing. Thanks so much for providing the Tech Bulletin solution... since I'm out of warranty, I'll have my 3rd party shop do the work when I go in for an alignment soon.

Like others, the problem is especially bad in very hot weather.
Appreciate 0