E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > A note on coolant flushes

06-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

A note on coolant flushes

Long story long:

In the process of flushing my coolant. I removed the under tray and FMIC. I unclipped the hose from the heat exchanger and fluid poured everywhere. I didn't quite position my 5 gallon bucket correctly. It would have been much easier if I had waited for my gf to get home to open the reservoir while I quickly moved the bucket. Instead, coolant everywhere! Good thing for shop towels. Anyway, now to the point. After I drained all the coolant from the clip on the heat exchanger, I unscrewed the coolant drain plug. For those that don't know, it is a tiny blue screw on the drivers side. I read somewhere that you have to hold the black screw (hex head) surrounding the blue screw with a 3/4" wrench while you remove the blue screw, so that's what I did. Got the blue screw out and to my surprise almost zero coolant came out. It is dripping right now but not nearly the volume I was expecting. So basically I wasted my time removing the FMIC and that screw. Oh well. I got to get the oil out of my FMIC at least.

CLIFFS: There is zero point removing the FMIC to remove the blue drain plug... just remove the hose to the heat exchanger.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Yes, for ATs it would be extra work to remove the intercooler. For MTs, we have no choice but to remove the intercooler and drain from the radiator.
Appreciate 0