E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 06 330xi At Dealership For Service

10-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
06 330xi At Dealership For Service

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information.

My car is not starting and I had it towed to Defouw BMW to have it worked on. I believe I have narrowed it down to possibly the starter. I have also decided to get it aligned to adjust the camber. I am having them fix the sag of the underbody cover and also take a look at the oil (seems I am burning to much oil).

Would anyone have any idea (assuming it's the starter) about how much all of this is going to cost me? I know taking it to a dealership is going to put a dent in the wallet, but i was just looking to see if anyone had any clue of a rough figure im looking at.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyScherer18 View Post
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information.

My car is not starting and I had it towed to Defouw BMW to have it worked on. I believe I have narrowed it down to possibly the starter. I have also decided to get it aligned to adjust the camber. I am having them fix the sag of the underbody cover and also take a look at the oil (seems I am burning to much oil).

Would anyone have any idea (assuming it's the starter) about how much all of this is going to cost me? I know taking it to a dealership is going to put a dent in the wallet, but i was just looking to see if anyone had any clue of a rough figure im looking at.

We need more information before we can give you our advice. What do u mean by not starting? Was it cranking or just clicks? How old is your battery? The oil part could be a leak due to a bad VCG most likely. Why not take it to a Indy shop?

Sorry but you better have some vaseline handy...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
We need more information before we can give you our advice. What do u mean by not starting? Was it cranking or just clicks? How old is your battery? The oil part could be a leak due to a bad VCG most likely. Why not take it to a Indy shop?

Sorry but you better have some vaseline handy...
It sounded like it was cranking just not turning over. And all of my instrument lights, interior and exterior lights turn on with no issue. And i have taken it to an Indy shop before, but i thought i'd see what would happen if i went to a dealership center. And i am not sure how old the battery is but i tried jumping it with a different vehicle attached and an external battery, both times were a failure. And where i live their arent any authorized bmw indy shops, just garages, so if it is something major i dont want daddy and son to fix it (sorry for being blunt)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

If it cranks then it's not the starter. When my starter died there was no sound at all. Just a click from under the hood. They will need to pull codes to see what it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Most likely will be his battery if never have been replaced. It could be cranking but not fast enough to fire up...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Most likely will be his battery if never have been replaced. It could be cranking but not fast enough to fire up...
I just dont see why my car is lighting up like a Christmas tree and two different attempts at a jump start (one with a different car and one with a battery) is still not getting it started.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
I just dont see why my car is lighting up like a Christmas tree and two different attempts at a jump start (one with a different car and one with a battery) is still not getting it started.
How long did you leave the jumper cables connected to the car for? I have seen cases where people expect car to start immediately but is not the case. You have to leave jumper cables and leave the "other"car running for about 5 min. before you attempt to start your car.

Again, I am not saying is your battery for sure but it sure sounds like it, especially if you also experiencing lighting up like Christmas tree light on dashboard.

Keep us posted...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Exactly what lights are you getting on your dash? It is typical to get a light show after a failed start. The lights aren't necessarily telling you anything useful though. Get it scanned for codes, it could be a bad crank sensor and diagnostics will tell you this.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks
Exactly what lights are you getting on your dash? It is typical to get a light show after a failed start. The lights aren't necessarily telling you anything useful though. Get it scanned for codes, it could be a bad crank sensor and diagnostics will tell you this.
All the instrument lights, interior lights, and exterior lights turn on as they would when the car was fine. Im having Defouw take a look at it and fix it, i'll let you guys know what they find (kinda wish i would ran the diagnostics myself, i have the programs and all that stuff from when i coded my car a few months ago)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
It sounded like it was cranking just not turning over. And all of my instrument lights, interior and exterior lights turn on with no issue. And i have taken it to an Indy shop before, but i thought i'd see what would happen if i went to a dealership center. And i am not sure how old the battery is but i tried jumping it with a different vehicle attached and an external battery, both times were a failure. And where i live their arent any authorized bmw indy shops, just garages, so if it is something major i dont want daddy and son to fix it (sorry for being blunt)
This sounds like the fuel pump to me, but you do want to test it before spending $300 on a new pump. The good news is, the fuel pump is absurdly easy to get to on BMWs. Just remove the back seat!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
BMW_ANTHONY
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Turns out it was the Starter. $930 for part and labor.
Appreciate 0