E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 - SES Light on / Codes - Any help IDing the codes?

06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
f3d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Question JB4 - SES Light on / Codes - Any help IDing the codes?

Hi guys,

Was recently going up to a friends house and had the SES light come on. It was at night and the lights really fkn annoying so I used the JB4 to clear all the codes to kill the SES light.

Later I shut off auto clear and left it light that for a while. No light/no codes....

This past weekend, BAM, fkn light comes back on. I was cruising with little load on he motor at 70mph on the highway in map 2 on 93 octane.

These are the codes I found (the top two I've seen before without any dash lights, but the third seems to be what tripped the SES light):

- 28A0 No Description Found
- 2C90 No Description Found
- 2774 No Description Found

I did a search for that code and I saw Mike attribute it to something the ECU will regularly throw with the JB4 tune. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that or the ECU magically dropped the code that actually threw the SES light somehow (the light was off the next day).

I searched for some kind of index of fault codes the ECU will report but couldn't find anything on the site. Sorry if it's out there. Pls link me to it?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
torqnDC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Link to the Code list
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...64&postcount=1

The top 2 are "normal tuner codes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3d View Post
Hi guys,

Was recently going up to a friends house and had the SES light come on. It was at night and the lights really fkn annoying so I used the JB4 to clear all the codes to kill the SES light.

Later I shut off auto clear and left it light that for a while. No light/no codes....

This past weekend, BAM, fkn light comes back on. I was cruising with little load on he motor at 70mph on the highway in map 2 on 93 octane.

These are the codes I found (the top two I've seen before without any dash lights, but the third seems to be what tripped the SES light):

I did a search for that code and I saw Mike attribute it to something the ECU will regularly throw with the JB4 tune. I'm sorry but I'm not buying that or the ECU magically dropped the code that actually threw the SES light somehow (the light was off the next day).

I searched for some kind of index of fault codes the ECU will report but couldn't find anything on the site. Sorry if it's out there. Pls link me to it?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
f3d
Private
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Sam335ix
Major
Rep
Drives: 335 ix performance edition

Quote:
Thanks!
Did you unplug the battery when you installed the jb4?

Coming soon to the garage: 2014 M3 Maybe M5
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Hi guys,

All three are tuner codes. If you leave auto clear off, expect to eventually see an SES light and have those three codes stored. If the light came up with auto clear on then likely the firmware is out of date. But if you need any additional assistance just email BMS.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
f3d
Private
Rep

Mike, reading the code descriptions in the above linked list, isn't the last code (2774) indicative of a boost leak or sticking DV? or is it the opposite? Saying the ECU is freaking out because the MAF is counting more air than the ECU expects?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
f3d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
Did you unplug the battery when you installed the jb4?
I did. The JB4's been on the car for about 7-8 months now, but just recently starting throwing the SES light.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Mike, reading the code descriptions in the above linked list, isn't the last code (2774) indicative of a boost leak or sticking DV? or is it the opposite? Saying the ECU is freaking out because the MAF is counting more air than the ECU expects?
2774 just means the DME is registering more mass-airflow from the MAF sensor than the DME expects to see based on its MAP readings. Both signals are fooled by the JB4 but if the MAF sensor isn't fooled enough like in low throttle situations where lagfix is used you'll trigger the 2774 code. Some cars trigger it and others don't. And there are settings the govern that which are changed from firmware to firmware. As a first step I'd update to the 3/7 firmware posted, turn on auto clear, and see if the new settings handle it. If you still get a SES light with 2774 just email BMS for addl help.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
divisionbell77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
All three are tuner codes. If you leave auto clear off, expect to eventually see an SES light and have those three codes stored. If the light came up with auto clear on then likely the firmware is out of date. But if you need any additional assistance just email BMS.

Mike
Thanks! I just popped the 28a0 code on the way home and was kinda freaking out thinking 'f'ing HPFP....'
Appreciate 0