E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > these coilovers?

01-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 318D

Question these coilovers?

I've been looking for coilovers for my E90 for a while but I'm kind of struggling to find a decent place to get decent/budget coilovers, since I really don't fancy dropping £1k on KW's.

I was basically settled on getting a set of V-Maxx coilovers, but I'd never heard of V-Maxx before now so I kept looking around

Then I found these really budget coilovers while browsing on eBay and since I've heard of FK before, I thought they were a more reputable brand than V-Maxx?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230696597914

I'm not really looking for super low budget coilovers, and the price being low made me feel that they may not be of the best quality/standard, has anyone had any experience with FK on any car before?

Just thought I'd get a second opinion before I wasted my money/trashed my car!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

don't do it bro...you truly get what you pay for...ill rather get springs than these coilovers...save yourself a headache and dont buy these...save for some decent "Street" Coilover.
      01-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thought so, from what I've read they are okay... and like you say, you get what you pay for.

Just thought I'd ask anyway, will probably just get V-Maxx coilovers, unless I can find better.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Apogee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d/Lancer Evolution X

A long time ago I ordered some coilover off ebay for my civic, the worst move I ever made, they did'nt last 2 months. You really don't need coilovers if your planning on just spirited driving on the streets...just get some good springs with a decent drop and that should suffice
      01-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
One that you might want to look at is BC Coilovers, i used them on both my Mazda 3 sport and Mazda 3 MPS and found them to be great. 30 way damper adjustment and full height adjustment. Much better than the AP's and Weitecs a few of my friends have had.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

I had Bilstein PSS9's on my Audi Rs6 and they were brilliant! Felt more comfortable than standard and amazing body control for such a big car.

I would agree that unless you plan to track the car then a decent set of springs will do for our shoddy roads! I have had eibach on previous BMW's and my 306 rallye and would def give them the thumbs up for ride quality and handling.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
DarkAnt335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S & '118D

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
Might have been better than AP/Weitecs on Mazda but on a BMW it might be a totally different story.

You often hear about people having better luck with certain brand coilovers over others, its very car dependant I find.

APs are screamed about on German BMW forums. Apart from the body coatings theres little between the entry KW/Weitec and AP coilovers.
Agreed. If the posters had said the best available Coilovers then i probably wouldn't have mentioned BC. Although i cannot speak from experience directly related to a BMW set up i can vouch for fit, finish, quality, adjustment and ride comfort of the product itself.

For the original posters requirements (Decent/Budget) they are a brand defiantly worth considering as they fit (price wise and probably quality) between the budget V-maxx and the likes of KW variants.

BC do have some very good reviews on BMW's, Mazda's and Subaru's especially in the US scene. Have a search on google plenty of info and positive reviews on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions, I don't really want to go with just springs, since I want to go pretty low.

Like I said, I want budget/decent coilovers, but I'm not going for the worst available coilovers just because of the price, I know you have to pay for quality and you get what you pay for etc. I just thought FK were a decent make, I'll have a look at BC instead then, thanks for the suggestion DarkAnt.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

How 'low' can you go?

You're probably going to screw up the handling anyhow so just buy the cheapest tat you can find.
Job done.
      01-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Anything less than the Konigsports aren't great. Of course if you careless about handling, comfort and reliability those cheapy FKs will work for you. But you'll soon hear the echos of I told you so after 6 months+

I'd go APs.. German eBay for under £500 delivered.
I agree with you, the only reason I asked about those coilovers was because they are FK's and I thought they were a decent make, I wasn't going to buy them unless I got amazing feedback, which I doubted anyway.

I had a look at APs as you suggested, they seem a decent price, I think I'm split between a few choices now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
How 'low' can you go?

You're probably going to screw up the handling anyhow so just buy the cheapest tat you can find.
Job done.
I didn't mean 'low', I haven't decided how 'low' I want to go yet, and I'd prefer coilovers to find a nice ride height that I find comfortable, but thanks for the helpful input anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Bilstein, KW3, maybe some Konis.
BC normally ship with high spring rates, as they are a Jap origin product right?

Your choice of spring rates are of greatest importance, what rates are you using now?
What do you want to move to?
And why?

Then maybe someone can help you
      01-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotty View Post
I didn't mean 'low', I haven't decided how 'low' I want to go yet, and I'd prefer coilovers to find a nice ride height that I find comfortable, but thanks for the helpful input anyway.
The man is right though...the lower you go the more likely you are to spend time on the bump stops which means its will ride and handle like a dog.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #13
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Don't buy FK, a quick Google will reveal so many threads reporting clunking sounds. I'd go for no less than AP's.

Check out a company called K-Sport, they're popular on the Jap scene and the same deal as KW's/Weitec/AP however, I believe it is Tein/D2/K-Sport in this case.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Jesus, those AP's are cheap!

I'm personally torn between the H&R Sport Cup Kit (springs/shocks) and these AP's but first I need to work out what boot trim needs removing in the E93 to access the rears.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Those APs look brilliant, I think thats my choice now! I saw those on a couple of websites but they were priced at nearly £600-800 Which was a little over budget! but that's a great price!

Thanks for the find!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

IMO, do it right or don't do it at all. http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=266
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #17
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
AP - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AP-Gewinde...item1c0f0f3ff6 You might get them little cheaper if you make an offer. Even at the price they have on the buy it now thats over £100+ cheaper than UK retailers!!
That's a brilliant price! Less than £500 delivered
      01-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
IMO, do it right or don't do it at all. http://www.tcklineracing.com/index.c...y&Category=266
If you're going to send the car on regular track days then I agree, buy the best but for street use the the AP's are great. They offer decent comfort and the ability to set your own ride height, for the street and maybe a couple of non-serious/really competetive track days, they will be perfect but I'm sure coupled with an LSD, ARBs and M3 bushings they'll perform fantastically even then. I'd recommend coating them in white grease on first fitment though, especially on the threads just to ensure smooth operation.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #19
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

If you buy the better KW coilovers the spring perches are delrin (plastics), you'll have no seizing issues, ever.

Some people just can't be educated however.

Cheap dampers in a nice salty UK climate and fecked roads with high spring rates.

Things will only go one way.

01-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Weitec also use plastic. By the looks of it on my phone, so do these APs.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #21
schotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I'm decided on those AP's now, I don't to drop huge money because I have no intention of tracking my car, at least not competitively if at all.

For that reason, I don't think I need anything "better", and I definitely don't want anything "worse".
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #22
m1bjr
United Kingdom
Rep

Good intel

I would say those dampers are out of the same factory for sure.
You see the polyamide perch on the KW though?
Make sure those alloy perches are well greased - I would wrap the things in Denso Tape, or they are a bitch to move after a winter!

The KW3 are stainless steel. On DD you might keep a few years, they would be my choice again.

Might want to look at this:
http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_inox_line.php

Last edited by m1bjr; 02-01-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0