E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 w/ Meth

09-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
bb2405
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [8.76]
N55 w/ Meth

How is meth running on the N55? I'm going to be Guinea Pig testing methanol on the N55 535i and want to know how well it's been going or if there are any issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb2405
How is meth running on the N55? I'm going to be Guinea Pig testing methanol on the N55 535i and want to know how well it's been going or if there are any issues?
It works great, getting ambient to a little under ambient IAT and maxed out timing... Your motor will runs at its best period. You will get 100% constant results.

No issue for me, but only running 50/50 mix in WW bottle and keeping a close eye on everything. Keep the feed line away from heat as much as possible. Mounting the pump in the trunk should be a better idea but leaks are still possible there...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
bb2405
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [8.76]
im second guesssing guinea pigging, just dont like the idea of people pulling apart stuff in the engine bay. id rather someone else have the headache with testing it haha.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Ive been running it for awhile including e85 and it runs great.

Going through a gallon a week right now. Just cant get enough
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
bb2405
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Ive been running it for awhile including e85 and it runs great.

Going through a gallon a week right now. Just cant get enough
trunk mount or WW? and is that in a 135 or a 535?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

I have a WW but we should get the same benefits regardless of chassis.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
518N55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i coupe

N55 Meth

I have been running meth constantly for 23,000 miles w/ no problems. My only alteration is an overflow tube I hooked to the top of the WW fill cap and routed out the side of the engine bay. I started with 50:50 concentrations, then i moved up to 85:15, but after fires were happening i moved back down to the 50:50... I do a e85/93 mix with the meth and BMS flex wires. I could not be happier with the reliability and the performance!

I run a +6 ad around town and log a few times a week to be sure everything is running nice and to test new firmwares etc. Never had a problem
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
bb2405
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 518N55 View Post
I have been running meth constantly for 23,000 miles w/ no problems. My only alteration is an overflow tube I hooked to the top of the WW fill cap and routed out the side of the engine bay. I started with 50:50 concentrations, then i moved up to 85:15, but after fires were happening i moved back down to the 50:50... I do a e85/93 mix with the meth and BMS flex wires. I could not be happier with the reliability and the performance!

I run a +6 ad around town and log a few times a week to be sure everything is running nice and to test new firmwares etc. Never had a problem
what hp/tq are you putting to the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
518N55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i coupe

I have not got to a Dyno, but Terry said based on my logs when I was +7 with 50:50 e85 and 93 i should be equivalent to their shop car... so around 390 hp to wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #10
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335i

Garage List
I switched up FROM WW to trunk and I'm never looking back. So happy I did so... no issues with flow anymore, no issues with heat anymore, no issues with fire hazard, I have a larger tank now... just do the trunk install, it's also easily REMOVABLE if you need to do so. BMS offers both WW and trunk as does Vishnu. I went with DevilsOwn parts for my conversion. Do it.
      09-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanhiker View Post
I switched up FROM WW to trunk and I'm never looking back. So happy I did so... no issues with flow anymore, no issues with heat anymore, no issues with fire hazard, I have a larger tank now... just do the trunk install, it's also easily REMOVABLE if you need to do so. BMS offers both WW and trunk as does Vishnu. I went with DevilsOwn parts for my conversion. Do it.
What's your take on the trunk unit? You say you get good flow now. Was this a problem with the WW setup? Do you achieve more consistency now with the trunk setup? How about overall consistency vs no meth? Did you run the tubing through your interior under the carpet and then to the motor?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, basically just trying to get your comprehensive input on N55 + meth.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
What's your take on the trunk unit? You say you get good flow now. Was this a problem with the WW setup? Do you achieve more consistency now with the trunk setup? How about overall consistency vs no meth? Did you run the tubing through your interior under the carpet and then to the motor?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, basically just trying to get your comprehensive input on N55 + meth.
f*cking love my new trunk tank. DevilsOwn 2.25 gallon tank (here) and yea, I was one who had bad flow and a lot of others do too but may not know it. I logged and logged and then logged more. Then I dyno'd probably 20 times over the course of 3 weeks to try to nail this down. Bottom line: the WW kit is PULLING fluid up out of the WW tank then up over the cowl and then injects at the nozzle site. IAT's (using a CM10 nozzle) never lowered temps more than 3-5 degrees. (period). (50/50, 75/25, 93 oct, 104 Sunoco... didn't matter). What was consistent in the WW setup was that IAT's would not lower - and we hijacked the system to exclude the wiper motor as well. A lot of work went into this, and I can safely say that, for me, the trunk install is an absolute no brainier. I'm not knocking the kit nor BMS, Terry does backflips to support his customers and through his help, I was able to nail MY issue down. Since installing the trunk kit, and mounting the pump to the tank, the fluid is now PUSHED and the line is a straight shot to my nozzle in cp by running the line under the car.

Flow is CONSISTENT at 100% during prescribed rpm range in jb4 during WOT.

The difference (using meth and NOT using meth) is night and day with the n55, but understand that running meth is tricky to dial in. -pulling timing, octane rating/quality/fuel grade, boost juice mixture, jb4 tune settings.... they allplay a factor. I can tell you that once you have your methanol dialed in, leave it alone! It IS consistent and it is NOT bad for you engine - in fact - much research has been done to PROVE that it actually keeps your engine internals CLEAN. I could go on, but the reality is that you should do it and you'll see. BMS provides fantastic customer support, but you have to log/dyno every step of the way - log/dyno BEFORE even touching your car to get a baseline.... then go from there. good luck
      09-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
sA x sKy
Sameet
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: AY/B M4 '15

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
f*cking love my new trunk tank. DevilsOwn 2.25 gallon tank (here) and yea, I was one who had bad flow and a lot of others do too but may not know it. I logged and logged and then logged more. Then I dyno'd probably 20 times over the course of 3 weeks to try to nail this down. Bottom line: the WW kit is PULLING fluid up out of the WW tank then up over the cowl and then injects at the nozzle site. IAT's (using a CM10 nozzle) never lowered temps more than 3-5 degrees. (period). (50/50, 75/25, 93 oct, 104 Sunoco... didn't matter). What was consistent in the WW setup was that IAT's would not lower - and we hijacked the system to exclude the wiper motor as well. A lot of work went into this, and I can safely say that, for me, the trunk install is an absolute no brainier. I'm not knocking the kit nor BMS, Terry does backflips to support his customers and through his help, I was able to nail MY issue down. Since installing the trunk kit, and mounting the pump to the tank, the fluid is now PUSHED and the line is a straight shot to my nozzle in cp by running the line under the car.

Flow is CONSISTENT at 100% during prescribed rpm range in jb4 during WOT.

The difference (using meth and NOT using meth) is night and day with the n55, but understand that running meth is tricky to dial in. -pulling timing, octane rating/quality/fuel grade, boost juice mixture, jb4 tune settings.... they allplay a factor. I can tell you that once you have your methanol dialed in, leave it alone! It IS consistent and it is NOT bad for you engine - in fact - much research has been done to PROVE that it actually keeps your engine internals CLEAN. I could go on, but the reality is that you should do it and you'll see. BMS provides fantastic customer support, but you have to log/dyno every step of the way - log/dyno BEFORE even touching your car to get a baseline.... then go from there. good luck
I've been getting <50% flow for the past 2 months..definitely going trunk mount in the next two weeks. Rob, I was actually wondering if you could help me out assuming I went with a fuel cell with braided lines. I'm not sure what braided line would fit to the CM10 and to the tank..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sA x sKy View Post
I've been getting <50% flow for the past 2 months..definitely going trunk mount in the next two weeks. Rob, I was actually wondering if you could help me out assuming I went with a fuel cell with braided lines. I'm not sure what braided line would fit to the CM10 and to the tank..
I'll PM you the details of what I did... I also changed the solenoid. Customer service at DevilsOwn rocks too... you have to do this.
      09-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
f*cking love my new trunk tank. DevilsOwn 2.25 gallon tank (here)
How do you have it mounted? Curious about trunk space. I was looking for something that could be mounted in one of the corners out of the way, so you can still pull the trunk floor up...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
madmanhiker
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostd92 View Post
How do you have it mounted? Curious about trunk space. I was looking for something that could be mounted in one of the corners out of the way, so you can still pull the trunk floor up...
there is room in the trunk for a multitude of locations. for me, I mounted it in the left corner so it's easy to refill when I open the trunk. I rarely use my trunk, so it doesn't really matter to me. Search the forums here though, there are plenty of examples... some completely stealth, and others simple like mine.
      09-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Thanks for the solid responses, madman. Since intercoolers don't provide huge gains on the N55 meth becomes a very reasonable option. I'm glad to hear you get consistent flow and power. That's one thing that worries me about a JB4 + meth setup. So many variables. I like to keep things as simple as possible but as long as flow and power are consistent that makes me more willing to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #18
jbarzelatto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Lemans

devilsown in n55

Quote:
I'll PM you the details of what I did... I also changed the solenoid. Customer service at DevilsOwn rocks too... you have to do this.
Could you tell me how you did it too?

I just got a devilsown kit that came off an evo, and the guy said it will work in any car. So how do you do it? Do you still need a charge pipe with a meth bung anyway?

thank you all
Appreciate 1