E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AC Compressor Replacement

12-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Pilarskica
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black E90

AC Compressor Replacement

I finally found out what the sound coming from the engine bay was. After taking the serpintne belt off and having no nois,e I got a shorter belt and then had no noise at all. It seems the pully for the AC was gradually going.

I did some research and found a DIY for the compressor:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906928

My biggest fear is the refrigerant. Do you evac the system before you start ? Then do you go to a shop and have them refill the system?

the AC was working great over the summer so is there a DIY to replace the pulley ? Everything I saw was from 2011.

I've only got 87k on my 2009 but I have a feeling this was a gradual failure. The steering seems so much lighter now with the compressor bypassed.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
frisbeeguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

You are supposed to have the refrigerant "recovered" since letting it out is illegal. Then you replace the compressor, draw a vacuum to check for leaks, and fill the system according to the r134a refrigerant chart (need to see high and low pressure)...ericthecarguy has a video on this...all cars are the same when it comes to AC work.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #3
simon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Montego Blue 328i

Getting the compressor in and out is a mild pain in the rear end because of where it's located, and if your compressor is making noise, you need to take proper provisions to remove swarf from the system.

Yes, per the law, you need to take your car to a shop and have the refrigerant recovered. It is illegal to vent refrigerant to the atmosphere.

Do not follow eric the car guy's video or any other method for charging the refrigerant. You must charge by weight, no questions asked. The weight of the refrigerant is located on a label under the hood.

To do this job the right way, you'll need:
1. Refrigerant recovery (and amount of oil that was removed measured so you know how much to add back)
2. a real vacuum pump
3. Manifold gauges, and ideally a micron gauge
4. Vacuum rated hoses and fittings
5. New hoses, fittings, whatever lines require replacing to remove swarf
6. All new o rings for whatever fittings are removed.
7. R134A and a real refrigerant scale for weighing in charge

There are a lot of tools to do this job right that will be expensive. Odds are you'll only use them once. I am a dedicated DIYer, but this one might make sense to take it to a good shop. If you're paying for it, make sure they do it the right way. Or if you have a buddy in HVAC, they'll have all this and probably let you borrow or help you for some beer or something.

Simon
Appreciate 0