E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW-ConnectedDrive is cool

09-16-2007, 02:39 PM   #67
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Paul, you just need to do exactly the same as when you first updated the system.

Go to the imenu, by clicking the controller down on the idrive main menu -> roll down to BMW Service settings -> Service status -> Push down to options -> Update services

All of this requires the ability for your car to connect to whichever mobile network BMW Assist uses.

If there are any changes to Assist, your car will download them (which I doubt, because there hasn't been any changes, at least since you first had it installed).

I only just noticed, but the ability to call locations sent down by Assist automatically appears after you turn on your pre-paired BT phone!

Also, all of the main Assist menus are available by voice recognition, but you do still have to select any submenus yourself.

Perhaps this is the ideal time to test out your SOS button- well it is an emergency, for you, at least!

All the best.

Viv
Viv, I thought perhaps it was in there - that's the problem, I can't get into any options like "Options" as they are all effectively greyed out/not responding. Very odd. I'm hoping when mine works I'll be able to use the shortcut keys on the dash to store the location of the "messagaes" option and therefore go straight to it!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #68
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Viv, I thought perhaps it was in there - that's the problem, I can't get into any options like "Options" as they are all effectively greyed out/not responding. Very odd. I'm hoping when mine works I'll be able to use the shortcut keys on the dash to store the location of the "messagaes" option and therefore go straight to it!
'Looks like a 'f**ked iDrive' issue, as the technicians might say!

You should be able to assign the buttons as you want, Paul.

I think they will certainly have to try re-booting the iDrive with their diagnostic DIS SSS machine, or whatever they currently use, and will need to check the TCU (telematics control unit).

I'm sure they'll be able to get it working pretty soon, Paul, as long as they don't need to re-install the entire Progman version, which I doubt.

Here's hoping they'll soon let you get back to finding out the time of the next showing of the Simpsons at your local cinema!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #69
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
That's what's so annoying Viv, TBH I'm not sure I'll ever use it that much but as it was so easy to get and free I thought I would. It is such a hassle putting the car into the dealers for a day and they'll probably wash it with a dirty sponge too even when instructed not to!!!! Mind you, first off it might be a saturday morning job which wouldn't be so bad I guess...

Thanks for your help viv.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #70
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

just wanted to add...got this BMW / GoogleMaps thing working today myself. very cool. how sad that things like this impress

for those that ain't figured it out yet, when your application is processed you will receive an SMS message with a username/password in. this is the username you enter into GoogleMaps. the username seems to default to the mobile number you supply on the application form.

if you want a new username simply login using the original one on:

http://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk

in there you need to go to the "My Data" section to activate the google maps "send" authorisation. you can then change your username / password to something you prefer and use your new username in google maps.

just tried it out and worked first time for me
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #71
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
That's what's so annoying Viv, TBH I'm not sure I'll ever use it that much but as it was so easy to get and free I thought I would. It is such a hassle putting the car into the dealers for a day and they'll probably wash it with a dirty sponge too even when instructed not to!!!! Mind you, first off it might be a saturday morning job which wouldn't be so bad I guess...

Thanks for your help viv.
No problem, Paul.

If I were in the same situation, I'd let them re-set the system, which shouldn't take too long at all.

My car was in for 8 hours & they washed it inside out, before handing it back to me & I wasn't charged a penny.

It is a nuisance, but I'd still want it working, especially since it may just save your life one day (automatic crash/accident notification)!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #72
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I've just spoken to BMW Assist on 0800 561 0555

They confirmed that 'BMW Assist' and 'BMW Online' are now combined as 'BMW Connected Drive' and that the service was free for 3 years for 'all new accounts from 1st Sept 07'.

She confirmed that as I had not registered for the 6 month trial, my account had never been activated and I was eligable for the 3 year offer. I am not sure what the situation would be for those who already pay for BMW Assist or are on the 6 month trial.

I downloaded the form from here:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/images/appform/...nline_LOGO.pdf

It doesn't mention 'connected drive' and the lady I spoke with told me just to tick 'BMW Assist'.

I guess I now wait to hear back from them.

Lots of info in this video:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128402...at_cebit_2006/
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #73
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Apparently they don't need to send the text messages and so on now to active. I faxed through the form last week and hadn't heard anything, so rattled their cage yesterday and was told it was all up and working and a letter about it in the post. Went out to the car and lo and behold it was.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #74
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Apparently they don't need to send the text messages and so on now to active. I faxed through the form last week and hadn't heard anything, so rattled their cage yesterday and was told it was all up and working and a letter about it in the post. Went out to the car and lo and behold it was.
How do you log on without the SMS details ?

There is an option to register on-line here:

https://www.bmw-online-portal.co.uk/...neRegistration

But the lady I spoke to told me to use the faxed form.

EDIT: I've answered my own question. I put my phone number in to register, but the login details it sent don't work because I currently have 'no valid contract'.

I guess that is what they will set up from the fax.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:16 AM   #75
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
I am presuming that that will all be in the post.

The stuff in the car seems to work, downloaded the welcome message whilst blatting up the m'way this morning. But obviously cannot login to the website until I get the login details.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #76
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I just spoke to the BMW connected centre. My form was recieved yesterday and will be actioned today. She was a bit of a 'blonde' and I got the feeling she didnt know what she was talkinig about! She said that they activate the car (no action required from me) and send me through a username/password to log on to the internet site to activate. hopefully it will work when I get home Friday!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #77
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Just got the username and password through via text. Perhaps because I accessed the system this morning?

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #78
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

Got my access sorted today also. tried it out, & boy is it good. I've googled, SMS'd & even tried out their dinky route planning software

Now all I need to do, is go somewhere new...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #79
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
Got my access sorted today also. tried it out, & boy is it good. I've googled, SMS'd & even tried out their dinky route planning software

Now all I need to do, is go somewhere new...
Is that via Online or Assist?? (the SMS)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #80
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
You can send SMS via the website with Assist.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #81
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I faxed the form in Monday and havent yet had my ASSIST activated. Rang them today to find out and they have said that it should be today. Will I get an SMS (with username/password) once it has been done?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #82
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I faxed the form in Monday and havent yet had my ASSIST activated. Rang them today to find out and they have said that it should be today. Will I get an SMS (with username/password) once it has been done?
You should, Pete.

However, in my experience, they just take their time.

To check if it's working, go here, click on the 'Forgotten password' link & enter the mobile number you used in the application.

You should get a 4-digit password, if they've processed your application.

Then try logging in, using your firstname.surname (full stop is important), as entered on the application form. Use the pass which you've just been SMSed.

If everything has been done on their part, you should now have access to the Assist portal!

If not, give them a ring & tell them you've been waiting ages!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #83
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You should, Pete.

However, in my experience, they just take their time.

To check if it's working, go here, click on the 'Forgotten password' link & enter the mobile number you used in the application.

You should get a 4-digit password, if they've processed your application.

Then try logging in, using your firstname.surname (full stop is important), as entered on the application form. Use the pass which you've just been SMSed.

If everything has been done on their part, you should now have access to the Assist portal!

If not, give them a ring & tell them you've been waiting ages!

All the best.

Viv
Thanks Viv, tried all that and no joy. Lazy b******s clearly havent activated it yet!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #84
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Viv, tried all that and no joy. Lazy b******s clearly havent activated it yet!
Give them a call Pete, tell them Viv sent you & say I'm not happy with the way you've been kept waiting unnecessarily! :mad:

Quote a 'Carlism' & see what happens- 'FFS we've got a ****ing UK4 meeting tomorrow, so pull ya ****ing finger out...'

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #85
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Give them a call Pete, tell them Viv sent you & say I'm not happy with the way you've been kept waiting unnecessarily! :mad:

Quote a 'Carlism' & see what happens- 'FFS we've got a ****ing UK4 meeting tomorrow, so pull ya ****ing finger out...'

Viv

I am a graduate of the 'carwhodoyouthinkyoufookinarelos' school of diplomacy. Already called them this morning so I will leave it another 5mins and call again!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #86
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I am a graduate of the 'carwhodoyouthinkyoufookinarelos' school of diplomacy. Already called them this morning so I will leave it another 5mins and call again!
It takes them minutes to set-up the account, so just DO IT, Pete!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 07:22 AM   #87
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It takes them minutes to set-up the account, so just DO IT, Pete!

Viv
I was as tactful as I possible could be. The lady was extremely helpful; they claim that the 'Assist' system is down due to problems with the BT landlines (since yesterday) She has taken my details and will call me when the assist is initialised but no guarantees that this will be today!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:39 AM   #88
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was as tactful as I possible could be. The lady was extremely helpful; they claim that the 'Assist' system is down due to problems with the BT landlines (since yesterday) She has taken my details and will call me when the assist is initialised but no guarantees that this will be today!

Viv

Appreciate 0