E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Bought a Fender Roller - Should I risk using it?

07-19-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Bought a Fender Roller - Should I risk using it?

I didn't really like the way most shops around here pull the fenders so much and distort the body lines when doing a fender roll so I decided to buy a roller and try it myself.

I was thinking if I go super slow and roll it in very small increments I should be able to get a conservative roll with no or minimum pulling of the fender.

I'm a bit concerned and wondering if this job might be better off left to the professionals since if I mess it up there's no turning back haha.

Anyone have expereince with a roller and willing to help? Or does anyone wanna swing by and try their car first and use it on their car first and I'll observe your process?
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

Don't do it.

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

first and foremost do you know what your doing and do you have all the tools??? you cant just roll the fender with the fender roller, you would need a heat gun too and other tools.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Don't do it.
Haha yeah, as soon as I took off the wheel and looked around I lost my confidence, not sure if I'm gonna do it now, but might end up trying it when I'm bored. Hopefully somebody from here can join or help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronushi View Post
first and foremost do you know what your doing and do you have all the tools??? you cant just roll the fender with the fender roller, you would need a heat gun too and other tools.
Yeah, I have everything required to do a roll and then some. I've watched a lot of rolls being done and it's always a bit freaky to watch. I've even assisted a couple rolls, but after looking at my rear quarter panel I don't know if I want to go through with it on my own.

I got some quotes on just cutting the lip on the rear fender and it's about 300-400 bucks so I'm not sure if it's worth that much just to put a spacer on. I definitely don't want to be cutting my own fenders up either.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

I say go for it, but really slowly, dont rush it. Use lots of heat and slight pressure.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

lots of instructional videos on youtube, I say go for it but take it slow bro
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
engotski
oh haiii
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Ill tell you whats scary...

I rolled my rear fenders with the good old rubber mallet! hahaha there is a slight pull tho just enough that you can notice it on a side angle and if you are really looking for it.

Of course used a heat gun and a towel to hold the other side of what Im hammering
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Likewise, I've seen people do it but never attempted it myself. Reduce the increments and increase the perpindicularity as the lip folds. Just watch for any severe bending of the fender with respect to the lip, too much and you'll introduce some wayard form.

+1 on youtube. Just go in small increments. And a hair drier is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Test it out on a family member's car first, if they have an old beater just to gain some confidence...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
PepE92M3
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3

Be careful, you might over do it.

Retired: 12 E82 135i, 11 E88 128i, 05 E46 M3, 07 E92 328i, 07 X3 3.0is, 88 E30 325i, 84 E30 318i
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

Bring it by my place, i will roll my wifes Mazda 3 and show you. its quite easy. I have rolled several fenders before.

Just take your time and its a piece of cake. If you are handy you should not have any issues.

Key is heating the surface so the paint does not crack and applying the correct amount of pressure on the tension arm.

PM me if you want to do it,
Kris

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
adubey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston View Post
Bring it by my place, i will roll my wifes Mazda 3 and show you. its quite easy. I have rolled several fenders before.

Just take your time and its a piece of cake. If you are handy you should not have any issues.

Key is heating the surface so the paint does not crack and applying the correct amount of pressure on the tension arm.

Kris
What a nice guy!

Its stuff like this that makes me love E90post.
      07-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by engotski View Post
Ill tell you whats scary...

I rolled my rear fenders with the good old rubber mallet! hahaha there is a slight pull tho just enough that you can notice it on a side angle and if you are really looking for it.

Of course used a heat gun and a towel to hold the other side of what Im hammering
Yeah I actually was reading a lot about hammering, but it seems like a gut wrenching process haha. I tried it a bit, but I bent the lip about 1mm only and I was like efff this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
Likewise, I've seen people do it but never attempted it myself. Reduce the increments and increase the perpindicularity as the lip folds. Just watch for any severe bending of the fender with respect to the lip, too much and you'll introduce some wayard form.
+1 on youtube. Just go in small increments. And a hair drier is your friend.
See the thing is, it only makes sense that if I'm heating metal up and then applying pressure behind it that it will pull out a bit doesnt it? I was thinking of putting something against the outside of the fender to prevent it from pulling out, but I'm thinking this could introduce more problems and deform the shape even more if it's not done perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Test it out on a family member's car first, if they have an old beater just to gain some confidence...
Everyone's car is worth a lot more then mine lol, mine is the beater If I had another car to try it out on it would have been sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston View Post

Kris
Thanks for the offer man! I will probably take you up on this on a free weekend or something!
Even if I don't end up rolling mine, if you still want to roll your wife's car your more then welcome to borrow the roller. I will PM you in about a weeks time.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #14
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

From experience, no matter how careful you are with this tool, you will deform the lines of the metal. There isn't much to "fold" on the upper portion of the E92 fenders and with the amount of force you need to "roll", the metal will buckle or deform. You might be able to get a mm or two without so much distortion (but it will still be noticeable if you're very anal).

This tool works well for some cars, but on the E92 where you have the flat strip on the fender being constructed with two sheet metals folded together (structurally very strong), it will distort. I wish I hadn't done it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

^concur

I did the hammer thing and rolling thing myself. Its impossible to roll the e92 folded thick lip without deforming the outside. Where the bumper meets the quarter panel will be most pronounced. Most other cars this lip can be rolled pretty dam flat but not for us e92 guys.

If you decide to cut that lip it can split the inner and outer panel (held sealed together with a sealant) with enough rubbing pressure/heat. This has to be pretty excessive rubbing for it to split, mine did due to my setup. But this route can yield at least 4-5mm worth of clearance.

All comes down to "is it worth the hacking for this setup?"

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Dr. G
Major General
Rep

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna3 View Post
From experience, no matter how careful you are with this tool, you will deform the lines of the metal. There isn't much to "fold" on the upper portion of the E92 fenders and with the amount of force you need to "roll", the metal will buckle or deform. You might be able to get a mm or two without so much distortion (but it will still be noticeable if you're very anal).

This tool works well for some cars, but on the E92 where you have the flat strip on the fender being constructed with two sheet metals folded together (structurally very strong), it will distort. I wish I hadn't done it.
This is exactly what I was thinking, pretty much every shop that does it wants you in and out ASAP and they've all had some very noticable pulls done on the fender. This is why I wanted to try it out myself.

I saw this thread and this is one of the cleanest fender rolls I've seen.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=31

Can't even really tell anything was done to it and I was hoping I could get a similar result.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
engotski
oh haiii
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Mannn no matter how hard you roll, e92s will still have a half inch lip inside the panel. Thats why not many guys use e92s for "form"...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Laguna3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N55 E92 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking, pretty much every shop that does it wants you in and out ASAP and they've all had some very noticable pulls done on the fender. This is why I wanted to try it out myself.

I saw this thread and this is one of the cleanest fender rolls I've seen.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=31

Can't even really tell anything was done to it and I was hoping I could get a similar result.
That's pretty good, but the key word is "slight". It's not noticeable on the second pic, but on the first pic it looks like most of the rolling was done on the half section towards the front.

Try it on another car, but you'll realize that when you're applying pressure and the metal doesn't seem to get pushed out, you're not rolling anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
I say go for it, but really slowly, dont rush it. Use lots of heat and slight pressure.
^^this.

oh and don't get too close with the heat gun

rolled fenders on my previous car with an Eastwood fender roller and did it perfectly with no issues
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Darin911
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: First E92 to E90 conversion!

it is super easy if you are patient...my dad rolled a part of my fender with a random tools
      07-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

^what happened with your proper photoshoot with the 295's?

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #22
Darin911
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: First E92 to E90 conversion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
^what happened with your proper photoshoot with the 295's?
pending