E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > iphone 5 specs

09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

iphone 5 specs

Guys,
iphone5 has been shown and going to be available from 21st September.

10 things you need to know about iphone 5.

Worst bit is, dock connector has been changed. So throw your previous snap in adaptors.
      09-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I'm undecided on it so far, my upgrade was due in June and I've waited for the iPhone 5, no stand out features or nothing really new.

Might just plump for a galaxy S3
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Sounds good-will be my next upgrade once the frenzy has subsided!
At least Apple is releasing an adaptor for old connectors.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Bit of a let down I must say, It's not hugely different to a 4s...im sure it'll be a great phone and work superbly but a few cooler features to make it stand out or at least keep up with the crowd wouldn't have gone a-miss! Glad I didn't bother hanging off and got a Galaxy S3.
      09-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
I'm undecided on it so far, my upgrade was due in June and I've waited for the iPhone 5, no stand out features or nothing really new.

Might just plump for a galaxy S3
My brother got S3 and he had to send it back twice. I can't remember what sort of issues he had.
      09-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
Glad I didn't bother hanging off and got a Galaxy S3.
I had S2, and battery time was serious let down.

What sort of stand by time do you get on S3?
      09-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

For me, the overriding consideration is service and support. With my Apple devices I can walk into an Apple store anywhere in the world (within reason) and get full service for my device. With Samnsung products where do you go for help/advice/support and above all repairs? So you drop your S3 and crack the screen, where do you go for help and support? How long will that repair take? Will repair be official (i.e. Samsung?) and above all cost, I'm betting it'll cost a damn sight more than £140 Apple charge to replace entire handset.

I don't fancy loosing my device to the carriers for 'repair' weeks on end when Apple can (in worst case scenarios) swap out my device in 10 minutes at the Genius Bar. No-one else can compete with this level of service and, for me, this is a key reason why Apple products will continue to be my first choice.

Just worth considering when 'praising' the likes to Samsung and their (copy cat) products ;o)
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post
For me, the overriding consideration is service and support. With my Apple devices I can walk into an Apple store anywhere in the world (within reason) and get full service for my device. With Samnsung products where do you go for help/advice/support and above all repairs? So you drop your S3 and crack the screen, where do you go for help and support? How long will that repair take? Will repair be official (i.e. Samsung?) and above all cost, I'm betting it'll cost a damn sight more than £140 Apple charge to replace entire handset.

I don't fancy loosing my device to the carriers for 'repair' weeks on end when Apple can (in worst case scenarios) swap out my device in 10 minutes at the Genius Bar. No-one else can compete with this level of service and, for me, this is a key reason why Apple products will continue to be my first choice.

Just worth considering when 'praising' the likes to Samsung and their (copy cat) products ;o)
Kia offer a 7 year warranty on their cars. Would you buy a Kia ahead of a Porsche?

Apple warranty is great. I used it 4 times in 6 months and had my iphone4 replaced due to failure each time.

Never once in 10mins though. Often I had to make an appointment and go back later that day or another day.

I went down the HTC route and so far been faultless and I've not had to sample their warranty claims.

I've always been given a replacement handset any time before so no real hardship to be honest.

Haven't Apple been found guilty of copying others too? Isn't many of the best features of Apple products not made by Samsung?

This is on the BBC website which is a fair view of the iphone these days. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I had S2, and battery time was serious let down.

What sort of stand by time do you get on S3?
Battery life on the S3 certainly isn't as good as the Iphone 4, but then it's running more powerfull things such as the quad core processor, bigger screen etc...Im not impressed with it in that respect I must say.

I don't know about standby time but I get anything from 10-15/16 hours depending how much I use it through the day, Wifi/Bluetooth/power saving/GPS always switched on. If I didn't use it from charge-flat battery I think it would easily get 24hours

Ihpj - Apples customer service certainly is superb, but it's not enough to swing it for me, a lot of people take out insurance for this reason so almost negates the need to worry about it.

Im happy I've owned both Apple and Samsung products and can make a non-biased opinion on both though without being blinkered by one or the other's, I certainly did rave about Iphones before I got an S3, and while the S3 isn't perfect, IMO It out performs the 4 and by the looks of things the 5 now too in a series of aspects.

Still, I'll wait 'til my mate buys one 'til I make a proper judgment!

Last edited by DavS1; 09-12-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Never once in 10mins though. Often I had to make an appointment and go back later that day or another day.
Well they offer a booking system, no doubt isn't perfect, it is a system that once you have booked, you can attend the appointment and walk out with a working product. Surely appointments are 10MINs but they invariably do run late etc. But the point is, support is there and you can be sure of a resolution within that appointment.

As for Kia/Porsche analogy, not sure that's appropriate as this isnt about the length of warranty; but rather customer service based around product support. Kind of like Lexus vs. BMW would be a more appropriate comparison. But hey, choice is what makes the world interesting
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'm due an upgrade and was waiting to see what it was like. To be honest I wasn't expecting a revolution but I'm even more underwhelmed than I thought I would be.

I've got nothing against Apple products. I've been using Apple computers exclusively for 17 years.

I'll be venturing into the local T-mobile shop to pick up an S3 or 1X tomorrow I think.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Worst bit is, dock connector has been changed. So throw your previous snap in adaptors.
No analogue audio and no video at all on new dock, all airplay, so won't work with 99% of devices.

What a fuck up!!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

We've been using Macs in the family since the 1980's, the first computer I ever used was my dads Mac Plus (still works!!). I think there is definatly something missing without Steve Jobs. Some of the Apples recent launches and the way OSX is been developed reminds me of what Apple was like back in the 1990s, with the horrible clones, bloated OS 7/8/9, and about 10 different product lines which just confused people. At that point Apple nearly went bankrupt and would have done if Jobs hadn't come back and launched the iMac and iPod (I think the share price at that point was $10 compared to $600+ now).

There is alot of "evolutionary" changes with the iPhone but any company can do that, what Apple was able to do under Jobs was come up with risky Revoutionary products that no one else had thought off (ie new applications for existing tech, no just better specs or a bunch of extra features no one uses)....I'll still end up getting an iPhone 5 but lets hope someone at Apple start coming up with some new ideas and Apple doesn't just become another tech company which just focuses on putting better numbers on the spec sheet year on year

Last edited by gangzoom; 09-12-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
There is alot of "evolutionary" changes with the iPhone but any company can do that, what Apple was able to do under Jobs was come up with risky Revoutionary products that no one else had thought off (ie new applications for existing tech, no just better specs or a bunch of extra features no one uses)....I'll still end up getting an iPhone 5 but lets hope someone at Apple start coming up with some new ideas and Apple doesn't just become another tech company which just focuses on putting better numbers on the spec sheet year on year
Quite agree, I think there is a real danger of history repeating itself and with no saviour in sight, this could prove singularly calamitous for Apple as a company. Given their recent track record, you can forgive some unusual decisions - but you are right, there doesn't appear to be the same level of zeal in delivering the next thing, instead They appear to be focussing on delivering incremental and evolutionary changes only.

I mean, this company appointed that idiot from Dixons as head of their retail operations?! I mean WTF? When you start to string together a few of their recent 'misses' it does start to raise jitters in myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Reading above regarding the battery life of the s3 not bieng as good as iPhone 4...

I've had my s3 a while now, my battery wallops the iPhone 4 it replaces.

The s3 is better than the iPhone 4 for sure.

As for customer service, if I have a problem it goes back to orange, they supplied it, they honour the guarantee. If I break it, I have a new one within 24 hrs.

If Apple bring out a phone that's better at my renewal time then I'll switch back to Apple for a while. It does make me laugh at the brand whores that put Apple on such a high pedestal and rubbish everything else, to the point about Samsung copying their stuff (bullshit, may as well say that their pc o/s was a tweaked windows copy then).

Apple make extremely high quality, high performance tech. I can't fault build quality, but they certainly aren't the be all and end all.

My 2p

*edit* I just looked at the specs, and once again the 'new' phone just isn't new enough to go "wow, I have to have that". Apple need to up their game.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
No analogue audio and no video at all on new dock, all airplay, so won't work with 99% of devices.

What a fuck up!!
Everyone seems to be waiting on an apapter to come to allow them to use old docking stations etc.

Is this possible or will it not be any use for using in the car too?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Still waiting for conclusive info regarding LTE support on networks other than EE

It's all very grey, even EE said they won't be supplying 4g outside of contract.

I normally buy sim free and use sim only tariffs.

Plus 4g probably won't be widespread until the end of 2013 maybe 2014.

LTE aside it's a very nice phone which I will probably end up buying. No rush as 4s and ios6 will be fine
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #18
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Think samsung must be laughing at this upgrade....Apple bring out a phone 6 months after they release theirs - with a lower spec!!

All today has done is bump S3 sales as those who were waiting on the 5 (like me) just case it was revolutionary.

Think ill just keep me 3gs and wait for IOS6 on the 19th - on my £10 tariff
      09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

That's a major shortcoming if it uses a different adaptor.

Normal people, ie not Apple fanbois, like to have new stuff that works with existing old stuff. If I need to start changing old stuff because the new phone is not compatible, then I'm just as likely to change the phone.... to a Samsung.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #20
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Everyone seems to be waiting on an apapter to come to allow them to use old docking stations etc.

Is this possible or will it not be any use for using in the car too?
It's already on sale...at... Wait for it... £25 fooking quid!!!

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD...apter#overview

It should work fine in the car (if you don't have a USB connector). But being an inch tall I foresee a lot of docking stations with a tall floppy iPhone perched on top.

Even after these flaws, I still see myself getting one. Partially due to it working with my iPad and allowing me to tether the Internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintstream View Post

It should work fine in the car (if you don't have a USB connector). But being an inch tall I foresee a lot of docking stations with a tall floppy iPhone perched on top.

That was my point, it will not work fine in the car, or 99% of docks anymore because...

"This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported.

There is no analogue out, so only those few systems that can read the iPhone as a drive or take a digital signal will work.
In fact we don't know if digital audio out is even on there.

Well done Apple!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #22
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Was working with a guy who had an S3 and it made my iPhone4 look utter junk! The thing loaded web pages in 1/4 the time.

I will have to use them side-by-side and compare the speed but I have a feeling my next phone will be an S3.

Also gotta laugh at the pricetag of the 64GB model! I had to settle for the 32GB iP4 and have been waiting a while for a 64GB model but at that price I think I'll give it a miss.
Appreciate 0