E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 iDrive Pro Unit Repair

08-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
pn247
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 3.0d 2015

E90 iDrive Pro Unit Repair

Hi all,

I have a dying iDrive unit that pauses and locks up far too often and I need to do something about it.

I have a local BMW service garage near me (non-main dealer) who do a good job servicing the car, but the last time I had some more system-based issues they weren't great and it cost me a HUGE amount.

Am I best off dropping into them and trying to get them to do a fixed-cost repair / replacement (long shot) or should I send it away to one of the repair shops I see on Google?

It looks like I can pull out my iDrive unit and send it away to them to get repaired for £450, or replaced for £550 if non-repairable.

Alternatively, does anyone know any decent iDrive repair places that can beat that cost?

Just wanted some thoughts from someone who knew the lay-of-the-land on this one or had been through the same thing.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
miloka
Germany
Rep
Drives: 530i

IMHO i would not let it be repaired but replace it with a used working unit.
You get those for far less money than the repair costs mentioned.
The experience here in germany with repair of CCC idrive head units is that it costs much and the head unit dies in the end anyway.even if you replace the broken part you are never able to say what parts have been influenced negatively as well.
My advice: buy a used unit in full working order and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

You'll get a replacement unit from BMW for around £659+VAT(2 year warranty too)and when you look at that cost v the used market/eBay then you have to wonder which basket you'd rather place your eggs in.

There are in certain cases as the units split in to sections repair unit available for each section(depends in the unit you have)
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E9...gle_parts_ccc/ downside of course is has other damage also been done elsewhere?

The other option of course is use the money you'd spend on replacing like for like to upgrade to a more up to date CIC unit, sometimes failures like this prompt you to seriously upgrade what you've got... but it's an individual choice isn't it.

One thing I'd say is that we are seeing a fair few CCC Unit failures on 3 and 5 series cars all in the 2004/06 era so it's not unknown as the symptoms are as you've described. Also if you do go fir a BMW replacement ensure your Sat Nav disc is out otherwise on the exchange you'll not see the DVD/CD again as all the units go back to Germany and it seems no matter what the dealership selling the part requests you'll be lucky to see the disc back again. At at a recommended £200+VAT for a genuine disc it's something you'd fund hard to stomach, mind you www.bmwnavigation.co.uk/ offer a very reasonable alternative which I have in my car. Under £35 speed cameras 7 digit post codes the lot