E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 "Hifi" Stereo Upgrade. (what is the first port of call?)

09-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Indeed but you can have a high output SQ system.

My last E90 had an Alpine driven Phoenix Gold Titanium amped setup.. 2 sets of JL XR650 components and a sealed 10W7 in a custom made box. Tweeters firing across the dash, line drivers at the head unit end, nakamichi RCA cabling down one side of the car 0 gague JL power down the other.

It sounded very very good and was also loud as f00k

I miss that system

Dave
Of course. In an ideal world we would all get a system like that!

Makkan - I guess it depends on how loud you listen to your music. I would go for the 2nd system due to the ms-8 and morels. I cant imagine listening to anything other than a system with a processor. I've really grown to love the staging and sound quality. Mine still gets plenty loud for me, it gives me headaches sometimes. As MEGA says if i wanted it louder i can, just by upgrading my amp. At the moment the Morels and Jehnerts are getting 75w. This is more than enough for me. If i wanted to go louder i could give them all 150w.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

I would recommend the Audio Systems X-ION 200 3 ways (now rebranded under the Gladen Audio name) along with a 6 channel amp then Hi-Fi coding. Sound is smooth, clean and bass is more than enough. If you really want to step it up then add a sub, for saloons/couples Infinite baffle comes recommended for the ultimate in uncoloured sound and rich sub bass. Not a fan of sealed enclosures as acoustically the cars the enemy when trying to getting maximum SQ waves into the cab. If your going for loud then a proper enclosure is the way forward, sealed, ported or a bandpass.

Processors, thats another subject. I'm not the biggest fan of time alignment as it comes at a cost of tonality though there's some tricks around this if you know how

Everyone has there opinion here, but my advise is go out there and listen to a few setups, get a reference to establish how far you want to go and what works for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Some great advice on here. MrSingh is right, the only way you're going to know what you want is by trying a few out. As you can tell there is not a "one fits all" solution. Thats the beauty of music!
Appreciate 0