E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > I don't want to look like a dummy at the track...

08-20-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

I don't want to look like a dummy at the track...

So, I'm planning my first trip to the track to run a 1/4 in my 335. In fact, this is my first time going to any track, in any car, ever. My car is (about to become) an FBO E92 335i with 6AT.

Like I said in the thread title, I don't want to look like a moron at the track, but I've never done this before. Do I just kinda.... wait for the light to turn green and mash the gas pedal? It's an automatic after all. If there are any obvious first timer mistakes, I'd like to avoid them if possible. I'm not sure how many runs they'll let me do and I'd like to get a semi-accurate idea of the car's performance potential.

If there's some big "tracking for noobs" post please feel free to yell at me and post it. I looked around but I didn't see one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

First off - Good-luck! You're going to love it. Hopefully you'll move to roadcoarses eventually, but drag racing is a ton of fun too.

If you're not running slicks - drive AROUND the water box. Do not get your tires wet because you'll lose traction even if you do a burnout.

Second, for the tree - do NOT wait till you see the green to go. The person in the other lane with be about 5 car lengths down the track by the time you react. Watch the yellows and go on the last yellow. By the time you react and the car moves, the light will be green. If you redlight once or twice, no big deal, this isn't professional and you're not losing any money.

As for launching the car - hopefully someone else can chime in. I'm not sure if doing a dry burnout and brake standing your cars is an advantage or not. I'm sure you still have an open differential, so one tire is only getting traction. I'm sure you'll at least want to turn off your traction control.

Have fun and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

It's a lot of fun! Check a couple of my vids up here somewhere in a thread I made named Cecil county drag way.

Def. go on the second yellow, they go so fast that it won't matter if you hit it.

Brake boost! Hold your left foot on the brake and hit the gas as soon as the lights start. Let go of the brake on the second yellow. Rpms around 2.5k

Make sure your traction control is all the way off! Turn your AC off! You may also need a helmet.

Have fun! The best time I found was wednesdays and Saturdays as most time the track is empty. Friday nights are prolly the worst.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
afb683
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I would highly recommend watching some drag staging videos. You can find them all over the net. You'll get a feel for the timing of everything. It all goes really fast but the more you do it the better you get! Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
qhb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i - 2005 CLK500

Bring a good tire pressure gauge and pump with you. It's important to adjust the tire pressure.
Appreciate 0