E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb versus Procede Review

02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #89
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Makes much more sense now.

I need to go get dyno'd again with these new maps.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #90
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by werke-t View Post
The facts seem to be at this point if you want a FLASH tune go with cobb

but if you want BIG POWER or any sort of user adjust-ability, meth, nitrous, launch control, ect.. you go with procede its a more advanced tune and has many more features compared to every competitor...

and if you just are on a budget go with jb4

Yeah JB4 is just for guys on a budget
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #91
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by werke-t View Post
The facts seem to be at this point if you want a FLASH tune go with cobb

but if you want BIG POWER or any sort of user adjust-ability, meth, nitrous, launch control, ect.. you go with procede its a more advanced tune and has many more features compared to every competitor...

and if you just are on a budget go with jb4
Funny. The JB4 has many features no other tune has. Not to mention it holds all the stock turbo records on N54 and N55 motors. And for you big twin and single turbo guys don't worry BMS is working on a JB4 board with a few tweaks just for you guys.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #92
chirp-1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrivePorsche 911 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Funny. The JB4 has many features no other tune has. Not to mention it holds all the stock turbo records on N54 and N55 motors. And for you big twin and single turbo guys don't worry BMS is working on a JB4 board with a few tweaks just for you guys.

Mike
Not to mention, unmatched customer service.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #93
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirps View Post
Not to mention, unmatched customer service.
+1

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:24 AM   #94
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Josh, thanks for the review. I happen to have both tunes myself (two different N54 cars). I have the Procede installed on the car I occasionally track, but would really love to have the functionality of the Cobb maps where I can switch to the linear maps for tracking, and stock maps for city driving.

Is it possible to get that same driving feel out of the Procede, so I can have the linear throttle feel for tracking days? How?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #95
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin
Josh, thanks for the review. I happen to have both tunes myself (two different N54 cars). I have the Procede installed on the car I occasionally track, but would really love to have the functionality of the Cobb maps where I can switch to the linear maps for tracking, and stock maps for city driving.

Is it possible to get that same driving feel out of the Procede, so I can have the linear throttle feel for tracking days? How?
Hi-- the Procede is based upon linear boost set point control. But what we do is define the two applied throttle points to represent 0psi and max psi (whatever the WOT boost target is at that RPm). On top of that, we also have a correction that adjusts this max/min throttle relationship between two RPM points (2000rpm and 5000rpm) and linearizing in between. This allows you to make the 0psi boost throttle value change as a function of rpm, making high rpm throttle boost sensitive less responsive than low rom boost sensitive. This would be to compensate for the natural nonlinearity of boost response at different engine speeds. So at no point can we make the boost response nonlinear (ie, provide full boost at say, 60%). Is that what u are trying to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #96
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
that is contradictory to the 21psi midrange themyst has reported..... Perhaps the 'current' maps do not...but in the past (in December) they did.

The question still remains: Why choose high boost/low timing vs. normal boot/normal timing? (For reference, I view normal boost anywhere from 15-17, pump-only, depending on mods)
You might want to review our PM exchange again. I never stated that I peaked 21 psi on the OTS stage 2 maps. I was describing an alpha race map that only 3 people even have. I'm not certain if this is an attempt at trolling or if you were truly misinformed.

PS- 21 psi at 3000 RPM is quite different from 21 psi at 6500. Might want to look at the TD03 compressor map. The stock turbos are on the map at that boost level down low. Have no idea why so many people can't grasp this concept.

And to answer your question, timing hurts motors, boost does not. If you can run low boost and high timing vs high boost with less timing, I would tune with the safer approach, rather than risk detonation from poor gas, meth failure, etc. the same reasons many of us ridiculed the JB3 in yesteryear until they came out with a CPS module. I wish the piggybacks allowed logging ignition advance/corrections in all six cylinders. It's eye-popping to say the least.
      02-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #97
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
Ben is running my custom mapping.

Cheers,
Rob
I'm Rob's favorite guinea pig.
      02-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #98
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
No offended Mike, but you forgot to mention how the jb4 takes all the innovations the procede has and blatantly copies it.

Canbus
Auto tuning
indash gauges
command center
on the fly map changes
CPS offest
"Aggressive" maps with increased midrange boost

Jb4 really owes everything to the procede, so its no surprise its cheaper. Bms' development and research involves studying the procede. If Vishnu copied another company for its entire product, their price would be lower, as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #99
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
No offended Mike, but you forgot to mention how the jb4 takes all the innovations the procede has and blatantly copies it.

Canbus
Auto tuning
indash gauges
command center
on the fly map changes
CPS offest
"Aggressive" maps with increased midrange boost

Jb4 really owes everything to the procede, so its no surprise its cheaper. Bms' development and research involves studying the procede. If Vishnu copied another company for its entire product, their price would be lower, as well.
Sir we call you a fanboy. Please don't post garbage in this thread.

No tune War.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #100
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
^im currently running cobb, not a fanboi. Look into it a little if you don't believe me, its not garbage. Just facts.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #101
DXL007
Just enjoying the ride!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

OK I had to grab the pop corn
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #102
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
Sir we call you a fanboy. Please don't post garbage in this thread.

No tune War.
By the way, this thread is comparing procede and cobb. Jb4 vendors, uninformed jb4 customers, and anyone not interested in cobb vs. procede driving dynamics are the ones posting garbage in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #103
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
By the way, this thread is comparing procede and cobb. Jb4 vendors, uninformed jb4 customers, and anyone not interested in cobb vs. procede driving dynamics are the ones posting garbage in this thread.
You're right, so why bring JB4 garbage into it?

I respect you as a forum member but its BS that people do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #104
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
Makes much more sense now.

I need to go get dyno'd again with these new maps.
Brey, what was your last dyno and mods at?

I still need to do that... I think I would like to know now.

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #105
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

After running the procede for four years I was getting tired of pulling off all the covers, screws, clips fiddling with numerous connectors, cables, pins and electrical tape every time I brought my car in for oil changes and services, I was more than overjoyed when I tried the Cobb.

You literally just plug it in to the OBD connector and follow the on screen instructions. Like two or three clicks go get a coffee and watch it finish. You really appreciate the difference with ease of the Cobb install. The Cobb unit is easy to use and self explanatory, you can easily look at sensors etc, and easily take datalogs. Cobb did a great job.

I do miss my procede boost gauge but I can just plug in my Cobb unit to see that when I want.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #106
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
After running the procede for four years I was getting tired of pulling off all the covers, screws, clips fiddling with numerous connectors, cables, pins and electrical tape every time I brought my car in for oil changes and services, I was more than overjoyed when I tried the Cobb.

You literally just plug it in to the OBD connector and follow the on screen instructions. Like two or three clicks go get a coffee and watch it finish. You really appreciate the difference with ease of the Cobb install. The Cobb unit is easy to use and self explanatory, you can easily look at sensors etc, and easily take datalogs. Cobb did a great job.

I do miss my procede boost gauge but I can just plug in my Cobb unit to see that when I want.
I can appreciate the difference in ease of installation, but most people with tunes have other mods. If you have even a DCI setup, you will most often have to take it off if getting service. The difference in taking off DCI's and removing a piggy is about 5-10 minutes.

But you are right, everyone has to balance out their priorities when choosing tunes. I do all of my own maintenance, so I never have to take my tune out. When I was getting free maint, I would have to remove my tune about 2 times a year. I would prefer if I never had to remove it, but it was wasn't a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #107
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

Glowin, try the global throttle adjustment in procede... I have always run it at 100%, but dropping this a little may allow more throttle until boost kicks in. Not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #108
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

I recall the old Procede "DIC" maps being extremely boost happy to the point it was annoying. I simply turned down the boost gain and it improved things.
      02-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #109
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
You're right, so why bring JB4 garbage into it?

I respect you as a forum member but its BS that people do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #110
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Let's see.....the choice between Cobb and PROcede is like:
  • choosing between chocolate and vanilla = more timing less boost or more boost less timing,
  • if you want your chocolate or vanilla to be cake or ice cream = direct or indirect control of the DME,
  • and which one is less messy = more convenient, less technical to install/uninstall
Appreciate 0