E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > For those of you with a private registration

04-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

For those of you with a private registration

May sound like a silly questions, but I thought I'd ask it anyway

The missus bought me a private plate for my upcoming Birthday and I've got the plates made up and intend to fit shortly.

I'll of course notify my insurance company and pay the appropriate admin fees (robbing bar stewards)

But what happens about my BMW warranty? Do I need to inform them and what about future servicing?... Would you get invoices made out in the original registration or the new? I'm inclined to say the original registration, as I won't be selling the new plate on with the car and there's a chance (when I come to sell) I may get the original plate back anyway.

Would welcome your opinions!

Cheers,

Charlie
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

I'd imagine the warranty would go with the VIN plate
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
P 5UML
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

hey mate,

congrats on the private plate! they make the world of difference!
ok so as you mentioned you are changing your plates, if she bought it for you within the last 12 months and from DVLA then it should already include the £80 transfer fee! so putting it on the car should not cost you anything!

once the details have changed with the DVLA (as you will need to go to their offices or post the documents, they will give you a new tax disk and a new V5C)
your car will be recognised under the new plates, but this is sometimes dependant on which BMW dealerships as most of the time they recognise the new plate and sometimes not

Warrantee definitely tell them as they may need to change the details on their side, just in case! its worth telling them! the records will be under the private plate but it will all check out when a history on the car is done (if the new buyer of your car wants to check its history) it will show when the plates were put on and taken off

hope that helps
      04-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Squintstream
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by P 5UML View Post
hey mate,

congrats on the private plate! they make the world of difference!
ok so as you mentioned you are changing your plates, if she bought it for you within the last 12 months and from DVLA then it should already include the £80 transfer fee! so putting it on the car should not cost you anything!

once the details have changed with the DVLA (as you will need to go to their offices or post the documents, they will give you a new tax disk and a new V5C)
your car will be recognised under the new plates, but this is sometimes dependant on which BMW dealerships as most of the time they recognise the new plate and sometimes not

Warrantee definitely tell them as they may need to change the details on their side, just in case! its worth telling them! the records will be under the private plate but it will all check out when a history on the car is done (if the new buyer of your car wants to check its history) it will show when the plates were put on and taken off

hope that helps
Thanks both

Yes, it was purchased from the DVLA, so all fees are covered. However A-Plan (Groupama) want an admin fee for the trouble

OK, will see what the dealer does next time I take it in. As you say; they may or may not recognise the plate.

I'll definitely give BMW warranty a call on Monday and advise the on the change.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Simply have your BMW dealer change your registration number on their computer system. This is what I did and thereafter any letters from BMW or the dealer reflected the changed registration number. I suspect it is a very common thing for BMW owners so their systems can handle it.

My insurance company didn't charge me anything for noting the change in registration.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
bungleaio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pug 208

Contgratulations on the plate.

I have just joined the BMW world and as part of the purchase they transfered the plate onto the car for me.

I've spoken to a few dealers trying to source some parts and none of them have got a clue when I given them my reg. I just give them the last 7 digits of the vin and they pull everything up no worries.

I wouldn't worry too much about the invoices I think they have the Vin number on anyway.

When the time comes for you to transfer the plate off as you are selling the car the original one thats on now will definitely go back on so keep your original plates to save you getting some more made up.

A bit of advice for the future, if you are going to sell your car privately transfer the plate off before advertising it so that it doesn't delay the sale of the car. if you sell the car with your reg on with the understanding that the new owner will transfer it off you need a lot of trust in the buyer.

Once you apply the reg to your car you don't have any entitlement to it. The reg belongs to the car. As the registered keeper you will be able to transfer it off onto retention so that you own it again.

It all sounds complicated but it's not too bad really.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Been through the Insurance company charging for a change, although managed this last time with Admiral as the renewal was just before the plate change on the OH's car (she was selling it, so it was back to a dated plate). Expecting a £18 change fee from Admiral when she gets the new car (+ a £32 premium increase, going from an 85bhp car to a 180bhp car!!)

The BMW system will register your new reg when you take it in. No concerns with warranty as it will go on the VIN. When you take your car in, they will read the key, and take the VIN from there. BMW systems vary - I've had them register my new plate quickly, then another BMW dealer will contact me about a car (BMW) that was wearing that same plate 2 cars previously - and after at least one of them had been in to that dealer - I've had the plate since 1998 on a few cars! The OH's plate has been hers since 1992! Yes, we are old.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Its all on the vin.

Mines never been to BMW for any servicing at all since new, never told them about the reg change, but they still did several warranty fixes without any questions on reg plate or service history.

You never get any paperwork for warranty work anyway, i've always asked for it but been refused, even on my previous E90 with BMW history.

Don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

they do use the reg plate as well but VIN is the key. Does get confusing at first when you change to a new BMW and keep the plate as I did at first anyway
      04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

2 weeks after I got my plate on I got stopped by the police as their ANPR didn't recognise my plate. It takes a while for it all to register through the dvla systems etc. Now if I type in my reg on say eurocarparts my car comes up. The funny thing is some BMW dealers can use my private plate but some I have to give them the original reg.
Appreciate 0