E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cool anti-Redlight Camera invention

11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

With stop sign cams, a 3rd behavior is going to change with respect to driving. Technology has come way down in price. There's no excuse for, "Sorry your car got broken in, we don't have security cams here."

In our grandpas time, there was no such thing as having a HD 1080p recorder that fit in your front pocket. He told me they taped mirrors to their shoes--try doing that today.

imho the risk v. reward is such that it doesn't pay to speed in MD or DC. The behavior has changed. It's BS for people to say that the behavior is the same. You could get $1200 in fines just driving 10 miles if you don't change your behavior. With mobile speed cams going up in random places, does it pay to speed? If you like paying fines. If not, you follow the law, and life goes on.

To mount a flashing device on your license plate would make me question your ethics. Put that on your resume and linkedin profile, and see if I'll hire you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
With stop sign cams, a 3rd behavior is going to change with respect to driving. Technology has come way down in price. There's no excuse for, "Sorry your car got broken in, we don't have security cams here."

In our grandpas time, there was no such thing as having a HD 1080p recorder that fit in your front pocket. He told me they taped mirrors to their shoes--try doing that today.

imho the risk v. reward is such that it doesn't pay to speed in MD or DC. The behavior has changed. It's BS for people to say that the behavior is the same. You could get $1200 in fines just driving 10 miles if you don't change your behavior. With mobile speed cams going up in random places, does it pay to speed? If you like paying fines. If not, you follow the law, and life goes on.

To mount a flashing device on your license plate would make me question your ethics. Put that on your resume and linkedin profile, and see if I'll hire you.
How about if I use antireflective spray?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

The 23rd of Nov makes 11 months with no plate for me. No plate= no tickets
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
No plates on both front AND back?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassfajita View Post
How about don't run the red light in the first place?
      11-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
No plates on both front AND back?
Thats correct. My only guess is cops think my car is brand new
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #29
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Haha on December 23rd you become a legend! hope your luck doesn't run out anytime soon.

Last edited by bmwforme; 11-20-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
Haha on December 23rd you become a legend! hope your luck doesn't run out anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
nydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
In Illinois I've noticed they are reducing the yellow light cycle. One intersection, with a red light camera, the yellow was two seconds! Studies have shown red light cameras cause more accidents and they are just a revenue stream for the local municipality. Dont ask for evidence...Google it yourself. My old college friend is a State Rep and has been fighting these damn red light cameras for a few years.
+2
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Thats correct. My only guess is cops think my car is brand new
LOL that's so funny Sara....

The real "get out of jail" card is the FOP or "know someone."

My ex-coworker had a FOP license plate on her CR-V. When she got stopped it basically went, "What's up with the license plate?"

"My boyfriend is a detective."

"Ok, be careful."

And she was on her way.

I don't like tix and I don't like to call in favors, but I do know two detectives and two troopers, and I suppose, if I got caught for 155 in a 55 like I did at age 19, I'd ask for a favor (because the penalty is severe). If I did get a red light ticket, I'd pay it. If I got a moving violation, I'd be bummed....I'd probably go to court and simply ask for it to be reduced. That's what happened in 2009--55 in a 25, they dropped it to a parking violation.

To each his own!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #33
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
How about if I use antireflective spray?
As long as it evaporated before the interview, you're hired!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #34
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
LOL that's so funny Sara....

The real "get out of jail" card is the FOP or "know someone."

My ex-coworker had a FOP license plate on her CR-V. When she got stopped it basically went, "What's up with the license plate?"

"My boyfriend is a detective."

"Ok, be careful."

And she was on her way.

I don't like tix and I don't like to call in favors, but I do know two detectives and two troopers, and I suppose, if I got caught for 155 in a 55 like I did at age 19, I'd ask for a favor (because the penalty is severe). If I did get a red light ticket, I'd pay it. If I got a moving violation, I'd be bummed....I'd probably go to court and simply ask for it to be reduced. That's what happened in 2009--55 in a 25, they dropped it to a parking violation.

To each his own!
Ive only been pulled over twice for no plate. Each time was in the same area where cops really have nothing better to do. No ticket either time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
Like me? Why do you think we need this then, if people would just do as required when the light turns yellow then there would be no need for red light cameras. Blame all you want, but its true. As people pack the intersection because its yellow they are all in the wrong and you know it. Its called safe driving and like speed cameras, they are a tool to deter people from doing so. As most of my family is LEO anything they put in place that creates safer drivers does not bother me in the least. Ive seen many situations where people minding their own business hit by someone not paying attention or trying to save 60 seconds for a light. Dont give me crap about it not saving lives unless your ready to start dragging out some stats. They work regardless of reason they do work. They create a ton of revenue as well for the businesses involved becuase people do not want to stop. As for them giving anyone a ticket regardless of circumstance that is not true at least here in Florida you get a video, as well the timing the light was yellow or red. If you were stuck in the intersection it will show in the video and your clear of charge.
Do you actually have RLCs where you live? In most places the yellow intervals are too short, before the cameras went up people would just "run" the red (e.g. they might enter the intersection 0.2 seconds after the light went red, no harm no foul.) Now that the RLCs are up they have a choice between panic braking for a yellow light and possibly getting rear-ended by the inattentive "motorist" behind them or getting a fine. That's not a fair choice IMHO; a driver proceeding at a legal, reasonable speed shouldn't have to make a choice between panic braking and paying money. Set the system up so that it's fair and then I will agree with your point.

DAGS for "dilemma zone" if you want a more in depth explanation of what I'm talking about.

For an example of the way RLCs should be regulated, look at VA's RLC laws. As opposed to DC or Maryland, VA actually doesn't seem to be actively anti-motorist and they are making the attempt to make their RLCs only catch the truly inattentive or uncaring motorists.

Oh, and if you're "stuck in the intersection" shouldn't you get a "blocking the box" ticket? I don't have a whole lot of respect for those clowns either. Don't enter an intersection unless you can clear it. (NB: I've actually found myself in that situation, but only rarely, and because of someone else doing something wrong. e.g. I'm approaching an intersection with exactly one clear space on the other side in my lane, another driver passes me in the other lane, changes lanes in front of me in the middle of the intersection, and takes my space on the other side. Damn I wish a cop would have seen that, although he probably wouldn't have done anything anyway. Seems to be the only way you can get a ticket from a live cop is for speeding and/or an equipment or log inspection failure if you drive a big truck, pretty much anything else goes - I've actually been run onto the shoulder before in front of a VA state trooper, he was too busy talking to the trucker he'd pulled over to care.)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #36
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Why not just use the spray? A ten spot and you're done!

Mythbusters did a show that showed the can of reflective spray was worthless and almost every other known Redlight defeating camera option that was on the market.... (it's new to market)

This is intriguing as it in layman terms appears to work just like a laser radar detector blinder.... if a laser can be blocked why not a slower photo.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

As for all those that say why not cross into the intersection or slow down..... It's been widely shown how in accurate the camera devices are unfortunately many areas have rigged the court system to not allow a credible way to mount a defense up to and including making it overly costly.

There is also a huge list of sources showing how unsafe the cameras are and the more accidents that are caused.

If it's truly an issue adding a few seconds to the yellow or between light directions changing has shown to be a no cost way to drastically reduce the problems without burdening drivers and increasing accidents.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #38
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride
Quote:
Why not just use the spray? A ten spot and you're done!

Mythbusters did a show that showed the can of reflective spray was worthless and almost every other known Redlight defeating camera option that was on the market.... (it's new to market)

This is intriguing as it in layman terms appears to work just like a laser radar detector blinder.... if a laser can be blocked why not a slower photo.

Interesting. I actually have the can of spray, but never used it. Now I never shall
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #39
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep

So in my local town there is a very funny story which I will try to keep short. About one hundred or so people where ticketed over a few days and finally one person came forward. His defense was this:

The city did road work taking down the 35 mile hour signs years ago he was ticketed for going over 25.

The road was the dividing line between cities the photo van was on the wrong side and out of city limits jurisdiction.

The judge still found him guilty as the photo was of him and the police officer testified he was going over the speed...like all the others that appeared on the same ticket for same stretch.

The guy lawyered up. Got smart and took his beef to the city council.

City council ordered judge to follow the law and jurisdiction. As he by any measure wasn't guilty

Judge refused.

City council ended up having to fire Judge.

New judge had to be hired to rescind ALL the tickets.

So this guy with multiple laws on his side and even city council was found guilty in a court of law had his insurance rates raised.... until the city actually took the unprecedented of overruling a judge and actually firing him.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #40
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Even if it did work (which I highly doubt), you are still screwed in the daytime when flash doesn't really matter and is most likely undetectable. Most likely the tag will just act up when somebody flashes high beams at you or when a cop is pulling you over.

Other than not running red lights or not having license plates, the only other guaranteed method is one that completely blacks out your plate electronically with the press of a button.

http://jalopnik.com/5397918/tricplat...-speed-cameras

Things such as TricPlate or Stealth Plate... now those are the real deal, not that spray crap.

Of course, as the disclaimers say, these are only to be used at car shows to protect your privacy....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #41
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Things such as TricPlate or Stealth Plate... now those are the real deal, not that spray crap.
Nice! too bad plate covers are illegal in Illinois.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0