E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2008 335i i-drive and IPOD retrofit

05-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
20vturbo
Private
Rep
Drives: Gti

2008 335i i-drive and IPOD retrofit

I recently purchased a 2008 335i with nav. As a condition of buying the car the dealership said they would install the BMW retrofit kit. I picked up the car and they set the ipod playing. We left and started the drive back from florida to texas. Mid-way through when we were getting to the radio part of the drive we started trying to use the ipod thru the idrive system. Well the only thing I can do is scroll through the alphabetic list of 2000 songs. There is no way to get to the "artist", "podcast", or any other sub menus. I took it to a dealership here in texas and they said there is absolutely no way to integrate my ipod with IDrive b/c my car did not come factory installed with the 6NF option.

My question is I could swear I've seen retrofits on cars earlier than 2009...did they all have 6NF installed?
Are they correct that BMW offers no way to connect the IPOD to the idrive system?
Does anyone make a way to connect the IPOD to the idrive system?

TIA!

EDIT: here is the video of what it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
20vturbo
Private
Rep

So I am going to assume that the dealer was right. I took it to another dealership and although they didn't say the same thing their 'fix' was to program the 'podcast', 'artist', and other categories under CD1, CD2, etc. as if its a CD changer.

Well I got my car back yesterday and it never could load the lists (I assume too many songs since it just sits at loading) and when it does start working its going to be alphabetical order instead of track #.

Anyone have any ideas to actually get this to work like an IPOD should?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
6NF have nothing to do with iPod.
Most probably they've installed basic iPod kit, but you need 6FL option to have playlists, artists and so on on your iDrive screen.
      06-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
wolf323
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Titanium Silver 335i

I have the same setup in my '07 335i... you just have to wait for the list to load under the artist and album categories (it takes forever... about 5 minutes for my 8gb iphone)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
20vturbo
Private
Rep

I can't believe BMW isnt going to make something to actually make the ipod work correctly.
Appreciate 0