E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > best product for new leather smell

05-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

best product for new leather smell

i want to clean my leather and get that new car smell. is this the best product to use?

Griot's Garage 11259 Leather Care Spray Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

PB Leather Stuff smells great without being overpowering. I've also heard good things about Zaino Z-10, but haven't tried it personally.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
tomtom11
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

thank you. any one else agree? or disagree?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #4
L3O710
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
thank you. any one else agree? or disagree?
never tried them my self but ive heard good things about:
http://www.eshine.ca/chemical_guys_s...r_16oz-843.php
and
http://www.eshine.ca/chemical_guys_s..._128oz-834.php

i was planning on getting atleast one of them my self but they were sold out when i made my orders!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
qclik
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e92

i personally think zaino smells nothing like leather, but it depends on how is your memory about the flavor of leather smell, some of my friend said the car smells like new and some said strange smell after zaino. but besides smell, it does a great job bring back shine and soft to the leather

Last edited by qclik; 05-09-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

The chemical guys leather scent is very good, as is the griots garage leather scent. Both are similar and last about the same amount of time. They aren't like new car leather smells but both are pleasant and refined.

Zaino Z9 and Z10 also leave a good scent but it's a "soft" leather smell if that makes any sense. Not like a saddle or new couch or anything. For a smell somewhat like this I'd recommend Leatherique products.

None of these is close to a new BMW smell which I assume is what you want. For that I'd actually suggest the BMW brand leather lotion. A word of caution, this product will make your car smell like ASS for a day or two after application but after that the car will smell about as close to a new BMW as the market provides.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #7
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

never tried that product. I'm more interested in the care and protection versus the smell. I've tried several products and Wolfgangs Leather care works the best for me.
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-leather-combo.html

It cleans the leather, conditions it, and the seats are not slick like ice when i go to sit in the car after applying the product.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #8
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

[A word of caution, this product will make your car smell like ASS for a day or two after application but after that the car will smell about as close to a new BMW as the market provides.]

ASS, yes that’s the fragrant smell I was looking for :0

If you've ever spent any time in a leather tannery you would get to hate the smell of leather.

Leather Aroma - as it turns out, what most of us think of as that "leather smell" is not really the leather itself, but was the residue of the old tanning (fat-liquoring) processes; when the processes changed for environmental reasons the smell went away. However we have become accustomed to a certain odour that is associated with luxury vehicles interiors, ‘burl wood and natural leather'.

If you like a 'leather smell' and try LTT Leather Essence is a concentrate and is therefore very strong, and will remind you of what we associate with the smell of natural leather hides. Leather Essence is a professional strength counteract ant’. Long lasting and the only synthetic product I’ve found that actually has a pleasant smell of 'leather'. I’ve tested a great number of "leather scented" deodorizers, and was not impressed. This product smells more like real leather than any product on the market. Spray onto an applicator and apply to surface (DO NOT spray directly onto surface) – LTT

New Car Smell - is the common term for the odour that comes from the combination of materials used and out gassing of vinyl plasticisers, and various adhesives ( including those used on finished leather0 that are found in new automobiles. Many health care professionals regard the volatile chemical compounds pose a health risk in such a confined area.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

I have been using chemical guys leather conditioner on most BMWs for that reason. All other cars with different leather (porsche, aston martin, lambo) I use leatherique

the CG will leather the leather slightly smoother for the first day, but it will wear off. It does not leave any residue that will transfer onto clothes. It will slightly darken the leather as well upon first application, but that blends and looks more natural over the next couple of days.

I have tried lexol, and megs leathers cleaner/conditioner and didnt like either of those too much as I wanted a dedicated cleaner, then conditioner.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Wareagle340
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-Sport

Garage List
never tried leather scent, may give it a try. i've been using this for a couple months and its pretty good if you like new car scent... much better than any i've found at local auto stores.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/New_car_...air_101_16.htm
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Cg leather scent and PB leather stuff are both great.

Also Leatherique Pristine Clean has a good mild scent.

I sprayed Cg leather scent in my work vehicle which is cloth seats. Confused the girlfriend when she got in LOL
      05-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

i've tried a number of products. I still prefer Lexol.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

I use Turtle Wax Platinum Leather Conditioner. The smell is a bit much for the first day, but roll your windows down while you drive and let it air out and after that it'll be a more subtle leather smell. Does a good job softening and cleaning the leather, as well.