E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Illegal street mods – your opinion

12-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Gemballa1980
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Illegal street mods – your opinion

While I’m aware that Catless DP’s aren’t meant for street, most still seem to use them. Also the likelihood of the RTA stopping you and getting under your car is pretty slim. I’m assuming the only situation that would have you concerned with running them would be if you have to roll over the pits / car inspection.

This brings me to under bonnet mods. In some states, DCI’s and BOV’s are illegal and the likelihood of being stopped and having the RTA look under the bonnet is obviously higher. We could bring meth into this too, but it doesn’t seem to be as common in Aus.

My concern: If you’re stopped and found to have DCI’s and/or a BOV, in addition to a fine, it’ll likely lead on to a full inspection too. This could lead to the discovery of catless DP’s – no?

So now I’m thinking, would one be better off with a drop-in filter and DV’s instead of DCI and bov, as they would decrease the chance of being pinged should the RTA pop your bonnet. And secondly (probably a stupid question) if you were ordered to have a full inspection, would you remove the catless dp’s prior – given how much of a PITA they are to remove.

This sort of leads onto a side question; since 335i's run dual cats (primary and secondary) – is anyone aware of the ruling with only running secondary? Are we able to run bigger cats in place of the secondaries, or it doesn’t work like that? I remember reading somewhere that an ADR approved cat would be legal, so it the secondary cat ADR approved??

Just after your thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Not sure about the act, but in nsw any modification to the mechanicals is essentially illegal. If you are curious just follow the doof doof boys and wait for the fuzz to look you over
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

You're correct in regards to intake and bov, you would be much safer with a high flow filter in an enclosed intake (oem) and dv's.

As pavo has stated anything not oem is illegal (even if you have an engineers cert the cop can still slap you with a canary)

Regards to the catless DP's if your exhaust was excessively loud then they may ping you to have an epa test for emissions, then upon testing for emissions you may run into emission issues (i.e if you fail I believe they give you another crack - albeit at your expense again but there are a few dirty tricks to ensure the emissions test passes)

So in a nutshell if you're worried about cops stick with the oem intake with a bmc/K&N panel filter and forge dv's and go with the catless DP's and retain the oem muffler setup but tbh euro cars rarely if ever get pulled over in defect stations its the wrevolines that get targeted unless you're driving like a cock in a suburban area and asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemballa1980 View Post
Just after your thoughts and/or experiences.
Look at the vast numbers of jap import cars on the roads on Australia that are just defects on wheels. Look at all the tard p-platers with fart cannon exhausts, hid bulbs in reflector lamps, cats cut out, cut springs, exposed pod filters, dodgy body kits, the list goes on. The cops would have their arms full with these as they are the most blatant cases (even though I doubt they really apply enough heat on these morons). A recent model BMW being driven by someone that doesn't look like they are a crim isnt going to raise suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Good questions and also ones that I am pondering myself. Personal experience here in the ACT has shown that cone intakes seem to get the OK at rego inspections. I had bought a E36 M3 with a cold air intake and a cone filter. Went through without issues. The NSW guy who bought it off me had no end of troubles getting it registered until he fabricated a cover for it; passed no problems after that. Seems like open cone intakes are frowned upon in NSW. I should stress again, this has been my experience.

I have to agree with the comment that if you are concerned, then maybe mods like higher flow sealed intakes and oem style DVs are the 'safer' option.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP

In regards to the CAI , the reason i went for the dinan was that it was covered , hopefully if ever pulled over , sort of looks factory

The other reason was im a sucker for carbon fibre
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
unless you're driving like a cock in a suburban area and asking for trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Look at all the tard p-platers with fart cannon exhausts
Gold, just Gold
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootah View Post
In regards to the CAI , the reason i went for the dinan was that it was covered , hopefully if ever pulled over , sort of looks factory

You could do what Joe did and put a BMW sticker over the 'other' brand. That'll fool em
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
You could do what Joe did and put a BMW sticker over the 'other' brand. That'll fool em
Great Idea - i could put a big M3 badge over the top - you know cause ive always wanted an M3 and that will confuse the S#it out them
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

- RTA won't be the one pulling you over, it'll likely be HWP or general duty police.
- If they see a DCI you could get a defect which you'll have to get cleared by someone on the rta's list of registered mechanics. When you put your stock airbox on, the mechanic will see the DCI has been removed and most likely give it a tick and you're off on your way. Unlikely (time/effort constraints) the mechanic will then go inspect everything on your car.

If for some reason you ever got a full shakedown and had to report to the pits for a thorough vehicle inspection then I would put the stock cats in... for $500 install, consider it 'insurance' against a potentially much larger fine.

Now away from all these scary stories, who here has ever been defected in a BMW OR been asked to open their bonnet?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

I'm a sucker for carbon fibre as well.. and that CAI looks pretty cool.. mind if I ask how much it cost u? Might put that in my planned upgrades in the future...
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I'm a sucker for carbon fibre as well.. and that CAI looks pretty cool.. mind if I ask how much it cost u? Might put that in my planned upgrades in the future...
They are $1200-1300 usd new! The simota item doesn't look too bad for $500, alas i dont think it would be as effective as the dinan but we are talking probably 2-3kw...

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 12-03-2012 at 02:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
I cant remember exactly, i bought two items Intake and Intercooler , i think i paid approx $900 for the intake (Second Hand) it came off a 135 after 3 months use so was like new.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
They are $1200-1300 usd new! The simota item doesn't look too bad for $500, alas i dont think it would be as effective as the dinan but we are talking probably 2-3kw...
2-3 kw is about right - forget about the 10 kw listed on Dinan web site , you can really only notice at high rev's where power doesnt drop off as quickly as previously

Price i was quoted by Dinan was $1299 new + Shipping + GST if you get pulled up by customs - i was counting on around $1400 - $1500 landed for a new one
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #15
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

My question is would the person or police even know what to look for outside the exposed intake. I doubt they'd immediately identify a bov or downpipe. Just cover the filters.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
My question is would the person or police even know what to look for outside the exposed intake. I doubt they'd immediately identify a bov or downpipe. Just cover the filters.
They definately wouldn't spot the DP's but the bov yup they would for sure! My chargepipe is anodised black but the bov is pretty obvious (the plod actually get trained on what mods to look for in a engine bay believe it or not)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #17
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I feel the need to lick that intake its so god damn good!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
Scootah
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I feel the need to lick that intake its so god damn good!!!

TBH in the end i didnt even care if it worked - i just liked the look of it
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
BMJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
[/B]

TBH in the end i didnt even care if it worked - i just liked the look of it
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
TCoz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335

it does look great
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
purifyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

OP - I'm stage 3 (DCI, catless DP, procede, FMIC) + meth

Been pulled over by the police (VIC) a few times... they have NEVER asked to look in the engine bay

late model european cars apparently don't get modified... or more likely, the cop has very limited experience in dealing with these cars and doesn't really know what he's looking for / is not sure what is OEM and what isn't anyway
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #22
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purifyer
OP - I'm stage 3 (DCI, catless DP, procede, FMIC) + meth

Been pulled over by the police (VIC) a few times... they have NEVER asked to look in the engine bay

late model european cars apparently don't get modified... or more likely, the cop has very limited experience in dealing with these cars and doesn't really know what he's looking for / is not sure what is OEM and what isn't anyway
LMFAO I like how you drop the "been pulled over by the fuzz a few times" and just sail on...

Did they pull you over to ask directions?
Appreciate 0