E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > '09 335i X-Drive at the dealership longer than I've owned it!

02-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

'09 335i X-Drive at the dealership longer than I've owned it!

UPDATE: SOLVED POST #4

This is probably going to more of a 'vent' thread than anything. I've been lurking around here a lot lately, one of my first posts. I just bought a 2009 black 335xi, msport, navi, everything. I've previously owned 300ZX TT, RSX-S Stage II Turbo, G35, G37. Out of all of them I have to say that the BMW is the most fun. HOWEVER, that being said it has been at BMW Northwest for the past 3 weeks (it was there for a week, a week prior to the second trip). The car had a couple cosmetic problems, a pretty bad hesitation, long crank, and a rattle noise between 2000 and 3000 rpm (not wastegate rattle sound) at about 30-50% throttle. Currently the following has been fixed:

New Battery/Register ($400)
Had an exhaust leak, new gasket at repair ($400)
Alignment ($200)
New Start Button due to peeling trim (Warranty)
New Steering Wheel cover due to peeling trim (Warranty)
New circular lumber switch due to the installed one being free spinning (Warranty)
Two new seat belt extenders (Warranty)
Replaced Intake/Exhaust VANOS solenoids due to intermittent SES (Warranty)
New HPFP due to long crank (Warranty)
6 New Injectors due to hesitation (Warranty)
Walnut Blast Service due to hesitation (Warranty)
New motor mounts due to rattle sound (Warranty)

Currently they are still unable to isolate the vibration sound they are hearing. They said they are waiting on an engineer to fly in from Cali, but apparently he is two weeks out. They have been having to call BMWNA get the next step, report back findings from next step, and go back and forth and so on. Last word I got was they are taking off the valve cover to check some solenoids in there This is more of a venting thread like I said. I would have to say that Jay has been an awesome SA despite me calling and harassing him every day! It is just hard to come see my new JB4 sitting on the counter every day collecting dust.......

Last edited by m_fife; 03-17-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

congrats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasorjb View Post
This is probably going to more of a 'vent' thread than anything. I've been lurking around here a lot lately, one of my first posts. I just bought a 2009 black 335xi, msport, navi, everything. I've previously owned 300ZX TT, RSX-S Stage II Turbo, G35, G37. Out of all of them I have to say that the BMW is the most fun. HOWEVER, that being said it has been at BMW Northwest for the past 3 weeks (it was there for a week, a week prior to the second trip). The car had a couple cosmetic problems, a pretty bad hesitation, long crank, and a rattle noise between 2000 and 3000 rpm (not wastegate rattle sound) at about 30-50% throttle. Currently the following has been fixed:

New Battery/Register ($400)
Had an exhaust leak, new gasket at repair ($400)
Alignment ($200)
New Start Button due to peeling trim (Warranty)
New Steering Wheel cover due to peeling trim (Warranty)
New circular lumber switch due to the installed one being free spinning (Warranty)
Two new seat belt extenders (Warranty)
Replaced Intake/Exhaust VANOS solenoids due to intermittent SES (Warranty)
New HPFP due to long crank (Warranty)
6 New Injectors due to hesitation (Warranty)
Walnut Blast Service due to hesitation (Warranty)
New motor mounts due to rattle sound (Warranty)

Currently they are still unable to isolate the vibration sound they are hearing. They said they are waiting on an engineer to fly in from Cali, but apparently he is two weeks out. They have been having to call BMWNA get the next step, report back findings from next step, and go back and forth and so on. Last word I got was they are taking off the valve cover to check some solenoids in there This is more of a venting thread like I said. I would have to say that Jay has been an awesome SA despite me calling and harassing him every day! It is just hard to come see my new JB4 sitting on the counter every day collecting dust.......
Welcome to the not so fun part of 335i ownership- did you notice any of these things on the test drive? did you check the service history on the car? if i heard rattles and felt hesitation i probably would have stayed away but i dont know how many miles and what price you paid. that being said it sounds like they are taking care of the problems. it sounds like the car has seens some use i would really try and get the turbos done while they deal with the wastegates.
anyway i hope you get things sorted and enjoy the car when you get it back
      02-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
Welcome to the not so fun part of 335i ownership- did you notice any of these things on the test drive? did you check the service history on the car? if i heard rattles and felt hesitation i probably would have stayed away but i dont know how many miles and what price you paid. that being said it sounds like they are taking care of the problems. it sounds like the car has seens some use i would really try and get the turbos done while they deal with the wastegates.
anyway i hope you get things sorted and enjoy the car when you get it back
Didn't really notice the hesitation when I was test driving it, you don't really notice it unless you are cruising in like a 20 mph school zone. Didn't hear the rattle till much later, there is a 'sweet' spot that you have to get the engine at to have it make the noise. It has 46k on it. The hesitation has been eliminated, they said that the one injector going bad (had to replace all 6 due to the newer injectors) in combination with the carbon build up was the reason. Seems pretty common on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just as an update for anyone having this problem:

After 6 weeks I finally got my car back yesterday noise free. They replaced the bank two turbo and the flywheel in an attempt to isolate the noise with no joy. As a final step they pulled the cams for inspection and found the timing to be off a few degrees, they also replaced the valve cover. Once they put it back together no more noise. They weren't sure if it was the timing or the valve cover making the noise, either way I'm glad it is gone. Car drives amazing after having the valves cleaned!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

That's great to hear. I get nervous as the mileage climbs each day. ... lol
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Good news I'm glad they sorted you out. Enjoy & make sure everything is 100% whilst you have the car back fresh
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

How did you know about the exhaust leak?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489
How did you know about the exhaust leak?
It was the initial diagnosis from BMW on the engine hesitation.
      03-17-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Is the vibration/sound at idle?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by index1489
Is the vibration/sound at idle?
The sound was only present when you gave it partial throttle up to 2000 rpm, only at normal operating temperature. Wouldn't do it when it was cold or above 2k rpm.