E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Bay Area California - Recommend Vinyl installer?

04-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Bay Area California - Recommend Vinyl installer?

Bought a roll of vinyl from bmwshadowline.com, which came in yesterday. I PATIENTLY tried to apply it that evening, starting with the straight pieces on my back windows. Long story short, this stuff is pretty tough to install. I went through about 5-6 feet just on the two back pieces, only getting one installed. I'm somewhat sure I could probably get some more of the pieces wrapped, but I'm really wondering how I would do under the drivers mirror, and really don't want to deal wit hit

I've ordered another roll, as I don't have enough left to do the entire car, but I'm looking for one of two things. I don't want to drive to Anaheim to EAS just to pay them 200$ to do it, so either let me know if there's a shop in the Bay Area that is reputable that does a good job, or if someone on here that lives anywhere between SF and San Jose thinks they can do it, I'd be happy to pay you 150-200$ + pack of beer of your choice

As a side alternative, I have a friend that is headed to LA this weekend, who will be in the downtown LA/ Anaheim area, who is willing to drive my car down and back to get it done. If anyone knows a reputable shop that can do it, or if someone here is confident they can do it (you would need to have the vinyl, as I've only got about 24ft left on my current roll, waiting on a new roll to come in). If someone can do it in 1-1.5 or so hours, he can get it done for me.

Let me know what options are available. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
rjive
weekend > work
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I've used Lyle from Vinyl Styles before...

http://www.vinylstyles.com/index2.php#/home/

edit - I am in no way affiliated with Lyle or VS. Just making a my recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by my07_335i View Post
Bought a roll of vinyl from bmwshadowline.com, which came in yesterday. I PATIENTLY tried to apply it that evening, starting with the straight pieces on my back windows. Long story short, this stuff is pretty tough to install. I went through about 5-6 feet just on the two back pieces, only getting one installed. I'm somewhat sure I could probably get some more of the pieces wrapped, but I'm really wondering how I would do under the drivers mirror, and really don't want to deal wit hit

I've ordered another roll, as I don't have enough left to do the entire car, but I'm looking for one of two things. I don't want to drive to Anaheim to EAS just to pay them 200$ to do it, so either let me know if there's a shop in the Bay Area that is reputable that does a good job, or if someone on here that lives anywhere between SF and San Jose thinks they can do it, I'd be happy to pay you 150-200$ + pack of beer of your choice

As a side alternative, I have a friend that is headed to LA this weekend, who will be in the downtown LA/ Anaheim area, who is willing to drive my car down and back to get it done. If anyone knows a reputable shop that can do it, or if someone here is confident they can do it (you would need to have the vinyl, as I've only got about 24ft left on my current roll, waiting on a new roll to come in). If someone can do it in 1-1.5 or so hours, he can get it done for me.

Let me know what options are available. Thanks!
If you're close to LTBMW...the answer is...LTBMW
And just for the record, the vinyl BMW-shadowline uses is eh...I would highly suggest just getting it painted, or getting higher quality vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #4
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

I wrapped several interiors in the past and I have to tell you..... Working with vinyl takes patience. Doing the exterior trim should be the same. To be honest, I am not a fan of wrapping the exterior. it is only a sticker after all.

A better option would be to replace the trims or to paint them. It will last longer. Vinyl are prone to scratches and when the weather gets hot.... it will get soft again and you might experience some peeling at the edges. I applied some adhesive promoter on the back of the interior trim to prevent this from happening but I wouldn't do that to the exterior paint since the chemical might damage the paint.

When I was much younger, I had some vinyl decals (fairly large ones) on my car. Don't ask.... it was my "RICE" years. I noticed that bird poop would edge the vinyl if you don't clean it immediately. Once this happens, the vinyl is ruin. The benefit of vinyl is the lower cost but if your intention is to keep your car for a while, i would recommend a more permanent solution.

Here is a link to a shadowline (Matt black) trim kit to replace all your current window trims. If I read it correctly, it is only $200 more than what you are willing to pay to have someone to do the vinyl. Gloss black cost more.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...7&startrow=126
      04-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjive View Post
I've used Lyle from Vinyl Styles before...

http://www.vinylstyles.com/index2.php#/home/

edit - I am in no way affiliated with Lyle or VS. Just making a my recommendation.

Thanks for the info. Just contacted him and he quoted me 200$, so I'll get it done there (that's with vinyl, so i can return what I bought)
Appreciate 0