E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Straight Pipe?

07-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Question Straight Pipe?

So just out of curiosity does anyone here run straight pipes? Not muffler delete but catless, with new piping all the way back with no resonator and muffler? I know Turb0Mike does and it sounds like a race car haha. I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience or a video of the cabin noise. I've been searching here and youtube for a while but nothing really
      07-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
tiff335i
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 4dr

I still have cats, but its fully straight from there back and I hate it!!!! Will be picking up a full exhaust soon. Sounds good down low but if you get on it the sound is horrible. But I could feel a bit of top end pull, could also just be the sound that makes me think its quicker. Ha
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
hawaiianeze
Major Pain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff335i View Post
I still have cats, but its fully straight from there back and I hate it!!!! Will be picking up a full exhaust soon. Sounds good down low but if you get on it the sound is horrible. But I could feel a bit of top end pull, could also just be the sound that makes me think its quicker. Ha
any video (cabin or outside)?
      07-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

what's the reason behind contemplating on getting straight pipe?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
DEVN335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335

hmm im interested on hearing something like this. im running catless dp's stock pipe all the way to the mufflers, I switched my mufflers for some magnaflows. it sounds pretty good to me, but I would like it a little louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
klov335
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 lci n55 xdrive

straight pipe sounds like shit unless your tracking
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
spatt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i, Space Grey

I have catless dp's and muffler deletes until last night. It droned 1800-2300, cruising at 80 on the highway was a chore and would randomly backfire like a gun shot. Put the magnaflow mufflers back in and its a perfectly livable car with a subtle growl.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Entrust
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi m-sport

anyone has vids for muffler and resonator delete?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
SMOKE TR335
Higher than 9k RPM
Rep
Drives: Red Eyes Black Dragon

Im running fully catless with muffler+resonator delete. The cold starts in the morning are LOUD, neighbors hate me . If you are auto, driving in D under 2300 rpm will be a loud droning noise like spatt said. Once it hits ~3000 rpm and over, it sounds very loud and aggressive. Downshifting, you'll hear a few loud and defined pops and gurgles (sounds like thunder). The best part is the turbo spooling, i have no CAI or FMIC yet, but the turbo spools quick and is very responsive even at low rpm (paired with Jb4 of course). The spool is loud and numerous people believed I was running big turbos lol. Overall, this setup isn't that much about an appealing and nice tone as it is for aggressiveness imo. I haven't had a chance to take any pics or vids of my car, but if you're in NYC n want to hear how it sounds lmk .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Entrust
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE TR335 View Post
Im running fully catless with muffler+resonator delete. The cold starts in the morning are LOUD, neighbors hate me . If you are auto, driving in D under 2300 rpm will be a loud droning noise like spatt said. Once it hits ~3000 rpm and over, it sounds very loud and aggressive. Downshifting, you'll hear a few loud and defined pops and gurgles (sounds like thunder). The best part is the turbo spooling, i have no CAI or FMIC yet, but the turbo spools quick and is very responsive even at low rpm (paired with Jb4 of course). The spool is loud and numerous people believed I was running big turbos lol. Overall, this setup isn't that much about an appealing and nice tone as it is for aggressiveness imo. I haven't had a chance to take any pics or vids of my car, but if you're in NYC n want to hear how it sounds lmk .
you have n55? xdrive? anyway you can take a video and send me? would really appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #11
mbf_e92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE TR335 View Post
i got a 328i xdrive. i just ordered supersprint straight pipes, and ima be running catless too. i was wondering if u did ur muffler delete when u got ur pipes or after. and which sounds better, muffler delete or not. cause a friend of mine told me not to do the muffler delete, but idk. i want it to sound loud as shit lol. and im in NY. i would love to hear ur ride lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
I had a 328xi before my 335 and I had a muffler delete (not full straight pipe) just removed the muffler for pipe in place.. It was loud but not a very tasteful mod and I think I lost low end torque because the muffler does built up some kind of back end pressure.. I don't recommend it I say spend the money on a more legit exhaust setup just my humble opinion
Appreciate 0