E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > D-Can Cable - Please Advise.

01-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

D-Can Cable - Please Advise.

I know there are so many vendors selling the D-can cables. I found there was an ebay seller from Romania selling a cable which came with the DVD discs which already came with all the software downloaded.

He has his own coding forum as well. It seems his software is easy to use and much more straight forward.

Did anyone buy this cable from him before?

I just need a cable with software easy to use and do some minor coding.

Please advise, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #2
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

I know one stop electronics have the best cable but they don't come with the software.

I want something easy to use, I am not very familiar to the coding.

I am planning to change the battery but I know I need to do the battery register.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Ebay cables are hit and miss. I have two that were cheaper than One Stop but not the cheapest out there. They work fine on both early & newer BMW after I installed a jumper to switch between.

My friend tried the cheap easy route and has gone through three cables without any working as reliably as mine.

My brother wised up and stole my first cable after he saw it working. Then I bought another to replace it and got lucky again.

One stop is about as sure of a thing as can be. Otherwise it's a risk. Software is easy to find so that shouldn't be an issue. Also there is no guarantee that the software provided with the Romanian cable will work. It all depends on the versions of your controllers unless the software provided is the latest and greatest..... highly unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

I checked his own discussion forum and it seems the DVD dics with the software are easy to install and use such as the battery registration (if using the OEM battery).

However, I am not sure the Ncsexpert stuff, I know if anything screwed up during the communication between the vehicle and the software, the car may not start up.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
I know if anything screwed up during the communication between the vehicle and the software, the car may not start up.

During Communication (ie. Reading)... NO. But during coding or programming... Yes threre is a very good chance something will get messed up.
Always test by reading first to make sure it's nice and stable. Then and only then take the plunge into coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
During Communication (ie. Reading)... NO. But during coding or programming... Yes threre is a very good chance something will get messed up.
Always test by reading first to make sure it's nice and stable. Then and only then take the plunge into coding.
I am still thinking whether I should buy the cable and try it on my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

Coding isn't as much of a "plunge" that so many people have made it out to be. I've screwed coding up on purpose to see what it would do and the most you will have to do is recode it with expert mode and the affected module will reset. Not hard. What will mess you up is programming and if you don't know what to do you may find yourself in a sticky situation. For example, when you program a transmission you run the risk of the transmission being stuck in park until you find a way to fix it. Sometimes this involves coding the trans with expert mode and sometimes you need to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. All depends on the car but that is how you learn. IMO, if the guy is selling software with the cable (and not just the worthless disk with the 1989 version of INPA) he probably knows what he is doing. Ask him if he includes bmw standard tools 2.12 or DIS and the latest DATEN files. You will need the DATEN to code and also to register your battery. He may not have DATEN 51.x or whatever but I've been using 50.2 and I haven't had any problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate5ks View Post
Coding isn't as much of a "plunge" that so many people have made it out to be. I've screwed coding up on purpose to see what it would do and the most you will have to do is recode it with expert mode and the affected module will reset. Not hard. What will mess you up is programming and if you don't know what to do you may find yourself in a sticky situation. For example, when you program a transmission you run the risk of the transmission being stuck in park until you find a way to fix it. Sometimes this involves coding the trans with expert mode and sometimes you need to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. All depends on the car but that is how you learn. IMO, if the guy is selling software with the cable (and not just the worthless disk with the 1989 version of INPA) he probably knows what he is doing. Ask him if he includes bmw standard tools 2.12 or DIS and the latest DATEN files. You will need the DATEN to code and also to register your battery. He may not have DATEN 51.x or whatever but I've been using 50.2 and I haven't had any problems.
So, when you reset the module...is it simply selecting module, changing to read data, changing to write module, then executing job?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

I gave up buying the cable. I paid some experienced coder to do the job for me. I cannot afford to repair the damages which caused by myself.

I hope there is something like a BMW coding training class, so I will feel more confident.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_c
Quote:
So, when you reset the module...is it simply selecting module, changing to read data, changing to write module, then executing job?
Select sg_codieren for the job and execute job. That simple
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER
I gave up buying the cable. I paid some experienced coder to do the job for me. I cannot afford to repair the damages which caused by myself.

I hope there is something like a BMW coding training class, so I will feel more confident.
You wouldn't have likely caused irreparable damage
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I read somewhere in the post, a guy who installed the software successfully but when he connected the cable to the car and started the coding, his car popped up tons of error codes and as a result, he had to bring the car back to the dealership for diagnosing and repairing. The cost was not cheap.

I need to drive the car every day, if it does not move, I cannot go to work.

Well, I believe most of the coders in e90post are experts, I am only the exceptional case. I hate working with software. I really hope there are some training courses instead of just reading the DIYs or videos.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER
Quote:
I read somewhere in the post, a guy who installed the software successfully but when he connected the cable to the car and started the coding, his car popped up tons of error codes and as a result, he had to bring the car back to the dealership for diagnosing and repairing. The cost was not cheap.

I need to drive the car every day, if it does not move, I cannot go to work.

Well, I believe most of the coders in e90post are experts, I am only the exceptional case. I hate working with software. I really hope there are some training courses instead of just reading the DIYs or videos.
There are no courses to my knowledge, everything is kind of unofficial. And not everybody is an expert, I still have plenty to learn. Likely that person you are referring to did not explain all the circumstances as simply plugging the cable in would not cause numerous errors. I'm sure there would be interest in a course but everyone is so spread out here.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Glowin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35 & 335i now - M2/M4 next?

Quote:
Yeah I heard dealers are now putting on the classes. Check with your local one.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

None in Canada.

I hope the class will be organized by the experienced coders.

BMW may charge more than $400 for a course.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
smooth1
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Man, I've considered putting up an online training course and taking donations... but I just don't know. So much time!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
nate5ks
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Yeah I heard dealers are now putting on the classes. Check with your local one.
They probably teach how to do the Alpina flash and give away the latest DATEN.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #18
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Live chat training course is interesting.

Everyone has a cable, laptop and car standby.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 06:36 PM   #19
big_c
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 AW 335i Step

Teamviewer is free and can let people do remote coding.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #20
smooth1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Live chat training course is interesting.

Everyone has a cable, laptop and car standby.
Good idea as well, just needs serious scheduling.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

You can be the instructor / organizer if u are the expert.

First thing to start, I assume everyone has to buy a cable from you first with the software provided.

If this online tutorial really exists, I will join.

Course name: Coding (COD101)

Last edited by MAZINGER; 01-23-2014 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
smooth1
Banned
Rep

I do have cables in stock, but I wouldn't require you to get it from me.

A lot of people know COD as Call of Duty.
Appreciate 0