E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 6NR activation for vehicles older than 2011

08-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

6NR activation for vehicles older than 2011

On this and other forums I’ve seen a lot of posts from owners of older BMWs (older than 2011) asking whether it’s possible to activate 6NR, Connected Drive option on their vehicles, and I decided to create this thread to let all of the owners know that the answer is “YES”. Despite what you might have been told by BMW dealer, it is possible to enable BMWs apps, Bluetooth option, Facebook, album art display, video from iPhone, etc. in your vehicle! Depending on your vehicle’s current options and retrofits, you may need different products and/or coding. Please send us an email at info@bimmerretrofit.com, with your VIN number and options that you wish to have, and we will tell you what you will need!

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Recently, I created a post called, “Why you should never buy CIC navigation systems from non-professionals”, which many forum users have found helpful. Due to some of the recent events, I decided to create this thread to bring to your attention some of the issues that you may encounter when you order Combox Media / 6NR retrofits from non-professionals (Ebay, Amazon, amateurs, etc).

When you buy Combox Media / 6NR retrofit from non-professionals, you may end up in a situation when you have spent a couple of hundred dollars on the retrofit that does not work at all for one of the following reasons:

1. The seller does not take the time to understand your vehicle’s current options and configurations and sells you a standard kit, which is not compatible with your vehicle, because your vehicle is not Combox-ready and misses the required items for correct installation. When you contact the seller for support you do not get any help, and your local BMW is not able to help you as well. So you have spent money for a retrofit and received nothing in return. There is a way to remedy this situation, but few people/companies know how to do this, Bimmer Retrofit is one of them.

2. You were lucky, and the seller sent you the complete Combox Kit for your specific vehicle, but it still does not work, because coding is required. However, the seller either (a) did not tell you about this in advance, or (b) does not know how to do PROPER coding. Either way, you will be stuck with a Combox Media / 6NR that do not function properly, because no coding has been done or has been improperly done.

In the example that serves as the basis of this post, the customer purchased from eBay and found himself in exactly this situation. For two months he was trying to figure out why his Combox / Connected Drive is not working and was not able to find a solution, until he found Bimmer Retrofit.

When you buy from eBay or other non-professionals, please be very careful and make sure you understand exactly what you are getting for your money before your commit to buy.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Eric SS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Chevy SS Sedan

I have an early 2010 build 2011 BMW 335is. I have all of the options (bluetooth, nav, phone dock, etc.) that would be needed for 6NR had it been built 3/11+. How difficult is it to retrofit this set up if even possible? Do you know if this will still work with the iPhone 5? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Itec
Rep
Drives: E92

I like understand this too. I just got CIC upgrade (E92 2007). What extra I need to get Connector Drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itec View Post
I like understand this too. I just got CIC upgrade (E92 2007). What extra I need to get Connector Drive?
It depends on the current options that you have. Please send me an email to info@bimmerretrofit.com and include your VIN - I will be able to tell you what you will need.

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I have an early 2010 build 2011 BMW 335is. I have all of the options (bluetooth, nav, phone dock, etc.) that would be needed for 6NR had it been built 3/11+. How difficult is it to retrofit this set up if even possible? Do you know if this will still work with the iPhone 5? Thanks!

Hello, this should not be difficult. To know exactly what you will need I will need to know your VIN (vehicle identification number). You can send me an email to info@bimmerretrofit.com, and I will let you know.

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

A lot of people are still very confused about BMW Connected Drive activation in vehicles older than 2011. Once again - it is possible!

Depending on your vehicle's configuration, you may need add various modules and/or wiring, but it is possible. Yes, even if your vehicle did not come with Bluetooth phone prep from fcatory!

Do not be shy to contact us for information about your specific vehicle. Do not forget to include your vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number) for faster response!

thanks,

Kate.
info@bimmerretrofit.com
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

I understand you are a vendor here, but in a forum for help and discussion, can it be made public what individuals need? I have an 09 with CIC with 6FL, how could i get the album art etc?? No i dont want to PM you and listen to a sales pitch.
      01-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
I understand you are a vendor here, but in a forum for help and discussion, can it be made public what individuals need? I have an 09 with CIC with 6FL, how could i get the album art etc?? No i dont want to PM you and listen to a sales pitch.
They request a PM with your VIN so they can see exactly what options your car already has in it.

Some cars may need additional parts while other cars don't need anything except the FSC code and the coding done. Providing your VIN via PM keeps your VIN number private (not displaying it to the whole board) and allows the vendor to give you an accurate description of what you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
akshay1234
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D, F25 X3 30D

Garage List
2011 BMW 320D  [0.00]
My car is a late 2010 car, the kit was assembled in my country in 2011. It has a combox, full bluetooth prep, tv tuner, voice control, etc. I don't see a connected drive option. Is it possible to get it enabled from the BMW dealer easily? Or will some retrofits need to be done?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
I am picking up a 2010 E92 with CIC and bluetooth but no Combox or Assist. I am interested in the combox 6NR retrofit but I don't understand why I can't find a single post discussing the cost. Not even a rough estimate. All I see are vendors saying "PM me and I'll tell you" which seems kind of secretive and makes me reluctant. I get it that there are a bunch of different combinations but most people on these forums are used to discussing the detail of complex variations already. Surely, someone can post up a list of the significant/common combinations and what the rough level of effort/cost might be.

Or I can post a list of the options on the vehicle I am picking up and then you can reply with a rough estimate for that particular set of options. Just a suggestion. I want to do it but only for the right price and the lack of upfront discussion on cost makes me think twice.

Last edited by SharkBait; 02-03-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwood View Post
I am picking up a 2010 E92 with CIC and bluetooth but no Combox or Assist. I am interested in the combox 6NR retrofit but I don't understand why I can't find a single post discussing the cost. Not even a rough estimate. All I see are vendors saying "PM me and I'll tell you" which seems kind of secretive and makes me reluctant. I get it that there are a bunch of different combinations but most people on these forums are used to discussing the detail of complex variations already. Surely, someone can post up a list of the significant/common combinations and what the rough level of effort/cost might be.

Or I can post a list of the options on the vehicle I am picking up and then you can reply with a rough estimate for that particular set of options. Just a suggestion. I want to do it but only for the right price and the lack of upfront discussion on cost makes me think twice.
Let me see if I can come with a rough estimate: (for europe)
This is an estimate of the dealer price for hardware alone- (all from BMW dealer) (all prices in Euro)

Combox Media : 356
baseplate : 170
Snapin media : 180
HSD blue cable : 72
FBAS cable : 35

I do not know the cost of getting 6NR FSC (prob 200) ..

Vendors will surely charge more..

- Deeps

Last edited by deepsrd; 02-04-2013 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: Euro prices
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianwood View Post
And the difference between that and sending them a private message would be what? Not junking up the thread with a ton of pricing requests? It's not like you are locked into buying from them just because you sent a PM. Send PM's to both retrofit vendors on the site and compare pricing.

It's very common practice on forums for vendors to request customers to PM them for pricing information because they may not watch every thread they start but they do watch their PM's. (I know I wouldn't want an email notification every time someone put some random post in a thread I started).

Also, pricing is listed on their websites 99% of the time. If you already know what you need, you can get an idea of pricing from their website.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
SharkBait
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
This is an estimate of the dealer price for hardware alone- (all from BMW dealer) (all prices in Euro)

Combox Media : 356
baseplate : 170
Snapin media : 180
HSD blue cable : 72
FBAS cable : 35

I do not know the cost of getting 6NR FSC (prob 200) ..
Thanks! So I guess that would leave labor and coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
If you already know what you need, you can get an idea of pricing from their website.
Didn't know what parts I would need but now I have an idea thanks to the above.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
PSEE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Unhappy

I got a price quote for my 2009 diesel - hold onto your hats - $1200 - plus
installing modules, s/w downloads, etc.

worth it?

I think not!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
F31Bimmerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY2014 328d xDrive touring

I backed out as well.. I'd love to do it, even as a DIY, I have the coding cables, guides and everything.. but when I factor in the price for the parts it's just not worth it to get some album covers, FB and streaming BT music. Instead, I bought myself a tiny Bluetooth streamer that I plugged into the aux port. granted I can't change the tunes from my steering wheel or idrive wheel, but I only had to spend 20$ for it and manage the music from the cradle instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Let me clarify:
1. As a vendor, we are not allowed to post prices on the forums
2. Our general prices are presented on the website. If you want to know the exact price for your specific vehicle - email us with your VIN, since we are not able to give a quote without seeing the VIN - this is our policy, especially for 6NR, since depending on the vehicle's configuration, the prices can vary.
3. For more technically inclined users, these are the pre-requisites for 6NR: SA609, SA6VC and SA6FL.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
My car is a late 2010 car, the kit was assembled in my country in 2011. It has a combox, full bluetooth prep, tv tuner, voice control, etc. I don't see a connected drive option. Is it possible to get it enabled from the BMW dealer easily? Or will some retrofits need to be done?
For you it looks like you wouldn't need to get any additional hardware, as it can be activated remotely.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

i sent you an email with my vin # and what i'm looking to get

how is installation handled? do you have authorized installers? or we have to do it ourselves?
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO View Post
i sent you an email with my vin # and what i'm looking to get

how is installation handled? do you have authorized installers? or we have to do it ourselves?
Hello,

I've replied to your email.
We have a list of dealers/installation locations on our website. You can review the list to see if there is someone in your area: http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde.../store_locator

Thanks,

Kate.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
soulfunk
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE E90

05 E90

PM Sent with VIN. Look forward to a response.

- Edit:

Actually, not sent. As a new user, seems I cannot send PM's. Will email you instead!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfunk View Post
PM Sent with VIN. Look forward to a response.

- Edit:

Actually, not sent. As a new user, seems I cannot send PM's. Will email you instead!
Don't think I received the email. Please resend: info@bimmerretrofit.com
Appreciate 0