E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > v2 to v3 upgrade

07-23-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Barat
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

v2 to v3 upgrade

Sorry if this is a repost...I will be getting my v3 pnp harness later this week and I couldn't find any instructions on how to go from v2 to v3.

Do I need to undo the v1 and v2 harnesses completly (go back to stock) and then install the v3 harness?

thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
Sparky66
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 Coupe. Jet Black.

Basically yes and make sure you update to the V3 Firmware and appropriate Stage Software before starting the car.

07-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
These are the instructions I used to go from V2 back to stock and they worked very well!

I've got this originally in a Word doc, so hopefully the format is clear. It is based on an installation guide done by someone else, but I've reversed the directions and added V2 info, I've pasted below :

Materials Needed:

1. Small flathead screwdriver.
2. 8mm socket tool for screws.
3. 10mm socket wrench for the ground screw.
4. Needle nose pliers

Stage 1 – Removing the Covers
1. Turn off ignition. No lights should be on the dashboard. Comfort Access users: keep your key fob away from your car (leave it in your house) and retrieve it only when needed then go back and return it when done etc.
2. Open the hood.
3. Disconnect the air temperature sensor located behind the shock tower by twisting it clockwise and pulling it out from the back. Unfasten the sensor cable’s clips.
4. Remove the black plastic cover (clips from back and front). Also push back the rubber tab which holds it in place.
5. Repeat above on passenger side cover as well.
6. Remove the six (6) 8mm screws that hold the A/C system’s micro-filter in place and set the filter aside.
7. Remove the rubber tabs that attach to the black bulkhead tray cover. Do this on both sides.
8. Pull the rectangular assembly forward to expose the wiring loom which is held into the bulkhead tray by three (3) snaps.
9. Release the snaps by using a fingernail or small screwdriver.
10. Remove the two (2) 8mm bolts near the hood support.
11. Remove the entire bulkhead tray and set it aside.
12. At the passenger side ECU cover, unsnap the two (2) fasteners on the left and the right side.
13. After unlocking the ECU sliders, gently lift the ECU cover. The strut tower brace can be somewhat in the way, so patiently remove the cover.

Stage 2 – ECU Prep
1. Free up room by sliding the two (2) rubber fasteners off which are located on the left and right sides of the ECU compartment.
2. Remove the two (2) ECU connectors. Each connector has a sliding lock which holds it in place.
3. On the smaller of the two (2) ECU connectors, remove the slider by using a tiny flathead screwdriver and pressing down on the two (2) release tabs with the head of the screwdriver. Once released, the slider will slide out easily. Minimal force is needed.

Stage 3 – Removing the Harness
There are four (4) PROcede looms in total. One (1) of the wiring looms is yellow and holds two (2) pairs of wires. Other two (2) looms are white and green, and each one has only one (1) pair of wires. Each pair of the looms will have a male terminated end and a female terminated end. Also there is the V2 loom.

Part A – Smaller ECU’s Sub-Connector and Yellow Loom (2 pairs)

This step involves restoring the two (2) wires going into the smaller ECU connector, which is the connector on the right side of the ECU when facing the car.

1. Using the screwdriver, pull back the release tab which holds the black sub-connector secure. The sub-connector will slide out once the tab is pulled back (or released).

2. The numbers 1 and 13 will appear on one side of the sub-connector. Carefully count to the wire #6, restore with yellow wire with a white stripe (#525).

3. Restore wire #7 that is also yellow with a white stripe (appears to be no number on it).

4. Slide the black sub-connector back into the ECU connector. Reinsert the slider into the ECU connector.

Part B – Larger ECU’s Sub-Connector and White Loom (1 pair)
1. Using the screwdriver, pull back the release tab which holds the black sub-connector secure and slide it out.
2. The numbers 23 and 44 will appear on one side of the sub-connector. Carefully count to the wire #29, restore the solid yellow wire (#494).

Part C – Larger ECU’s Sub-Connector and Green Loom (1 pair)
Note: This carries off directly from part B, except now use the green loom.

1. On the reverse side of the sub-connector locate wire #10 restore with (#1324)– it is solid yellow.
2. Slide the black sub-connector back into the ECU connector until it clicks in.
3. Reinsert the slider into the ECU connector. It can only go in one way as well.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post2841790

Part D – Larger ECU’s Sub-Connector and V2 harness
1. Using the screwdriver, pull back the release tab which holds the White sub-connector secure and slide it out.
2. Restore wire #7, which is white with a grey stripe
3. Restore wire #14, which is solid white, (#837)

Part E – Remove ground/switched power
1 Using a 10mm socket wrench, remove the ground attached to next to the windshield washer’s bottleneck.
2 Unplug green power connector by pressing the two tabs on the sides of the connector and pulling up.
3 Pull the lower connector up and out of slot.
4 Open the "door" on the front of the connector. You can do this to either side. I chose the side with the orange wire at the end of the connector. With a small screw driver, or pick, flip the door open. There really isn't a trick to this, except to be gentle, as it barely requires any physical effort to flip it open.
5 Extract the black wire and replace with original orange wire.

Part F – Checking the Uninstall Status
1. To determine whether the wiring has been done correctly thus far, start the car.
2. The car should start normally. Allow the car to idle for 2–3 minutes to ensure that it does not behave erratically. No check engine or malfunction indicator lamps should appear. If an error is thrown, consult the Vishnu forum for help!
3. Turn off the car and allow it to sit for another 2–3 minutes. This is very important since the power to the ECU remains on for a short period of time even after turning off the ignition.

Stage 4 – Finishing the Uninstall
Part A – Finishing Touches
1. Remove PROcede unit.
2. Start the car and allow it to idle for 2–3 minutes to ensure no malfunction codes are thrown.
3. The PROcede un-install is complete!

Part B – Buttoning Things Up
1. Tuck the rubber fasteners that were moved to make room back into their positions (moved in Stage 2).
2. Install the plastic ECU cover:
i) Lock it down on the side corners.
ii) Use the locking sliders on the top and the bottom.
3. Reinstall the bulkhead cover and place the wiring loom back into place with its three (3) snaps (removed in Stage 1).
4. Push the rectangular assembly back into place.
5. Reinstall the micro-filter into place using the six (6) 8mm screws.
6. Secure the two (2) 8mm screws on both sides of the bulkhead cover.
Appreciate 0