E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Anyone had to give up a BMW for a lesser car because of budget issues?

Closed Thread

07-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #67
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I hear ya, but its nothing to be worked up about (your internet typing tone just oozes a lot of frustration like this --> ). Personally, I see this as more of an individual dealership issue and nothing more. I personally would just take my business else where OR kindly refuse service on that day and ask to be re-scheduled for an appointment when a BMW loaner can be made available.

BMW only claims that a loaner will be made available WITH an appointment, so technically they held up their part of the bargain? then again... I've heard on these forums where a guy in his 328 brings his car in for service and drives out in a new 650 GC as a loaner (I need to find out which dealership has these kinda rides as loaners and start going to them).
Is it really the end of the world for you guys if you dont get a BMW loaner?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #68
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

I once got a Nissan Sentra as a loaner.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed the hell out of it - my car was tied up for a week getting some work done and it made it that much sweeter to get back into it.
Though the Sentra was not a powerhouse, it was reliable, great on gas, and just a fun little car to drive around in- how could you go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #69
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

The BMW IS my lesser car due to budget constraints but it is a great car and I'm not complaining.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #70
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwillingham View Post

"I would drive a lesser car and probably still be happy"

I could definitely drive a lesser car (or not own a car) and still be happy. My car brings me joy but there's more to life than a car.
Or not own a car??? I can see being quite content with a non-fancy car, no problem. Is public transportation that good in Columbia, MD that with no car you could be happy? I could probably do that here in downtown DC where cabs, buses and Metro are always around, and I could, if necessary, walk to restaurants, grocers and dry cleaners over on Conn Ave. in Woodly Park. I live in a pretty suburban feeling part of DC between Mass and Cathedral, so walking to do routine chores isn't exactly something I'd welcome, but I could do it...However, I don't know that I'd be that "happy" by any stretch of the imagination trying to get around in the 'burbs without my own car of some sort. I would curse daily about having to go anywhere outside my immediate neighborhood.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #71
Nyulak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 535xi  [10.00]
In March of 2011, I totaled my E92. To keep a check on my budget (and to avoid mods), I bought a new Sonata Turbo. Just over one year later I traded it for my curren 2009 535xi. I should have just bought the 5er instead of existing with the numb-driving Hyundai.

I think the Hyundai was a good car, but after driving a modded E92 for so long and having a general dislike for front-drive cars, I don't think I could ever purchase another FWD vehicle again unless it got me great fuel economy (like a Golf GTD), then it would be my commuter car. I am about 1 mpg shy of my average Sonata mileage and I am driving all four wheels with a tune, so the long-term savings for fuel just weren't there, but the constant lack of steering feel and generally mediocre handling got me back into the BMW showroom. Of course, I didn't get the F30 or another E9x, instead going for the E60, but it is still better than the Sonata.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #72
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio
The BMW IS my lesser car due to budget constraints but it is a great car and I'm not complaining.
Ballin'
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #73
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Werd, i'm just slumming it with my Bimmer until I can afford a Zonda
      07-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #74
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Haven't had any personal experiences, but I'd say that you can find some decent alternatives that may still give you a similar thrill. Used WRX's, Golfs, S2000s, even an E46 coupe can do until the day things get better and you can get back into your dream car. Look at he glass half full, always!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #75
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Driving a car that you can reasonably afford is cooler than driving a car that you can't.

Nuff said...

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #76
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

After having at least 2 BMW parked in the drive way for more then a decade. I recently decided to not keep 2 BMW's. So after 5 years and 108K mile on the odometer we decided to trade in my wife's E60 545i last year.

I do not think it was a budget issue all the way. If I found the new F10 5 series to my liking I would have gone for it. However, to me the new F10 feels more like a 7 series then a 5 series. It feels less sporty then the E60. I remember when we were making a move from E39 5 series to the E60. It already felt bigger and bit less hard core. Now the F10 is just so soft core that I dislike driving it.

It drives less like BMW of old that and feels more reserved and synthetic. I guess that happens when a previous slogan of Driving Dynamics is replaced with new slogan of Efficient Dynamics.

Anyways if I am going to be limited to a synthetic feeling car then no need to spend thousands more for a BMW 5 series that has diluted driving dynamics. So for our family midsize sedan that is also my wife's main daily driver we went for a Hybrid.

Thus, we bought a 2013 KIA Optima Hybrid. The car has nice looks, interior layout and design looks upscale. The fit and finish is good. The ride is very nice, smooth and there is plenty of room in front and back seats. The transition between electric and 4 cylinder motor is not bad at all. Now the 4 cylinder is no where near as smooth as a inline-6 or BMW 4.4 liter V8. Then even the BMW 4 cylinder turbo is no better in smoothness.

The good thing is car has very German like in looks. It looks good on the road and drives decently. It uses regular gas instead of premium. My wife gets 38 mpg average in last 7 months of daily grind of stop and go traffic jams of inner city houston.

The services are a lot cheaper even though the service department is not as fancy. It is good to know that it comes with 100K powertrain warranty and 108K mile Hybrid system warranty. We plan on keeping this car well until after 100K miles.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianras876_bimmer_livin View Post
this just happened to me in a way. i took my car to this fuckin dealership and because they were backed up and have to hold my car for almost a week they had to give me a loner. and they gave me a piece of shit chevy malibu. if i wanted to drive a piece of shit american car i would have bought one.i have to deal with this for almost a week so i can imagine how it would feel to actually have to get rid of the car because of budget issue. fuckin dealership pissed me the fuck off how are they not gunna have a bmw loaner to give me?!?
Dude, you do realize that a E90 in Europe is a taxicab... In other words, an E90 IS a Malibu in Germany. Get over yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #78
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I agree in principal, but you can still feel entitled to the loaner: the dealership is making a PUTLOAD on the service you're in for, be it from you personally or from BMWNA for warranty repairs. The loaner is built into the high-priced model.
I get that, but I think many of us have been quite spoiled in this regard. Dealerships used to (and many still do) offer service loaners to customers as a perk for buying from them, and it's up to each individual dealer whether to have a loaner program or not (some are just using rental companies to cut costs).

If I were a service advisor and the original responder to this post came in as belligerently entitled as he appeared in his response, I'd give him a Chevrolet as well. Not even clear if he bought the car from that dealer.

When I get a loaner (especially from a dealer that didn't sell me the car), I'm quite thankful no matter what it is. The dealer where I've bought my last BMW is pretty cool about loaners, if I feel like driving a 5 series and they have one available, they'll give me one. If I started to act like this guy, I'd imagine I'd be in a Chevy Aveo from Enterprise - or taking the bus.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #79
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

There are hungry people in the world. People that don't have healthcare, can't pay bills, education, etc. I'd be embarrassed to complain that the BMW dealership gave me what I perceive to be an inferior loaner car while my car was being serviced.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #80
Grendeltouring
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormE91 View Post
There are hungry people in the world. People that don't have healthcare, can't pay bills, education, etc. I'd be embarrassed to complain that the BMW dealership gave me what I perceive to be an inferior loaner car while my car was being serviced.
You're not supposed to bring perspective in here .
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #81
indianras876_bimmer_livin
Don Dadda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Dude, you do realize that a E90 in Europe is a taxicab... In other words, an E90 IS a Malibu in Germany. Get over yourself.
well i live in miami not germany. get over urself. tf this is a free forum not a moral exercise. im not here to please u. just say howimfeel and keep it moving. u should do the same gtfoh
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #82
supLOL
Banned
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" E89 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianras876_bimmer_livin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
well i live in miami not germany. get over urself. tf this is a free forum not a moral exercise. im not here to please u. just say howimfeel and keep it moving. u should do the same gtfoh
You know in Miami an '09 335i is like an every day beater to most people? Any way you slice it, you're no better than anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #83
Don Dadda
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendeltouring View Post
I get that, but I think many of us have been quite spoiled in this regard. Dealerships used to (and many still do) offer service loaners to customers as a perk for buying from them, and it's up to each individual dealer whether to have a loaner program or not (some are just using rental companies to cut costs).

If I were a service advisor and the original responder to this post came in as belligerently entitled as he appeared in his response, I'd give him a Chevrolet as well. Not even clear if he bought the car from that dealer.

When I get a loaner (especially from a dealer that didn't sell me the car), I'm quite thankful no matter what it is. The dealer where I've bought my last BMW is pretty cool about loaners, if I feel like driving a 5 series and they have one available, they'll give me one. If I started to act like this guy, I'd imagine I'd be in a Chevy Aveo from Enterprise - or taking the bus.
for your information they gave me that car before i went off the wall so the point u made is irrelevant

Last edited by indianras876_bimmer_livin; 07-19-2013 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #84
Don Dadda
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=supLOL;14354561]You know in Miami an '09 335i is like an every day beater to most people? Any way you slice it, you're no better than anyone

again i dnt give a fuck if i drove a e46 its my car. i dnt care wat the next person feel about the way i reacted or acted. i never said i was better than anyone thats a point yall want to hold on 2
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #85
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
Is it really the end of the world for you guys if you dont get a BMW loaner?
I personally don't care if i get a loaner cuz i have other cars and most of the time i just drop it off at the dealership and then just take the train into work for the entire day
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #86
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
I once got a Nissan Sentra as a loaner.

Quite frankly, I enjoyed the hell out of it - my car was tied up for a week getting some work done and it made it that much sweeter to get back into it.
Though the Sentra was not a powerhouse, it was reliable, great on gas, and just a fun little car to drive around in- how could you go wrong?
Nissan I'm a fan and an owner of one
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #87
JohnSprm69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW e92

just had to let go of my car to down grade to my dd 06 honda accord and 02 chevy tahoe for a while till i can upgrade and get another car. most likely wont be another BMW. i got my eye on some american muscle :cough:new GT500:cough:new C7:cough:cough:
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #88
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Driving a car that you can reasonably afford is cooler than driving a car that you can't.

Nuff said...
if only more people understood this concept we probably wouldn't have had a recession
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread