E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No bass?

02-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
BluStew335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

No bass?

Hows it going guys?

A quick run down of whats been happening.

I installed 2 JBL 1000watts and an Alpine MRP-500 last year into my e92. Played really hard, and really well for a very long time, until one of my subs blew. Ever since I've been running just 1 JBL. (still sounded great). Today i went out and bought myself another JBL, newer, but same power by the looks of it.

Once the two subs were put into its original box, I threw it in the trunk. Connected everything, turned it up, and nothing.

Disconnected the new sub, and it POUNDED. Sounded good as ever. Plugged back in the new sub, and nothing..Subs move like crazy, but no sound.

So I tried it the other way this time, thinking the new sub was defective. New sub pounded just as hard, but once I plug in the old one, I get no bass. The subs just move, but dont create any sound.

Basically, when both subs are connected, I'm not getting any bass. When either ONE is connected, it plays hard. Whats happening here?

Thanks in advance!
2007 BMW 335i E92 - JB4 - BMS DCI - Deleted Secondary Cats - Carbon Fibre Interior Wrap - FK Silverline-X Coilovers - 12mm Rear Spacers - Golf-Tee Mod - RPi Air Scoops - AeroLip Front Spoiler - Black Grills upper and lower -
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStew335i View Post
Hows it going guys?

A quick run down of whats been happening.

I installed 2 JBL 1000watts and an Alpine MRP-500 last year into my e92. Played really hard, and really well for a very long time, until one of my subs blew. Ever since I've been running just 1 JBL. (still sounded great). Today i went out and bought myself another JBL, newer, but same power by the looks of it.

Once the two subs were put into its original box, I threw it in the trunk. Connected everything, turned it up, and nothing.

Disconnected the new sub, and it POUNDED. Sounded good as ever. Plugged back in the new sub, and nothing..Subs move like crazy, but no sound.

So I tried it the other way this time, thinking the new sub was defective. New sub pounded just as hard, but once I plug in the old one, I get no bass. The subs just move, but dont create any sound.

Basically, when both subs are connected, I'm not getting any bass. When either ONE is connected, it plays hard. Whats happening here?

Thanks in advance!
Is one wired out of phase from the other?
      02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
BluStew335i
Private First Class
Rep

just checked it. it seems okay to me?
2007 BMW 335i E92 - JB4 - BMS DCI - Deleted Secondary Cats - Carbon Fibre Interior Wrap - FK Silverline-X Coilovers - 12mm Rear Spacers - Golf-Tee Mod - RPi Air Scoops - AeroLip Front Spoiler - Black Grills upper and lower -
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluStew335i View Post
just checked it. it seems okay to me?
You don't seem sure. Do you know how to check? Also, are you sure you know what impedance you're wiring to? If you wire them in series, you would effectively be getting a quarter of the power (e.g. at 4 ohms you are getting 400 watts for one sub, at 8 ohms you are getting 200 watts for two subs or 100 each, I know it's not always double/half, but you get the picture).
      02-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
BluStew335i
Private First Class
Rep

I was told to run + and - from the amp, to + and negative on one sub. Then from that sub, run + and - to the other sub?
Appreciate 0